Home

How long do you leave sets?

Posted By: Wanna Be

How long do you leave sets? - 03/17/19 05:56 PM

Let’s say you’ve caught a few coyotes in a couple sets, how long do you leave them with no more sign? They were hot spots for a week or so, now nothing. My gut tells me what the heck, just leave them.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/17/19 06:04 PM

Do you have extra traps? If so leave it. IF i am catching in a spot i leave the trap in place till the job is over. Have set on day 1 catch on day 2 and not caught again till day 15 when i pulled up my traps on 15 day contract. I ALWAYS carry more traps to a job than I will need
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/17/19 06:10 PM

Tough question, I have caught coyotes three full weeks after a trap was set. I personally don’t usually leave em that long. Some of it depends on how hard they are to check. Easy access set normally stay longer than those that are 20 miles from home. I would think 10 days to two weeks. JMO
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/17/19 06:15 PM

There is a reason the first two coyotes came by there. So let the traps keep working if you have enough traps
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/17/19 06:20 PM

Depends on how many traps you have time to run, how many traps you have, how many area you have to trap and what the animal population is.

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/17/19 06:20 PM

These sets are all checked by truck about 10-15 minutes from the house. Get “paid” but would actually do it here for free. No time limit on how long I have to be here. Manager just wants traps set and critters gone.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/18/19 12:51 AM

Leave em be. It may take a few weeks before a set may catch. You need to have traps set anywhere you have seen sign. They will be back through. Especially true if you are trying to catch as many as possible from a place. When i set a place, however many sets i make, i always have a few hotspots that repeatedly get action. but the random sets i make catch a few stragglers eventually and some never catch anything.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/18/19 01:17 AM

Until you make a catch or the season closes.

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/18/19 01:25 AM

Thanks gentlemen. If I can keep deer from tripping them I might catch some more, lol. Deer have to give cats a run for their money when it comes to curiosity.
I plan to add another line as soon as we get some more areas burned. I’ve caught something at every set except 2 and those are the two I really thought would have produced something besides deer. Sign is hard to come by down here except the one road I already have set.
Trapping has really taught me patience...or trying to teach me. My traps set for almost 10 days then bam a catch or two a day for a week. Now I’m back to the waiting. But while waiting you start wondering did I catch them all? Do I need to move them?
Like stated, it’s not far, getting paid anyways, and sleep is overrated, lol! I’ll leave them and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/18/19 04:30 PM

In time you will learn that sets produce more coyotes after night 5 or 6 than the first few nights they are set. Usually, nights 7 thru 10 are the best coyote catching nights.

There are always exceptions and coyotes are caught on night 1 or night 2 also. But in the long term, if you keep trapping over the years, this pattern will emerge...
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How long do you leave sets? - 03/18/19 08:27 PM

Not only leave them be but make sure they are working and ready for them when they do show up. Can't tell you how frustrating it is to have them work the set after waiting so long for them to do so only to find out the trap was frozen down or disabled in one way or another. But then that's all part of the learning curve.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums