Home

3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat

Posted By: brymoore

3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/05/19 10:02 PM

With Sleepy Creek shutting its doors, I’m buying either size 3 or 4 long springs. I’m planning on installing expand a pans which only come in size 3 but will fit in size 4.

My original plan was to buy all 4s. I’m starting to wonder if trap size matters if I’m using the same size expand a pan.

What are your thoughts? Buy all 4s, 3s or mixed.

*Note - I already bought some used 3s but want more traps.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/06/19 02:34 AM

Well,if it were me I'd buy all 3's
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/06/19 02:35 AM

We have a bunch of #3s and decided to try some #4s so we could put on even bigger pans. Glad we only got a few because we weren’t huge fans. The added length of the base plate caused them to bend when setting over your knee. Didn’t see any real advantage over the #3s. The added jaw spread didn’t make much difference. The #3 is more then enough trap for a bobcat.

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/06/19 02:36 AM

And if you are using the same size pan then there is definitely no advantage especially if you are using exposed traps.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/06/19 02:40 AM

Take a look at the bridger #4 longspring. Excellent trap!
Third one down

Attached picture image.png
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/06/19 03:19 AM

3's will get you a pad catch. 4's will be above the pad. There is a lot less foot damage with the 3's. I don't do the expanded pan thing so I cant speak to a comparison with them.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/08/19 09:58 PM

Brymoore - mixed bag is fine. With respect to what others have said above, either is a fine trap for cats. I run both (Victors) with the 3" PIT pans and a shingle glued on and they both work great. It's all about blocking though and getting the cat to step where you want it to.

I have a handful of #3SC's and don't care for them, (too much trap for my preference and the frame steel is soft). The #3 SC and the #4 Vic are comparable in size. I'd look at the Bridger if going new and baseplate them, otherwise good stout users are pretty easy to come by with #3's being more common.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/09/19 01:27 PM

Not to change the subjecy. But a question. Why can't you use a #2 LS?

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 04/11/19 03:45 AM

I’ve always wondered the same thing. Then I realized that there isn’t many. Some people have told me they are too weak but I’ve never actually tried one. I might have to get a could to test out. But one season as a joke my buddy and I added #3 chain to a baseplated #11 as a joke and caught a bobcat. It wasn’t a big cat, but it held.
Posted By: Dustin_Drews

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 05/22/19 03:10 AM

Bridger #4 longspring offsets get my vote. I owned 10 dozen #3 sleepy creeks at one time.
God Bless
Dustin
Posted By: red mt

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 05/22/19 04:36 AM

Either one will work just fine.
If you deal with a lot of snow in open type sets jaw spread helps some.
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 05/22/19 03:37 PM

I don't trap Bobcats but I trap Lynx.
I own both Sleepy Creek and Bridgers.
I'd get the Bridgers .
Posted By: scotiantrapper

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 05/23/19 12:22 AM

I’m going against the group and I’d pick the sleepy creeks. I bought a dozen and a half bridger 4’s on sale from a supplier, and let me tell you they were junk. The amount of work I had to put in to get them in working order was absurd and royally (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) me off consider all I run for footholds are Bridgers. The jaws were so rough the springs wouldn’t actually go up when the trap was fired. So I’d watch out on the bridgers
Posted By: brymoore

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 05/25/19 07:20 PM

I bought three dozen SC3LS a month ago.
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 05/25/19 10:35 PM

I hope they work for you.
I bought mine about ten years ago.
After I used them for a few years I noticed the pan posts were bending, as in spreading apart.
I didn't loose any jaws but came close.
The no. 4's were worse than the no. 3's for this.
They may have remedied the flaw since then.
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: 3ls vs 4ls for Bobcat - 05/26/19 04:29 PM

Put me in the Bridger#4 camp. I have caught a few cats and coyotes in them and more than a few otter in them.

When I bought them I night latched the pans, leveled the pans, added a mid chain swivel, and then dyed and waxed them. They have performed flawlessly in the several years of use I have put on them and besides
re-treating them as needed I havehad to do very little adjustments and no repairs.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums