Home

No bs coyote specials

Posted By: Sleepyhollow

No bs coyote specials - 05/20/19 10:30 PM

I'm fixing to buy a couple dozen new traps. I'm looking at the no bs coyote special anyone have any experience with them ? Pro and cons ?
Posted By: beezmador

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/20/19 11:04 PM

Here's a few links that discuss your question in depth...

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6485763/Searchpage/1/Main/485065/Words/%2Bk9+%2Bextreme/Search/true/re-ko-k9-extreme-jr#Post6485763

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6440031/Searchpage/3/Main/482428/Words/%2Bk9+%2Bextreme/Search/true/re-k9-x-treme-jr#Post6440031

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6289957/Searchpage/7/Main/472836/Words/%2Bk9+%2Bextreme/Search/true/re-montana-3-dogless-modified-vs-k9-extreme#Post6289957
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/20/19 11:05 PM

I dont own any , but i looked them over good at a convention and i will say they are build very heavy duty.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/21/19 12:27 AM

I just purchased 6 extreme jrs with four coils to try them out. The pan pressure is over 5 lbs. I put bow wax on the connection points for the pans and it brought the pan pressure down to 4 lbs. I applied the wax on thick. I took off two of the coils and the pan pressure dropped another pound or little more. Also, when I set the traps off with the Sullivan pan tester, the traps seemed to lock up and I had a heck of a time opening them up especially with the four coils on them. I am just wondering if I catch a non-target if this will be a problem for me. It should also be noted I have arthritic hands in which I lost a lot of strength in my hands. So, it may not be a problem for others. However, if I set the traps off with a larger item like a bigger stick, I had no problem opening them up. The jrs, for me, is all the trap I need for coyotes. Very well built.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/21/19 02:57 AM

My step brother ran the wax on his no bs extremes with no issues. I filed mine at an angle to bring the poundage down to 2.5 to 3# on my Jrs.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/21/19 03:40 PM

When you say, "No-Bs coyote specials", do you mean the Extremes?
I have both the Extremes and the Jr's. I have only caught a few coons in the Jr's (my luck, not the traps fault). I have caught quite a few coyotes in the Extremes though. If you are after coyotes and only coyotes, the Extremes are the way to go. I may set just for coyotes, but am happy to take the fox or coon that steps on the pan first. For me, the Jr is the best choice. I have found that the Extremes are too much for fox and coon (I run offset, os lam, 4 coil.). I also had a problem with pan tension. For me, the wax did lower pan tension a little, but not really enough. Plus, it is a pain to use in the cold. On the Jr's, I removed the extra springs and they are about perfect for me. The Extremes, I left 4 coiled for coyotes only.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/22/19 04:13 PM

The xetremes will hold whatever makes them go off which can be a good thing but a bad thing about them is that they will hold whatever makes them go off including cattle,elk, deer, pigs, and you. I use them. They are strong and lock up well but tough to set after they have locked up on a foot. A coyote will be there till you let it out.
I used the right out of the box from Kendall.
Posted By: Red89

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/24/19 01:14 AM

They're an excellent trap if you like heavy duty. I think the reason they are hard to set is because of the coating. I tap my trap levers with my hammer to break them loose and it seems to help. I got the laminated 4 coil offset jaws and I have to say, unless you run the risk of catching wolves in your coyote sets, the 4 coil is TOTAL overkill for any coyote in the country. If I did it over again, i would definitely go with the 2 coil.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/24/19 04:24 AM

The KO Extremes are fantastic coyote traps. I've used two dozen for two seasons and have nothing but praise as far as catching coyotes goes. However, they are big enough to go over a deer hoof so if you have deer around set accordingly. I nearly went hand to hand with a PO'd mule deer doe after I released it. They're also very heavy so if you carry your coyote traps very far keep that in mind. I caught a bobcat in one too and it was perfect. I scrape any wax off the dog/trigger area and run them just like that. I like that heavy pan tension for coyotes. If I buy more I'll get the Juniors. I think they're plenty for coyotes and maybe small enough to let deer pull out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Even held this one by one toe. How that happened I don't know but it's the only toe catch I've had in a K9 Extreme.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: LDW

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/24/19 05:43 AM

I agree with 10bands, I think I would go with the Jrs. next time. I'm running 3 dozen Extremes, offset and 4 coiled. I haven't had 1 problem with the Extremes, just a lot of trap. One thing I've noticed is coyotes don't fight the trap. The weight seems to wear them out. Just a really well built trap.
Posted By: MadTrapper375

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/26/19 06:22 PM

[Linked Image] They work for fisher too.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/26/19 08:21 PM

I guess western trappers can justify the price because their furs bring better money.

But around here you’ll be trapping for 3 years just to payoff the investment.

But then again, only a trapper spends hundreds of dollars to chase a 5 dollar coon. whistle
Posted By: 080808

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/26/19 08:26 PM

Right on! Again I don’t want to change the direction of the thread but a lot of people spend a lot on golf clubs but can’t break 100. lol
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/26/19 09:39 PM

Ive used both, Both awesome traps but I prefer the Juniors. Less waxed dirt to bed and less disturbance., less time spent at the site. Your only as good as your tools!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/26/19 09:41 PM

Just curious what everyone switched from to go to these? I run 550’s, but the largest predator we have are coyotes. It seems possums and coons like them more frequently than the coyotes and cats though.

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/26/19 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
I guess western trappers can justify the price because their furs bring better money.

But around here you’ll be trapping for 3 years just to payoff the investment.

But then again, only a trapper spends hundreds of dollars to chase a 5 dollar coon. whistle

They are about the same money as 550's or #3 Bridgers set up the same way.

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/26/19 11:31 PM

Bridgers are a lot cheaper. MB’s about the same. The 32$ shipping is a killer and the fact that Bridgers and MB’s can be had anywhere.

I’m sure they are a great trap.

But how do you justify the cost other then I just want?

Do coyotes really commit hairy canary when they read the name on the pan?
Posted By: 080808

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/26/19 11:48 PM

Maybe if you pay in advance, then meet them at a convention no shipping cost? Just sayin.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/27/19 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Bridgers are a lot cheaper. MB’s about the same. The 32$ shipping is a killer and the fact that Bridgers and MB’s can be had anywhere.

I’m sure they are a great trap.

But how do you justify the cost other then I just want?

Do coyotes really commit hairy canary when they read the name on the pan?

Comparable Bridgers(#3 dogless same mods) are just $5 cheaper unless you have found them on sale somewhere.

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/27/19 01:42 AM

Kendall will bring them to the conventions to save you the shipping.
Posted By: Sleepyhollow

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/27/19 03:53 PM

Guys thanks for your in put. It's not about the cost to me as much as the investment. Keeping my money in the midwest and supporting other trappers. I've ran and own ever coyote trap on market and all have there ups and downs. And the shipping part is steep but the NTA is 40 miles from my house this year so shipping free. Lol
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/27/19 04:10 PM

Here is a pic of a Etreme next to a MB 550. Have seen a Extreme hold a 100 lbs hog. Great trap. Here is a friends. After 1 year of use. Powder coating is ok. But coming off

Attached picture 176B8BB7-D5BE-42A5-A08C-E16BEA971358.jpeg

Re: No bs coyote specials - 05/27/19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepyhollow
Guys thanks for your in put. It's not about the cost to me as much as the investment. Keeping my money in the midwest and supporting other trappers. I've ran and own ever coyote trap on market and all have there ups and downs. And the shipping part is steep but the NTA is 40 miles from my house this year so shipping free. Lol

Free shipping is always good. grin
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: No bs coyote specials - 08/19/20 09:58 PM

Ttt
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: No bs coyote specials - 08/21/20 02:12 PM

I am slowly switching all my coyote traps over to Extreme Jrs. Was running the 550s, and I will keep the ones I have to use in places where they might get stolen, but I really like a dogless trap. Mine are 2 coiled. Have caught coyotes, reds, grays, bobcats, coons, possum and skunks in them. Usually get the skunks and possums by multiple feet and they don't even move the trap much. With a steel screen pan cover it is about the perfect trap for how I do things.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: No bs coyote specials - 08/21/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by trappergbus
Ive used both, Both awesome traps but I prefer the Juniors. Less waxed dirt to bed and less disturbance., less time spent at the site. Your only as good as your tools!

Tools only good as the user ! The trapper !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums