Home

Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem

Posted By: AmendII71

Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 06:12 PM

Okay everyone. Used Berkshire Disposable Stakes for the first time this year. Really Bad Experience. Please give me your opinions on what you think happened.

Made a couple of twin dirt hole sets with bait in one hole, coyote lure in the other one. Set a MB450 in the trap bet utilizing a Berkshire disposable stake hooked to the trap chain with a 3/8 quick link. Three days later I came to one of the traps sets to find an obvious well defined trap catch circle, the disposable stake still in the ground but with the open empty loop end of the cable sticking up. The Quick link was attached to the disposable stake but was almost completely open. The trap was gone. There was a few drops of blood on some of the sticks around the catch circle but nothing substantial as if there had been a kill by a thief.

A. Am I an idiot and simply forget to tighten my quick link?

B. Someone found the catch, and dispatched it and stole the trap leaving the quick link?

C. The Quick link was worked loose by the K-9 slowly because the quick link was connected straight from the trap chain to the loop with the three swivels all being above the connection point, therefore allowing the cable and quick link to continually bind and work loose as the animal circled the trap anchor point over and over?

D. Other Opinion
Posted By: mauser06

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 06:35 PM

I will take B.

I don't use quick links...but I can't imagine one working loose...and the opening isn't huge so there'd be some luck involved for the cable to slip out of left open. Possible...but 9 times out of 10 I'd imagine it would hold them even if open.

There's numerous ways to dispatch. If you're leaving blood... especially more than a couple drops, you're doing it different than me....
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 06:43 PM

Not sure what size 3/8" is that you refer to, the 3 sizes available from trap supply houses are small (made of 1/8" steel) , large (made of 3/16" steel ") and extra large ( made of 5/16" steel ) I use the large size and have held 40lbs + coyotes. The smaller 1/8" size is only good for coons, I've had them open up pulling traps with rebar stakes fairly easily. Does the link look bent or threads stripped ? It is possible the nut, if left loose, could have backed off. How was the link attached to the trap ?
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 08:20 PM

I would guess catch and trap stolen. I use quick links and carry a small wrench to tighten them, primarily to prevent theft

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 08:25 PM

Sorry. 3/16 is the size of the quick link. Loop on end of cable is attached to quick link. Then quick link is connected to #2 chain about 4 links worth. Then to a swivel, then 7 more links of chain and then swivel at attachment to trap. The threads on the quick link that was left open and still hooked to the loop end of the cable is fine and I able to tighten and loosen it fine.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 08:42 PM

crayfish
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 08:53 PM

I use quick links and tighten them with a wrench. I say someone has your catch and trap.
Posted By: yote65Ga

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 11:04 PM

If quick link was tightened with a wrench or pliers it was definitely theft. Tightening with a pliers I have never had a quick link back off on the threads but doing it this way the thief needs a wrench, pliers or bolt cutters to get to the trap.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 11:11 PM

Sounds like the quick link was exposed after the catch was made and if the critter could get to it, it could have been bitten/chewed on. If it was only finger tight, it is possible that it could have loosened up more during the chewing and struggle by the critter. I say it is possible because I had it happen to me with a beaver trap on a drowning rod that I had only finger tightened the quick link. The water level was dropping so it was possible that the struggle lasted a while. When I checked the set, the trap was not in the bed and the lock was out of site. I pulled the drowner rod and only had a section of chain and an open quick link. I was really kicking myself for being a dummy and not tightening the link with a wrench or pliers.

But since the water was only about 3' to 4' deep at most, I put my waders and tater rake to work and a few minutes later I had the beaver and my MB 750 fished out. Still not sure I would have believed it if I had not had it happen to me. The quick link was not damaged, just open. Threads were fine. And the 750 still had a firm grip on the beavers foot. And it was only a few feet downstream from where the deep end of the drowner rod was. I still think the likelyhood of that happening is pretty slim but not impossible.

Not implying that is what happened in your case but it at least a possibility

I guarantee you that I use a tool to tighten quick links now.

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/27/18 11:26 PM

I have not been using a tool to tighten my quick links. I have just been hand tightening and I noticed here lately I have been not REMEMBERING if I tightened them or not. I have been hand tightening them because in the past I have allot of times pulled traps but left the stake knowing I would come back a few days later when work allowed me to trap again. When I had tightened them before with a tool allot of the times they would then rust up so tight I could not get them off and would have to dig up the stakes. Guess I learned my lesson there. Better off tightening the heck out of them and having to pull stakes than having them work off.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 12:18 AM

Stop with the quick links and get the Sleep EZ hooks. That way three bad things have to have(or not happen depends on how you look at it). First the "nut" has to become unscrewed. Second, the animal would have to grab the clip or run it against a skinny tree or branch to depress the spring. Third, the animal has to work the chain out of the opening.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 12:35 AM

I’m still stuck on the 3 day check.

But out of all the possible scenarios, I’ll go with “B”.
As of yet I’ve never had an issue with the quick links. It would take a lot of brains and chain for a critter to figure out how to unscrew it. Mine are attached to the swivel and I have trouble loosening them after setting. Someone not only got your trap, but your critter as well.
Posted By: mauser06

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 12:35 AM

What is the reason for the quick link anyways???

Why not loop the cable through the chain and close a ferrule?

Maybe I am missing something. Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong...I don't know.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 12:38 AM

Private or Public land would lean me in one direction or another and you can guess which way.... the mike

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by mauser06

Maybe I am missing something. Maybe I'm doing something completely wrong...I don't know.

Quick links are just that.....Quick to attach\detach. Tightening the with a wrench makes it harder for the casual thief to steel them. Some use J hooks and carry a tool to attach\detach them. Probably even more secure
Posted By: PmbnaTrpr

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 03:11 AM

This year I was using quick links on my dog proof traps and had this exact same thing happen. I had the dp quick linked to the wolf fang anchor. I came down a hill and saw three catch circles and only two coon.. So I looked at my wolf fang anchor and the quick link was opened but still on the anchor and the trap was gone. I was starting to think thieves but why would they only take one of three? (I had set these traps the day before.) after looking around for a good hour I found my trap on a big coon that climbed up a tree and got hung up... I must've forgot to tighten the quick link. Needless to say that I'll just be cabling the anchors right to the traps next year so it never happens again. If a coon could do it maybe a coyote could to.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 03:30 AM

I use quick links all the time and I hand tighten. Never had one even close to open . You been robbed... Like and old guy once told me, Locks are only to help keep honest people honest....
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 03:34 AM

I will take B.

me too!
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 11:31 AM

I'll go with b. I run quick links on my coyote sets and have never had an issue.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 06:55 PM

I have never had a quick link open up on me. But I always tighten with a wrench.
Why use quick links. Because if you want to replace a dirty or messed up trap at the set your just seconds from changing out traps. If you can't get your anchors out It's easy to remove the trap and just leave your anchors.
Every trap and snare I have Is connected to my anchor with a quick link.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I have never had a quick link open up on me. But I always tighten with a wrench.
Why use quick links. Because if you want to replace a dirty or messed up trap at the set your just seconds from changing out traps. If you can't get your anchors out It's easy to remove the trap and just leave your anchors.

Also if you remove an anchor you have to move trap because a new anchor is not going to hold in the loose dirt from pulling one. Trust me, and if you don't want to that is fine but when you lose a catch because anchor came out just remember, ITold You So.....

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/28/18 09:41 PM

its a no brainer! You either forgot to close the link (done it) or didn't tighten it. Use of them is quick, easy and gives some protection from theft!

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/31/18 05:17 PM

Guess what.

Set 8 cables yesterday first one checked this morning I can see the catch circle 200 yards away. No coyote no snare either. Dug around and guess what there Is a OPEN quick link.
You can never say never but I didn't use my wrench either.
But I did catch one today. Now It's raining go figure.

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 12/31/18 06:12 PM

smile
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/01/19 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by SkyeDancer

Quick links are just that.....Quick to attach\detach. Tightening the with a wrench makes it harder for the casual thief to steel them. Some use J hooks and carry a tool to attach\detach them. Probably even more secure

x2 on the J hooks
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 12:51 AM

I would say B unless your quick link wasn't tightened with a wrench or vice grips, then anything may be possible. I am more confident in them than an unwelded j hook. Did you have trouble with the stakes too? Sounded like you weren't happy with them in the first paragraph?
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 03:43 AM

I have not been using a tool to tighten my quick links. I have just been hand tightening and I noticed here lately I have been not REMEMBERING if I tightened them or not.

==========

I believe that with this disclosure you provided the necessary information to answer your own question.

I use a screwdriver and a wrench to tighten them. When properly tightened, they are secure.
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 04:30 AM

This exact issue has come up on hear several times over the years. The quick link can open when a critter is working the set if they are just finger tight. You've got to use vice grip or channel locks to tight the quick link.

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 11:40 AM

A small wrench of the right size is cheap and easier to carry

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 11:43 AM

Skye - that is exactly what I carry. I also use a flat screwdriver to hold the link to get better leverage.

Personally, I cannot imagine intentionally using them “finger tight”!

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 12:11 PM

The screw driver or something similar, is really important when it comes time to pick them up as the link can be frozen or caked in mud
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 02:09 PM

It is also very easy to lose if you do not tether it to something. I keep a good pair of pliers and screwdriver in my bucket, pack or tool belt to tighten and loosen them. Helps keep the two legged critters from casually walking off with something also. Not many folks walking around with tools in their pockets.

I am using the quick links mostly to attach extension cables when water trapping though. Have a friend who uses the large split rings and he had some beaver snares casually walk off the other day.

Quick links are one of many tools and I consider them a great addition to my tool box. The only time I have had a problem with them was my fault 100%.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 05:56 PM

I use the same set up and never had one open or break. My guess is you got ripped off or yeah it does happen you forgot to close it. I pulled one up one time and guess what never connected it trap was bedded no quick connect, just bedded the trap without hooking up. Ever checked your conibear and see the safety latches on, it happens. Lost my trapping trowel one day came back over the line on the next check found it next to the set with a dandy coyote all chewed up, so much for wiley coyote or trapper.

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly

It is also very easy to lose if you do not tether it to something. I keep a good pair of pliers and screwdriver in my bucket, pack or tool belt to tighten and loosen them. Helps keep the two legged critters from casually walking off with something also. Not many folks walking around with tools in their pockets.

I am using the quick links mostly to attach extension cables when water trapping thvough. Have a friend who uses the large split rings and he had some beaver snares casually walk off the other day.

Quick links are one of many tools and I consider them a great addition to my tool box. The only time I have had a problem with them was my fault 100%.

I guess being a bit compulsive about putting the wrench back in it’s place back in the setting bag pays off as I’ve never lost one

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/02/19 09:13 PM

For the most part I do all that back in the shop.
Is It possible that If a coyote runs around creating that catch circle that a quick link rubbing on the ground could come un done?
I'm just about positive that I tightened down that quick link. But The neighbor lady who Is drop dead gorgeous did ride up on me on her horse while I was hanging that snare and distracted me. LOL
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/03/19 12:51 AM

^^ cool

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/03/19 02:08 AM

Is It possible that If a coyote runs around creating that catch circle that a quick link rubbing on the ground could come un done?
I'm just about positive that I tightened down that quick link. But The neighbor lady who Is drop dead gorgeous did ride up on me on her horse while I was hanging that snare and distracted me. LOL

Now that is one of the best excuses!

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/03/19 04:46 AM

It's a true story.

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/03/19 07:50 AM

Beav - I never doubted the veracity of your story. It is a wonderful excuse - one of those situations which just does not happen frequently enough.

I can only hope that when I someday may forget to tighten a quick link that the reason is as good or better.

I do have a story about the holding power of a 3/16” quick link. At a new coyote set an mb550 was connected to a cable stake with a 3/16” quick link. The land was also used by a deer hunter who had permission. I do not know if it was the deer hunter. However, some person found the trap and tried to remove it. They connected it to a 4 wheeler or something and really pulled but the stake and quicklink held. The trap did not come apart, but is so bent that the only reusable part is the pan.

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/03/19 08:26 AM

=======

Beav - I do the same with all of my traps and snares. I terminate the chain with a 3/16” quick link. I switched over to this complete system / method after reading your description about doing this. I thought that it sounded brilliant and would suit me very well in my methods of securing traps and snares and organizing equipment. Thank you!

This method adds tremendous versatility for various soil conditions and applications. It also simplifies cleanup, waxing, and storage. No more not having the correct fastening system attached.

I have multiple staking systems with a few links of chain that can be attached as desired. Single stake swivel anchors, double stake swivel anchors, chained finned super stakes, cable stakes where the top 6” is chain, and cable extensions of different lengths usually used with snares and 220s and 330s.

Another system / method that I learned here is the predrilling as taught by Taximan. Thank you Taximan! I carry a high power cordless 1/2” hammer drill to predrill stake holes. When the ground is not frozen, I use long ship auger drill bits from Harbor freight. Of course I also use it to power a 2” or 3” auger to drill dirt holes for bait and lure. When the ground is frozen, I use long Bosch carbide masonry bits to predrill stake holes. I also have a large carbide masonry bit to drill out mouse holes for lure and bait and to rough drill out a trap bed in the frozen soil. Then, it is necessary to just chip out the remaining areas. Predrilling stake holes and drilling holes for lure and bait saves a tremendous amount of wear and tear on old beat up shoulders and wrists.

These two methods / systems are the best that I have learned here on Trapperman. Thank you guys!

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/03/19 09:52 PM

Hung 8 CRs today with no distractions. And I used a wrench on every quick link.
The biggest problem Is I didn't bring enough gear with Me. I could have hung at least 10 more.

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/03/19 11:10 PM

As I always say; the body may age, but the mind remains young

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/04/19 01:44 AM

Too bad you had no encounter with the gorgeous gal.

That is better than hanging snares any day.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Quick Links with Disposable Stake Problem - 01/04/19 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by grey55
If quick link was tightened with a wrench or pliers it was definitely theft. Tightening with a pliers I have never had a quick link back off on the threads but doing it this way the thief needs a wrench, pliers or bolt cutters to get to the trap.

I like this idea and thoughts ^^^^
© 2024 Trapperman Forums