Home

Best predator bait (not brands but...)

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 05:37 AM

In your opinion, I am referring to actual meats such as horse meat, beaver meat, deer meat, liver, etc.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 05:51 AM

Chicken,beaver,bobcat,deer,horse in that order
Posted By: red mt

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 05:52 AM

There is a bunch that work.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 09:36 AM

mice first . groundhod second
Posted By: glf

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 12:58 PM

Fresh deer liver, salmon
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 01:03 PM

Porcupine when I can get it.
Slightly tainted deer liver
Groundhog
Posted By: 080808

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 01:31 PM

Here is what this thread has told us so far. Anything will work if your on location.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
Here is what this thread has told us so far. Anything will work if your on location.

This.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 080808

That is what I'm seeing also.
A side by side comparison? (Chicken at one set, beaver at another set ten feet away) probably depends on the mood of the predator?
Posted By: glf

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 05:11 PM

Beaver works good for bobcat around here, but many canines will pass it by around here. Unless you really like to catch grinners around here, don't use tainted bait...That is why I like fresh bait. You still do catch grinners just less. Location is the key. Good sets on location will work even without lure or bait.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 05:30 PM

pork liver is still my top producer except this year.This year cat meat shined. Which usually is my least worked. As stated most any thing that has a bloody smell works to some degree. Location and target presence is the key. Nothing will detour a grinner they hunt so slow they miss absolutely nothing and eat practically any thing.. I've caught yotes using the dispatched grinner as backing. I recommend covering them so you don't pinch a eagle or redtail
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 06:10 PM

I believe horse meat would be an all round choice. With some type of cat meat coming In second
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 06:30 PM

It would be interesting if you had them all side my side which would get eaten first. My bet would be horse.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 06:32 PM

Beaver, moose and deer.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 06:45 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 07:54 PM

[Linked Image]180 - 200# horse meat. 2 hours. Got $100 to haul off.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 07:59 PM

hey Bocco was that Louisiana Pacific smart siding falling apart behind your beavers

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/23/19 09:58 PM

I don't know what that siding is,vermontster.It was scrap picked up to side the woodshed at the trapcamp.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 03:09 AM

Deer liver followed by deer liver followed by... deer liver. These big woods coyotes around here just seem to crave it. Beaver? The worst bait I ever used. Beaver carcass's just sit out there untouched.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 04:02 AM

In my neck of the woods, everything likes beaver. I’ve been hauling beaver carcasses into my woods at the house....a 40 lb beaver is reduced to bones in 2-3 nights. Coyotes, reds, coon and fisher are hitting the pile nightly. Also some hawks, owls and even a bald eagle a couple of days.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 06:07 PM

Boco do you put those beaver out with the tails on ? I’ve put carcasses out but never with the tails . Do the critters clean up the tails too ?

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by joepennanti
Originally Posted by Yes sir
180 - 200# horse meat. 2 hours. Got $100 to haul off.

Sweet Deal! Was it unfit for human consumption? Why are you being paid to take it?

It had been dead a little too long for me to eat. It died at the vets so they had to have it disposed of so they paid $100 to haul it off. Rendering company wont take horses anymore because of pressure from animal activists and it costs 400 to have it cremated.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 08:08 PM

Did you ask if it had been given any medicines?

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 08:14 PM

I nailed a beaver carcass to a tree,in front of one of my best trail camera locations,this Fall.This spot is a crossing used by mountain lions,bobcats,red foxes and coyotes.They came and went and not one bite was taken from it.It just dried up and turned to jerky.Truth.Not every region is the same.

In one of Slim Pederson's older predator books,he said that his coyotes did not favor beaver meat.It seems like it works great for others.Don't ask me to explain.I have no clue but I think you need to try different baits and see what works for you and it helps to rotate things around if you are trapping canines.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan

Did you ask if it had been given any medicines?

Yes. And to double check I put some fresh ground down some test holes with favorable results.

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 09:02 PM

Sounds good.That's a lot of great bait.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 10:00 PM

Taxi I had the same results with beaver. Three weeks they just walked right by. Wouldn’t even look at it. For whatever reason one night one finally nipped into it. Five coyotes ate that 40-50 lb beaver in one night. Came back at least four nights and marked up the tree it was in. Was bizarre.

I’ve ran straight fresh beaver meat for cats, and canned sardines out produced them. Can’t figure it out. Drop a little beaver tail oil in a bait and they’ll dig to China.

Horse meat also just does not produce here even with the Nelson formula. You switch over to cat meat and it’s on. I ran straight ground mice last season early and caught every fur bearer we have to catch.

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/24/19 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Taxi I had the same results with beaver. Three weeks they just walked right by. Wouldn’t even look at it. For whatever reason one night one finally nipped into it. Five coyotes ate that 40-50 lb beaver in one night. Came back at least four nights and marked up the tree it was in. Was bizarre.

I’ve ran straight fresh beaver meat for cats, and canned sardines out produced them. Can’t figure it out. Drop a little beaver tail oil in a bait and they’ll dig to China.

Horse meat also just does not produce here even with the Nelson formula. You switch over to cat meat and it’s on. I ran straight ground mice last season early and caught every fur bearer we have to catch.

That's very interesting,Wade.Thank you.
Posted By: brianroberts

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/25/19 07:15 PM

Ive used all kinds of meat making baits and horse was hands down the best, try it with pauls bait solution or Bob Jamesons, you won't be sorry, Beaver and rat break down to quickly, but are good used when still fairly new....B....

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/25/19 11:39 PM

all the furbearers,including cats cant resist beaver meat jackpot here.A lot of different baits will work here but once the real cold weather kicks in beaver will outproduce all else by far. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mic NC

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/26/19 12:59 AM

Feed live yotes for a long time and they will basically eat bobcat meat out of your hand!
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/26/19 01:26 AM

We have a lot of hogs here in arkansas(go figure lol) anyway hope to try that next season.
Posted By: coalbank

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/26/19 01:28 PM

Ole Roy Bark'n Bac'n. There now you all know. Hands down best bait of the past season. No Kidd.

If it is put in a blender and crumbled up it goes further and can be used as a trailing scent.

Second to this is beef blood. Trail it across travel way to set/sets. All predators will stop to investigate.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/28/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by joepennanti
180 - 200# horse meat. 2 hours. Got $100 to haul off.

Sweet Deal! Was it unfit for human consumption? Why are you being paid to take it?

Ummm....aren't they all unfit for human consumption?!?!?!

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/28/19 10:52 PM

I'd try it if it was fresh and from a healthy horse. It actually looked like tender fine textures meat. I know people who have butchered horse for their own use.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/28/19 10:59 PM

Well, there are SOOOO many baits out there with horse, rabbit, deer, beaver, muskrat, bobcat, even fox meat that work, so it is hard to say. Horse meat seems to work pretty good around here. Last season we picked up a large fraction of our bobcats on bobcat meat.
Posted By: TrapperT25

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 02/28/19 11:44 PM

On the ground hog note..... what additives do you normally put in it? Straight meat and tant it a little or do you recommend putting something else in it.
I shoot at least 100 ghogs around here every year for cattle farmers and that would be a great option if I could find a recipe that worked
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 03/19/19 08:49 PM

Ace Hardware sells horse meat? Never knew

Re: Best predator bait (not brands but...) - 03/20/19 01:23 AM

Between the pet food and the glue. Lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums