Home

Vic square jaw for otter?

Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 12:50 AM

Some of them are high lock levers but most of them are low lock. I'd like to get some otter this year. Will these hold if swivled up?
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 05:13 AM

Hardest part of catching an otter by the foot is trap placement. Their random slithery ways makes it hard to know where that sweet spot is. I have caught and held them in unmodified 1 3/4 Victors with the factory offset jaws. I caught one by three toes in a 1 1/2 without offset by three toes. Their toes are held on pretty tight to their feet apparently. Why are you using footholds for otter? Just curious, not judging.

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 11:11 AM

I have a few conis as well but I want to put foot holds beside the conis for the otter that go around and maybe a few pocket sets. I already have the vics so I thought I'd add them to the sets of they will hold.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 12:04 PM

They'll do just fine.I wouldn't worry about.Personally,I don't think a otter is hard to hold in a foothold.When they did restocking from one state to another No.11's were used.I've caught them in 11/2 coils up to 14 jumps.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 01:25 PM

You just have to get that otter walking and It won't be a problem.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 01:57 PM

I cant see why not?

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
You just have to get that otter walking and It won't be a problem.

You mean like putting something down for them to have to step over? Pokey sticks?

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I cant see why not?

They are pretty flimsy trap. The low locking lever ones especially. They are good on mink and rats but I know nothing about otter other than they fight like the dickens lol! That's why I'm asking.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 03:46 PM

imho they would be my last choice,and if I did they would be on drowner wires. #11 are strong holding traps! been a lot of critters meet the demise from tiny little 11s. If I was forced to use that size trap the blake and lambs are better then the vics

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by TONY.F
imho they would be my last choice,and if I did they would be on drowner wires. #11 are strong holding traps! been a lot of critters meet the demise from tiny little 11s. If I was forced to use that size trap the blake and lambs are better then the vics

You must be talking about the old Blake and Lambs,because there's no difference between the two today.Their all made by the same company.

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 05:51 PM

That's what I'm talking about Buck. The old Victor/Blake and Lamb square jaw traps.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 05:53 PM

Make sure the otter cant get ahold of anything to pull on. Springs need to be strong on the trap.

Most would be surprised at the otters caught on dry land in footholds. I've lost count over the years, but I set dry for them as much as I do in water......or back when the otter market was good I did...

Posted By: TNcat

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper
That's what I'm talking about Buck. The old Victor/Blake and Lamb square jaw traps.

Interesting ...I have never seen Blake and Lamb #3 square jaw trap like the #3 Victor square jaw trap. I have 4 doz #3 Victor .. I swapped the low levers over to high levers ..I modified with jc Conner rubber pads ,4 coiled and baseplate because I get the metal free ,,I made a jig to bend .
Caught plenty of coyote..my favorite bobcat trap.

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 08:32 PM

I thought he meant the No.11's

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
I thought he meant the No.11's

I’m assuming he’s talking about the #3 not #2 square jaws Victor . I don’t know if Victor made #2 in high lever square jaws
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 09:55 PM

TnCat,
Did you replace levers with Bridger levers? I have 20 or so you I’m playing around with.

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/06/19 10:56 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about the old #2 square jaw traps. I have a bunch of the blake and lamb's as well as victors. They appear to be the same trap and I do indeed have some high lever ones that are victors. I also have some #3s that are a much stronger trap.

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by kytrapper
TnCat,
Did you replace levers with Bridger levers? I have 20 or so you I’m playing around with.

No ...I used #3 Victor levers

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 03:15 AM

the old square high jaws vic no2 are the ones im referring to they was intended for fox back in the day. Blake and lamb made one that style as well but the frames are heavier I remove a spring and lever to use them as muskrat traps with hagz brackets they pair up perfect in the pic is the blake and lamb im referring too. [Linked Image]

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 11:04 AM

That's the trap I've got Tony. I didn't hold out much hope for the low lever ones but I thought the high lever ones might do the trick...

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 12:28 PM

Here are the three version of the trap I have. Vic low lever with jaws outside the frame, B&L jaws inside and Vic high lever jaws inside. All three have the same frame and thin jaws.

(B&L,Vic outside jaws, Vic high lever)
[Linked Image]

(B&L, Vic high lever, Vic outside jaws)
[Linked Image]

(Vic high lever, B&L,Vic outside jaws)
[Linked Image]

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 01:40 PM

[Linked Image]

JT does that trap have professional on the pan ?

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 03:25 PM

I don't trust those traps on any critters bigger then a rat or mink single or double coiled! They aren't heavy enough to add stronger springs!
Posted By: tjm

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 08:03 PM

Those Vics with the outside jaws and low levers are a 1 3/4 frame and can be converted with 1 3/4 jaws and levers to a usable trap, however not one really worth the cost of parts. They aren't likely to hold an otter as is, they can be used for mink. I've never used the others, but I won't argue with Tony's summation.
If I was looking for otter the #11 would be my choice, I once spent a couple hours talking with a feller that traps a lot of otter in the Ar. delta every year and he convinced me that the #11 was the best otter foot hold trap, specifically the Sleepy Creek #11 was his recommendation.

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by TNcat
JT does that trap have professional on the pan ?

Not that I can see.

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/07/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by tjm
Those Vics with the outside jaws and low levers are a 1 3/4 frame and can be converted with 1 3/4 jaws and levers to a usable trap, however not one really worth the cost of parts. They aren't likely to hold an otter as is, they can be used for mink. I've never used the others, but I won't argue with Tony's summation.
If I was looking for otter the #11 would be my choice, I once spent a couple hours talking with a feller that traps a lot of otter in the Ar. delta every year and he convinced me that the #11 was the best otter foot hold trap, specifically the Sleepy Creek #11 was his recommendation.

I know the #11 holds like a vise but they have such a small jaw spread. If I was a better trapper maybe... Plus they are pretty pricy compared to say a duke 1.75 coil.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Vic square jaw for otter? - 06/10/19 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jonnytrapper
Originally Posted by lumberjack391
I cant see why not?

They are pretty flimsy trap. The low locking lever ones especially. They are good on mink and rats but I know nothing about otter other than they fight like the dickens lol! That's why I'm asking.

With a drowning set-up I wouldn't be afraid to use them. I see your picture of the 3 traps lined up- I had at one time, #2 Victor high levers that actually went up higher (to the very corner of the jaw bends). They were factory and I haven't seen any like that since. Sure, there are better traps, but if that's all ya got.....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums