Home

Painting cable restraints

Posted By: UPoldman

Painting cable restraints - 02/03/19 11:25 PM

Those of you that snare, do you paint your cable restraints for use in snow? If so any tips.
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 01:15 AM

I have painted with spray paint a few weeks before I put em out. I did
It mostly to hide them from human eyes, not the critters. You can also
boil them in baking soda for a half hour. That will really cut down on the
shine.
Posted By: coytclr

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by clintp1971
You can also
boil them in baking soda for a half hour. That will really cut down on the
shine.

I would not boil any cables as it can damage the cable, plus there is a better way, and that is go to Walmart auto section and look for the purple jug, called SUPER LEAN. Does the job and NO boiling needed.
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 03:21 AM

I boil all mine and never had any issues. Let them dry for a day and then paint. I painted some this year and set them 5 days later. Caught 3 coyotes that night so don't let guys tell you they have to air out for weeks. I really like the color "strawflower" and then break it up a bit with some flat brown. Works well for me. Good luck!
Posted By: H380

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 04:03 AM

Dishwasher is the best way to remove grease from your cable .. I also paint mine with colors that match the surroundings but let em air out .. I have seen where coyotes refused human scent left in boot tracks ... paint is much more arromatic and I dont want to risk educating them .
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 04:15 AM

I boil In baking soda and can't see any damage done to the cable. I painted a few this year but I didn't see any difference In my catch ration between un painted and painted.

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 12:50 PM

My reason to paint my cable restraints is to make them white to hide them in the snow. Will that work?

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 03:02 PM

All you need to do Is knock off the shine. I wouldn't paint them white I'm thinking that might just make them more noticeable. Lots of grey and brown and black back ground colors out there so a stark white might not be the way to go.
But paint one white and give It a try.

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 05:00 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Kent
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by UPoldman
My reason to paint my cable restraints is to make them white to hide them in the snow. Will that work?
It will help some if the background as seen FROM THE ANIMALS VIEWPOINT is white, otherwise they will stand out like a sore thumb. In most all situations a snare seen by an animal will be viewed against a gray to dark bush coloration whereas the trapper generally sees it against a white ground background.
Posted By: 653

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/04/19 09:53 PM

I spray paint mine but also put in oven when wife is working to cure on low heat if I have to use soon. I have had catches on fresh paint but I believe wind was right as ive had refusals also.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/07/19 06:52 PM

Use sand camo paint, it blends in with most backgrounds. Hang em the next day, it doesn't make any difference.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/08/19 06:09 PM

I would never paint snares white,Even in MT,snow doesn't last that long,and you are left with snares that are worse than you started with.

Carry some white chalk and chalk the bottom half of your loop.This will break up the outline and when the snow melts you can wipe it off or go over it with a darker chalk.This can be done right on the spot with no odor or need to air out the snare.Simple,effective and cheap.

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/08/19 06:39 PM

Good tip Taximan.

I spray painted a few Cables this year and I could smell paint for weeks on those cables. I'm not taking any chances with smell.
I ended up leaving them hang outside for a month and that had them odor free.

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/08/19 07:58 PM

I think the same way,Beav.I have a poor sniffer and if I can smell anything,then I won't put them out.I just won't take the chance.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/09/19 03:10 PM

The first time Ive painted cables was this year, lots of refusals. even deer.. Won't happen again.

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/09/19 04:32 PM

When I paint some,I do it in the Summer and throw them up on my steel shed roof that is like an oven.Same thing with supports.They usually won't see action till November,some,even longer.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/09/19 04:42 PM

Crazy. I paint snares and supports all the time and never had a bit of trouble. Maybe you all are using a stinkier paint?

Killpole supports were dipped in exterior latex Sherwin Williams paint (I buy mis-tinted gallons and have them add black or brown or whatever until its a camo color) ...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For these I used Rustolium Camo Colors ...
[Linked Image]

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/09/19 05:17 PM

How many refusals do you have? If your setting in no snow conditions how do you know?

I would rather be safe then sorry. Painting ahead of time and letting them air out Isn't a big deal. And If you catch one more coyote It's worth It.

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/09/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
How many refusals do you have? If your setting in no snow conditions how do you know?

I would rather be safe then sorry. Painting ahead of time and letting them air out Isn't a big deal. And If you catch one more coyote It's worth It.

Exactly! That is why I camo them. You have no idea how many you are missing with those boiled snares.
Posted By: songdog man

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/10/19 10:10 PM

I'm gonna spray paint my snares camo for beaver. Never have but I'm gonna try it.
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/11/19 01:51 AM

I paint all my restraints and supports. Normally I do this at least a couple months in advance but did paint several this year a week before setting them and still had great results. Many of them where well blended in to good spots whick I think has more to do with refusals than scent does. If they are well blended I have very few refusals. But what works for one guy doesn't always seem to work for others. To each their own.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/12/19 01:07 PM

Why paint snare supports or kill poles anyway ? Think about it folks unless your trapping in the middle of Alaska or some other places like that every target animal has seen a fence or walked past some barbed wire laying in the grass so it's no big deal, keep it simple and fast and effective I use snares with kill springs the majority of the time because I want a quick and humane kill on my target animal without packing a bunch of extra unnecessary things into the area I'll be snaring.
I also boil my snares in baking soda I've also gone as far as to add juniper berries and leaves or even some sage brush to the boil pot because it's common where I set the snares and a natural odor, spray paint isn't .
So why not add what ever is common to your area for brush and collect it while scouting the area before you set the snares ?
If boiling snares is good enough for my good friend Keith Gregerson who has caught more animals in snares than most people it's good enough for me and he's done it without kill poles imagine that.
Posted By: H380

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/12/19 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
Why paint snare supports or kill poles anyway ? Think about it folks unless your trapping in the middle of Alaska or some other places like that every target animal has seen a fence or walked past some barbed wire laying in the grass so it's no big deal, keep it simple and fast and effective I use snares with kill springs the majority of the time because I want a quick and humane kill on my target animal without packing a bunch of extra unnecessary things into the area I'll be snaring.
I also boil my snares in baking soda I've also gone as far as to add juniper berries and leaves or even some sage brush to the boil pot because it's common where I set the snares and a natural odor, spray paint isn't .
So why not add what ever is common to your area for brush and collect it while scouting the area before you set the snares ?
If boiling snares is good enough for my good friend Keith Gregerson who has caught more animals in snares than most people it's good enough for me and he's done it without kill poles imagine that.

This ^^^^.. Ive done the same thing when I need snares or extensions in short order , no smell but I still prefer to paint for a camo effect if I have time to let them air out like over the summer .

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/12/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear

Keeps them getting rusty. Extends their lives. Keeps my gloves cleaner.

You do it your way, I'll do it the right way. LOL
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Painting cable restraints - 02/13/19 02:13 AM

I guess I've been away too long
© 2024 Trapperman Forums