Home

Wolf Fangs.

Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Wolf Fangs. - 04/05/19 08:57 PM

What are y'alls experiences with Wolf Fang earth anchors? I got some from Kaatz Bros. Lures www.kaatzbroslures.com on a trade for skunk essence recently and I'd like to have your thoughts on them.
AuthorTrapper.
Posted By: Forest

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/05/19 09:07 PM

9/10
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/05/19 09:45 PM

They hold well but I have trouble with the drivers getting damaged. Then the anchor gets stuck in tip of the driver and pulls out with the driver. Could be the type of soil I’m trapping in.
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/05/19 10:27 PM

Take a file to the notch and clean it out if it gets boogered up.

FWIW, I got a driver from Josh at Fur Shed Fabrication, and I never had a single anchor get stuck on it last season.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/05/19 10:41 PM

The problem Is that the slot In your diver Is to tight. I So when your driving the fang It's getting deformed and spreading out. Then It hangs up In the driver. That was happing to me then I had my buddy laser cut the slots In the driver wider and the problem stopped. I used one driver last year and I must have driven a 100 fangs and never had one hang up.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/06/19 01:22 AM

I like them but used to hate pulling them. Got an FB puller didn't have the streng to pull them. Used a 7' piece of 1 1/8" pipe as a cheater bent the puller. Took it to the mad scientist shed cut off the handle at the braces. Cur the braces loose slid the 1 1/8" pipe on welded everything better than before, Welded a 1/4" piece of steel in the over sized slot at the end cut a 1/4" slot deeper than before re beveled and now I can pull them from way deep. The last ones I pulled were wearing little pointy straw hats and speaking Chinese. Just sayin.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/06/19 01:53 AM

they hold real well. The only way I get them out is in the spring with a shovel. You got to dig almost right up to them to pull them by hand. I agree though the driver could be better.
Posted By: Stillwater65

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/06/19 04:50 AM

I saw a video some where, on how to retrieve Wolf Fang anchors. A guy had a cordless drill with a 2 inch auger bit about two feet long, chucked in his drill. He put it next to the cable, run it down to what ever length he was using, and just pulled the Wolf Fang out with no effort. It was fast, easy, and did not destroy the anchor. I know they sell a manual version of a brace with auger bit welded to it, but now a days everybody seems to have a cordless drill with extra batteries, so I am for the less strenuous way. I know there will be some sort of situations where this might not work, but it should work most of the time.
Posted By: Highoctane

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/10/19 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
they hold real well. The only way I get them out is in the spring with a shovel. You got to dig almost right up to them to pull them by hand. I agree though the driver could be better.

This..^^^^^^ I started using Wolf Fangs last year and they hold really well. I to have to dig them up if I want them back. Most times I leave them and mark the spot and when I wanna set the area again I can get in and out fairly quickly...
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/10/19 01:23 PM

Excellent anchors in my opinion.

I bought a stainless steel driver and driving them is a piece of cake
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/10/19 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
Excellent anchors in my opinion.

I bought a stainless steel driver and driving them is a piece of cake

Thank you, Aix sponsa!
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/10/19 09:53 PM

Their drivers suck. I busted two the first day.

Got one from Tom Stalker and it finally broke after five years of absolute abuse and a LOT of smacks with a 4 lb hammer.

Great anchors. Crappy driver.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/10/19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
Their drivers suck. I busted two the first day.

Got one from Tom Stalker and it finally broke after five years of absolute abuse and a LOT of smacks with a 4 lb hammer.

Great anchors. Crappy driver.

Lee Steinmeyer made me a 36” Stainless one and that baby is super. I use it for punching holes, prying up stakes, and of course driving fangs.

4 lb hammer for me too if I’m on land. In the right mud, I just lean on my driver. Ahhhh....that’s the beaver trapping I like
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/11/19 03:40 AM

Who's Wolf Fangs ????
Seems like there's a number of companies making them all of a sudden !
I use the one's from Wolf Creek Products in Ohio.
I have a CUSTOM MADE stainless steel driver that cost me $60 and and a Bulldog stake puller to remove them.
I've been very happy with the results !
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/11/19 11:29 AM

I made a 2 legged t-p out of aluminum box. I hook a 1/4 ton chainfall to that and use that to pull anchors. I had to make an adapter to hook on anchor and chain falls
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/11/19 01:39 PM

Just get one of those old timey bumper jacks works like a charm.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/11/19 01:53 PM

My problem was with the driver and them folding when they hit something hard. I switched to super stakes and they work better for me.
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Wolf Fangs. - 04/12/19 02:22 PM

If you are near vehicle predrill a hole with a cordless. Even a 1/2 hole makes driving easy in stony ground
© 2024 Trapperman Forums