Home

Mink bait

Posted By: TrapprChris

Mink bait - 02/26/19 10:12 PM

Going to be setting some floating mink boxes. Was thinking of using half a mink carcass for bait. Anyone ever use?
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Mink bait - 02/26/19 10:21 PM

I would say better off using muskrat...
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Mink bait - 02/27/19 01:51 AM

Or snake.
I've caught a few in pockets with carmans pro's choice lure
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Mink bait - 02/27/19 02:11 AM

Mink do not eat mink. They will in territory respond to gland scents. Mink prefer fresh and as noted above muskrat is better.

Eye appeal is what mink respond to, namely holes or piles of trash that they will think a living prey animal will be in.

In my area we pick up mink in dryland predator sets on canine lures. I have caught them on Grawe's Grey Ghost, but there was eye appeal which was the feature first. Make your floaters look like rat feed piles and I believe you will do better as the only reason mink respond to dead bait is to steal it.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Mink bait - 02/27/19 02:31 AM

muskrat carcass works good
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Mink bait - 02/27/19 04:11 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ or just the hind quarters.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Mink bait - 02/27/19 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by star flakes
Mink eat mink. They will in territory respond to gland scents. Mink prefer fresh and as noted above muskrat is second favourite choice.

Eye appeal is what mink respond to, namely holes or piles of trash that they will think a living prey animal will be in.

In my area we pick up mink in dryland predator sets on canine lures. I have caught them on Grawe's Grey Ghost, but there was eye appeal which was the feature first. Make your floaters look like rat feed piles and I believe you will do better as the only reason mink respond to dead bait is to steal it.

Auto correct was needed.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Mink bait - 02/27/19 05:32 PM

I’m confused. Between Northof50 and Star Flakes there seems to be inconsistencies. Actually, about 10 years ago, there were Trappers who put up considerable numbers, who said mink ate mink.

At this point all I can say about mink musk is that I’ve caught coyotes on it far more often than I’ve taken mink.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Mink bait - 02/27/19 08:03 PM

They eat mink but in my area fish is number the one bait
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Mink bait - 02/27/19 08:15 PM

Teacher read the post carefully between the two. Auto correct

Mink are cannibals if they come across another dead mink, the first thing they do is eat out at the liver sideways
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: Mink bait - 02/28/19 02:52 AM

The best mink bait I have found is muskrat meat. My second choice would be FRESH fish. Never have tried using mink to bait mink. But may have to give it a try next season
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Mink bait - 02/28/19 06:39 PM

I snared a mink last week and another mink ate the testicles off the mink I had snared so they sure do eat one another.
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Mink bait - 03/01/19 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by PineDoggin
I snared a mink last week and another mink ate the testicles off the mink I had snared so they sure do eat one another.

how do you know it was another mink?
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Mink bait - 03/01/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BillyTraps
Originally Posted by PineDoggin

how do you know it was another mink?

Well unless muskrats have teeth like a mink, it was a mink
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Mink bait - 03/03/19 07:27 PM

Fish is the number 1 bait used by the big hitters in the mink catching business, everything else is just a change up.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Mink bait - 03/03/19 09:03 PM

I use fish and muskrat when I have it but have had success with half of a cottontail.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Mink bait - 03/06/19 11:29 AM

I never saw any evidence that a mink feasted on another mink, but I will say in my experience a female mink carcass is very effective in drawing a male mink to check out a pocket set.
Posted By: WBG

Re: Mink bait - 03/06/19 12:13 PM

On several occasions I have walked up to a location thinking I had a live mink in the set only to realize it was an un-caught mink feeding on a trapped mink.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Mink bait - 03/06/19 02:45 PM

I have never seen where a mink fed on a captured mink but I have seen instances where they killed them.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Mink bait - 04/11/19 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by star flakes
Mink do not eat mink. They will in territory respond to gland scents.

They may not eat it, but I have caught a good many mink, using a mink carcass as a bait !

Fresh oily fish is hard to beat. Muskrat and beaver have worked well too.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Mink bait - 04/12/19 05:12 PM

I've had a lot of female mink eaten by other mink, mostly during the rut. I just leave um in the trap and set another..
Posted By: Boco

Re: Mink bait - 04/12/19 06:34 PM

Duck and goose scraps work well in late fall for mink bait.
Grouse scraps work ok before the hard freeze.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Mink bait - 04/12/19 11:51 PM

I could probably come up with a Dodo bird around here before a grouse. Havent seen one in 20 years and I spend a good amount of time in the woods during the fall.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Mink bait - 04/12/19 11:53 PM

polluted with grouse here,you can kill them with a stick.
Posted By: Ken Mclellan

Re: Mink bait - 04/17/19 11:49 PM

I think you could probably catch mink using pork chops for bait, but fish and rat carcass’s are cheaper and easier to come by.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums