Home

Regular jaw long spring mod?

Posted By: Utahwolfer

Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/27/18 07:22 PM

I picked up several victor #3 longspring traps with the regular jaws, my question is, can you mod these traps to use them as an offset jaw trap? Thanks for any help on this.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/27/18 08:59 PM

Ether cut them out or tack to the inside edge

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/27/18 10:12 PM

I appreciate it, I just didn’t know (or wanted to check) that it wouldn’t mess with the lockup on the springs to the jaws.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/27/18 11:51 PM

You can also wrap wire around the jaws to make them offset. I've also seen Trappers use hog rings to make them offset. For those city folks - a hog ring is a piece of metal that is put in the hogs nose. Supposed to keep it from rooting.

In my opinion, physically cutting away part of the jaw to make the trap offset would be a last resort. With the other methods, the trap can be converted back to regular jaws. Cutting away part of the jaw is permanent.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/28/18 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
You can also wrap wire around the jaws to make them offset. I've also seen Trappers use hog rings to make them offset. For those city folks - a hog ring is a piece of metal that is put in the hogs nose. Supposed to keep it from rooting.

In my opinion, physically cutting away part of the jaw to make the trap offset would be a last resort. With the other methods, the trap can be converted back to regular jaws. Cutting away part of the jaw is permanent.

True but wrapping wire or a hog ring or welding a bump on the jaw will change lock up of the trap. It may not be enough to be a concern with longspring traps but it would make a difference.
Posted By: Lurp

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/28/18 04:11 PM

My understanding is that the whole point of offsets is to allow the levers to ride higher up on the jaws to ensure a stronger lock up. All the mods suggested above besides removing material from the jaws just spaces the jaws out, but do nothing to allow the levers/springs to ride higher on the jaws. This makes for a weaker lock up rather than just leaving the jaws as is. I would either remove the material from the jaws or as leave them be (would be my preference as DLS already have a strong lock up).

If this is to comply with a state law then disregard my post.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/28/18 04:47 PM

Wire or spot weld bump, doesn’t have but one benefit. To comply with regulations for some states , ..offset jaws .
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/28/18 06:55 PM

Lurp - your point is well taken. However, you missed one key point in the original post. He is talking about long spring traps. There aren't any levers on long spring traps.

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/29/18 05:49 PM

The reason for the question is because of state law. Thanks for the help
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/29/18 06:05 PM

You may want to check with Sterling Fur and see if they have offset jaws that will work for those traps. They have lots of trap parts. Just swap out the jaws and you would be good to go.
Posted By: Lurp

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/29/18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Lurp - your point is well taken. However, you missed one key point in the original post. He is talking about long spring traps. There aren't any levers on long spring traps.

That was understood when I said Levers/Springs smile. Levers or springs, offsets have the same function on both styles.
Posted By: ApacheKid

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/30/18 02:50 PM

Try welding two 1/4 inch nuts on each of the jaws and offset to each other. By welding one on each of the jaws it evens the weight to each of them, Also any other modifications will take to long to accomplish.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/30/18 11:42 PM

Wire takes about a minute to do and can be undone when you want to sell the traps later. It won't affect the rise of the springs because the foot holds the jaws open more than the off set.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: Regular jaw long spring mod? - 12/31/18 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by tjm
Wire takes about a minute to do and can be undone when you want to sell the traps later. It won't affect the rise of the springs because the foot holds the jaws open more than the off set.

X2 .. I can’t understand why more people doesn’t understand lock up will not be effected.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums