Home

Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes

Posted By: High-Desert

Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/06/19 06:26 PM

Hello,
Does anyone have any opinions on the bridger #2 dogless 4 coil traps for bobcat and yotes? I’ve used the #3 SC traps that I 4 coiled, but have wanted to add traps. Or should I stick with the SC’s. Any thoughts on dogless Bridgers vs the regular Bridgers. Thanks

Eric
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/06/19 06:37 PM

I have used the bridger #2 dogless, but never connected with them, But I have used the bridger #3 dogless 4 coiled and laminated a lot and they work awesome on coyotes and cats. The only time I have ever had toe catches in the 3s is when the ground was lightly froze. I have caught a few coyotes caught clear up to their "elbow" in the #3s a few times also. Almost all of the time the #3 has deep pad catches. However, like I said, I have ran the #2s but just never connected with them because I only have 2 of them. Also, if you plan to stick with the SC's, I would suggest getting some soon, because I herd they are closing their doors.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/06/19 09:06 PM

I would recommend changing out the pan bolts.

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/06/19 09:15 PM

Thanks everyone. I’ve been having a heck of a time deciding. I know it shouldn’t be that hard to decide, but it’s not like I’m buying a new truck, this is an important decision.
Posted By: Wanbli

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/06/19 10:28 PM

I use both Bridger & Duke #2 4coil OS w/dog for cats. I have some expose and covered sets that have connected. I think one of them this year was a toe catch that got away. Not enough left behind to know for certain if it was a cat or coon that stumbled into my set. I literally found 2 small phalanges and blood at the catch site but no discernible fur or claw.
I plan to buy more #2's for next year. I felt #3's were more trap than I needed and they're more expensive.

I've seen guys on youtube who use 1.75 Bridgers for coyotes and cats all day long in PA & OH.

So, that's all I've got. Don't know if it helps your decision.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/06/19 10:53 PM

I bought a dz of the # 2 dogless, put jc Conner lams on the outside, put on a shock spring, used them for fishers. Really like this trap, caught fishers in them , no foot issues at all. I like the #2, I would get 6 of each n see which one you like better.
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/06/19 10:59 PM

I used some this year and I liked them, no problems. I'm new to trapping and have five different brands, two dozen each. I was trying to find something that didn't break the bank but worked. The Bridger #2 fit the bill. I used underalls and pan covers and did not notice any difference between the two.
Posted By: Terrence j

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/06/19 11:54 PM

I use the Bridger #2 dogless and have had great success with them. I have caught both bobcats and yotes with them and I run them alongside my kb 5.5 traps and I have great catches in both but the Bridger are much cheaper and still available vers the job traps.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/07/19 02:10 AM

I think they are a great trap...good jaw spread, well made and reasonable price. I haven't seen the need for the 4 coil
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/07/19 03:25 AM

I've held everything that has stepped on them. Bed easy, easy to tune, and reasonable to buy. Give them a try.
Posted By: kabguy

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/07/19 03:48 AM

I second yukonal's opinion; I bought a couple dozen to try out last year and this and have been very satisfied as well. The two coiled have held fox, bobcat, coyotes, and a few wolves very well. I like them so much I plan on buying a couple more dozen.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/07/19 04:30 AM

I have a lot of #2 mod. Bridgers ,mostly regular dog. I used a dozen of the #2 dogless this season....2 coiled. I had got the springs to 4 coil, but the 2 spring were very stiff. They bed flat, and hold well. My only issue was with the factory night latch. Some were extremely sensitive and needed tinkering.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/08/19 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Some were extremely sensitive and needed tinkering.

I've never set a trap that I haven't tuned first. Should be SOP.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/08/19 10:04 PM

Bridger #2 dogless is my goto trap no problems with coyote or cats . Mine are 2 coiled
J
Posted By: KB64

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/09/19 04:08 PM

They hold well, caught a 50+ lb wild hog in one and held a coyote by two rear toes. Plus a bunch of coyotes and a few fox. 2 coiled
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/09/19 04:13 PM

Most offsets (bridgers especially) are too wide for cats in stock form.

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/09/19 04:46 PM

Thanks for your replies, I think I’ll give them a try for next season. I’ll most likely order a single trap of several brands just to mess with and see how I like them.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/09/19 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin

Pfff.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/09/19 06:22 PM

In general - A trap that works well in the Fall may be marginable when snow makes guiding less effective and ice slows firing speed.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/09/19 06:34 PM

Last season I left a friend use a couple of #2 Bridgers on his farm and he caught and held a 75lb sheep lol
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/11/19 07:35 PM

I tend to agree with you here.

Cats approach sets from backarsewards directions sometimes and toe catches seem to be more common than with K9s. That first lunge after trap fires must hold the cat.

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/11/19 08:47 PM

What do you mean too wide, as in jaw spread or too large of an offset?
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/11/19 09:51 PM

Too large of an offset. Cat feet are not coyote feet. Any cat can flatten their feet out. Probably has to do with the retractable claws.

Grab your dogs feet....then grab any house cats feet. Those cat feet get pretty flat.
Not every catch is a nice high one, no matter what you do.
But to each their own.

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/11/19 09:53 PM

They have a wider offset gap when closed. You can take a grinder and take a littlenoff the stops to close the gap up. Takes very little time
J
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/12/19 03:44 PM

Too large of an offset. Cat feet are not coyote feet. Any cat can flatten their feet out. Probably has to do with the retractable claws.

Grab your dogs feet....then grab any house cats feet. Those cat feet get pretty flat.
Not every catch is a nice high one, no matter what you do.
But to each their own.

Keep the trap exposed and you wont have to worry about toe catches haha.

I think the Bridger Dogless traps are the perfect trap for exposed cat sets. Huge pan that doesn't need to be modified. Perfect for those who don't want to or don't have the ability to weld on an expanded pan.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/13/19 12:45 AM

I am begining to have problems with mine. The lever arms are shifting over to the point that when trying to set, the lever arm drags on the base and locks up, preventing you from being able to set the trap. I have to periodically tap them with a hammer to recenter the lever arms, shouldnt have to do that. I am beginning to beleive yotes are torqueing the baseplates. I had two like that today, both just made catches.

Re: Bridger #2 dogless for bobcat/yotes - 02/15/19 01:54 AM

I ve never had any trouble with the base plate but have had a coyote tweak the levers a little. I just stuck a scew driver through the hole in the lever and squared it back up to jaws. Have had to do thesame to my dukes every once in awhile. Get this I had a coyote bend the stainless steel dog on a 550 last year amazing what they can do
J
© 2024 Trapperman Forums