Home

Snare lock preference

Posted By: Kirby01

Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 05:08 PM

Micros, slim, mini cams

thanks
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 05:17 PM

Cam locks are not legal in KY. Slim locks work well.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 05:42 PM

In order of preference micro, Amberg and cam locks(with teeth) .

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 05:59 PM

Anthony

I dont trap in just KY.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 06:14 PM

mini cam locks are by far my favorite, toothed or not for everything I snare.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 06:30 PM

Slim for yotes and beaver
Bmi mini and low pro for mink

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 07:45 PM

ADC

I am looking at the black dog mini cams on dakotaline snares. I likethe fact they are very small but I can still see the lock at a distance to know if my snare is down or not. But the slims I have off a few snares from Newt vanish
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 10:12 PM

Adams for fox and cats and Amberg or Thompson(with kill spring) for wolf.
Posted By: bad karma

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/15/19 10:36 PM

stainless steel slim locks from Newt.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/16/19 01:21 AM

Gregerson
Posted By: Newt

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/16/19 11:53 AM

NEWT'S MASTER LOCK

Which is Stainless Steel
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/16/19 12:11 PM

ACP super relax when in eastern dog areas or Newts Master lock. But they all work if the snaremen knows how to load a cable to the lock.

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/16/19 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kirby01
ADC

I am looking at the black dog mini cams on dakotaline snares. I likethe fact they are very small but I can still see the lock at a distance to know if my snare is down or not.

Those are good locks.

If I had to choose a one piece lock it would be a BMI mini lock. If I had to choose a "relaxing" lock it would be the Newt's lock.
Posted By: Duckstick80

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/16/19 09:11 PM

I've been using death blow cam locks and I'm happy with them. A guy a few miles away is using over sized cam locks on 5/64 1x19 cable and I snare at least one a year wearing one of his around their neck after they chew out! They are always full of hair and loose.

Not sure what brand he uses but I have a pic.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mawdy man

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/19/19 08:11 PM

micro lock and lo pro for foxes

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/19/19 10:52 PM

DS80, it could be that he's using the wrong size lock but they usually lock down even on 5/64 pretty well. The troubles I think are more likely than a bad lock is a non-loaded snare with too big of a loop so they are getting the snare low on the neck and then lack of sufficient entanglement to wrap them up tight and dispatch them.

Originally Posted by mawdy man

Those are ok if you don't have a deer stop or want live caught foxes.

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/19/19 11:00 PM

I love entaglement.
I don't want live caught anything.

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/20/19 01:07 AM

Entanglement is not needed if you use a good lock along WITH a kill/dispatch spring and the proper anchor/tie off.

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/22/19 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
DS80, it could be that he's using the wrong size lock but they usually lock down even on 5/64 pretty well. The troubles I think are more likely than a bad lock is a non-loaded snare with too big of a loop so they are getting the snare low on the neck and then lack of sufficient entanglement to wrap them up tight and dispatch them.

Those are ok if you don't have a deer stop or want live caught foxes.

i have and want neither haha,,thou both locks are sold as relaxing locks........brilliant for me as we cant use locking locks
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/22/19 07:43 PM

Almost never had a dead, full-winter caught coyote in slim-locks. Heavy northern neck hair + slim lock +/- entanglement= live coyote for me in 1x19 or 7x7 5/64
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/22/19 08:00 PM

Slim loc's are my go to for my area. We get a lot of wet snow and freezing rain that puts most loc's out of commission. The slim loc cuts through the hore frost and ice build up on the snare pretty easy and I have yet to have a critter back out of a snare with them. Can not say the same with cam or micro loc's.

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/22/19 09:34 PM

In my experience the slim lock will not always lock up tight. The problem I have occasionally experienced is that the short protrusion on it catches up in the thick coyote neck fur and does not lock up on the cable as it's designed to do. Whereas with micro locks with a 50# compression spring I get quick dispatches even without entanglement.
Posted By: H380

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/24/19 03:44 AM

Had too many live catches with the death blows , switched to Bridgers and have less than half now . A bigger lock for sure but closes quick and holds tight on 1/16 1x19 cable . Any lock that catches down deep on heavy furred coyotes is gonna have trouble dispatching them .

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/24/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by H380
Had too many live catches with the death blows , switched to Bridgers and have less than half now .
Both are good locks but any lock used for coyote should be used in conjunction with a kill or dispatch compression spring. It's my experience when such is used and set up and tied off properly the dispatch will be very quick with very few, if any, live catches or water heads, but shyte does occasionally happen.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/24/19 05:48 PM

The lock does not dispatch,lock just prevents the loop from opening.Constant force on the wire(gravity,or spring) against a lock that wont slip dispatches.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/24/19 10:01 PM

This works best for me

[Linked Image]
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/25/19 01:50 AM

I gave up on camlocs also. Rain and freeze cost me a couple coyotes again this year. I also like the slim lock.
Posted By: Duckstick80

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/25/19 04:02 AM

Had too many live catches with the death blows , switched to Bridgers and have less than half now . A bigger lock for sure but closes quick and holds tight on 1/16 1x19 cable . Any lock that catches down deep on heavy furred coyotes is gonna have trouble dispatching them .

Do you use springs with them? I run 1x19 5/64 with a compression spring. I have 6-8' of extension and about 5' snare. It's rare for me to have any alive on a check. I even hip caught a big male last year and he wasn't alive the next morning. They get so tight I have a hard time cutting the snare at the end of the spring when it's compressed.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/25/19 04:47 AM

I have tried a lot of different locks over the years. I have not tried the slim lock. I have gone to the mini death blow cam lock. I snare open country with very little entanglement. I make my snares long (13 feet) of 1/16 1x19 cable with a seneker type kill spring. I do not use the trigger.
This year I had 3 live coyotes out of 49. It happens when the cable tangles short and they can't hit the end of the snare hard and set the spring. No water heads and no chew outs this year. Most of them are just DRT with no entanglement.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/25/19 05:22 AM

I like the slims because they disappear on a set.

For you senneker spring set users, I tried some of the magnums this on a 13ft snare with a 6ft extension. 1/16 1x19, 3 coyotes caught using that snare. All 3 alive. Not by a lot but alive. And really seemed to make the loop sett weird bc of the weight of the spring. Compression springs however....I don't think Ihave ever caught anything alive with it combined with entanglement and cams.
Here we don't get a lot of snow or freezing rain. But the mini death blows even without a dispatch spring, ball game. No live catches. Engagement and they are done. Thinking next year it will be deathblow minis and compression spring for a try.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/25/19 05:45 AM

I was hesitant to try the seneker style springs because it seem like a lot of stuff hanging out there. I can't see a difference in refusals. I really don't see the need for the magnum springs. Most of my coyotes only manage to compress the standard springs half way and they are dead. I try to lay out my excess cable so it will free spool when the coyote takes off. I want them to hit the end hard. My live ones this year fouled the cable and shortened their run. Probably my fault for not laying it out properly.

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/26/19 04:09 AM

Good info MT

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/27/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Duckstick80

Do you use springs with them? I run 1x19 5/64 with a compression spring. I have 6-8' of extension and about 5' snare. It's rare for me to have any alive on a check. I even hip caught a big male last year and he wasn't alive the next morning. They get so tight I have a hard time cutting the snare at the end of the spring when it's compressed.

Yes , I run practically the same setup as you but use 1/16" cable and M artys springs , some magnums some regs. . Ive gone to 5/64 locks on the small cable and had much less trouble this year . All my caught dogs have to be cut out . I know the big locks dont plug like the small ones . I had deathblows that gripped tight but plugged and wouldnt slide down far enough to cinch up tight .

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/27/19 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kirby01
I like the slims because they disappear on a set.

For you senneker spring set users, I tried some of the magnums this on a 13ft snare with a 6ft extension. 1/16 1x19, 3 coyotes caught using that snare. All 3 alive. Not by a lot but alive. And really seemed to make the loop sett weird bc of the weight of the spring. Compression springs however....I don't think Ihave ever caught anything alive with it combined with entanglement and cams.
Here we don't get a lot of snow or freezing rain. But the mini death blows even without a dispatch spring, ball game. No live catches. Engagement and they are done. Thinking next year it will be deathblow minis and compression spring for a try.

I believe a person can get a setup that is too long ..a shorter length , 10- 12 ft makes them panic and fight snare harder in my experience. Key is whatever works for you keep doing it .. not a fail proof system out there that works 100% of the time for anyone .

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/28/19 01:17 PM

whats every ones thoughts on adding a slight bent to a micro lock? to make it bite slightly more, I recently done a few in a vice with a tap from a hammer for slider cables

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/28/19 03:23 PM

whats every ones thoughts on adding a slight bent to a micro lock? to make it bite slightly more, I recently done a few in a vice with a tap from a hammer for slider cables

My opinion,,, waste of time on a snare. Those type locks require a bur on the hole to bite into the cable and make them lock solid, after one or MAYBE 2 uses that bur is gone and you have a lock that will never again lock down and stay there tightly. Just use them once and throw them away or use them knowing you'll likely not quickly dispatch anything with them short of in great entanglement. They are marketed as relaxing locks for this reason IMO. On a drowner cable on the other hand the extra bend makes them very similar to the "L locks that are common to drowners and certainly couldn't hurt a thing. It won't matter if there's a little play at the end of the drowner.

Re: Snare lock preference - 02/28/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Those type locks (micro) require a bur on the hole to bite into the cable and make them lock solid, after one or MAYBE 2 uses that bur is gone and you have a lock that will never again lock down and stay there tightly. Just use them once and throw them away or use them knowing you'll likely not quickly dispatch anything with them short of in great entanglement. They are marketed as relaxing locks for this reason IMO.
Just to clarify the issue concerning micro locks. In my experience micro locks are a great lock for quick and efficient dispatches under the timbered conditions I have trapped in when the snare is constructed and set up properly.

My preferred and most efficient coyote/wolf snare:
--6 ft of 1X19 5/64 cable with end swivel for attaching +/- 6 ft extension to it.
--using a 3/32 micro lock on 5/64 loaded cable.
--50 lb compression spring
[Linked Image]

The reason for using a 3/32 micro lock on 5/64 cable is the tighter the bite (angle) the tighter the pinch. Another thing to maybe consider is that a slightly larger lock size than cable size will close faster due to less friction than with a matched cable to lock size.

In wooded areas tie off high and SOLID in most situations to a tree or something that does not bend. A solid tie allows for solid locking and tying high keeps the snare and lock high up on the back of the neck by forming an angle of about 45 degree from the animal to the snare tie/anchor point. This will make the snare set up on the neck just behind the ears where the carotid arteries are most exposed, which is the desired kill zone for a snare. Also, if the coyote pulls backwards the snare will be over top of its head and it won’t be able to chew and the snare will pull up to the base of the skull. If unable to tie high and solid, use SHORTER snare, SMALLER loop and tie off low and SOLID still providing about a 45 degree cable catch angle.

With this snare set up and method of setting I get quick dispatches with little site disturbance and little,if any, head edema. I have also occasionally had coyotes DOA at the end of the snare without entanglement.

Re: Snare lock preference - 03/02/19 05:23 PM

Good info tomcat
Posted By: remrogers

Re: Snare lock preference - 03/11/19 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by beartooth trapr
Gregerson

Agreed!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums