Home

Marten trappers?

Posted By: Griz Trapper

Marten trappers? - 07/16/19 08:49 PM

What is the best way to wire a trap onto a leaning pole? I'd like to use both long spring and small coil springs that will fall off the tree when catch has been made.
Thanks Griz
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/16/19 10:50 PM

I would think a quick detachable cable we use for marten/fisher traps would also work for footholds that have a short chain attached. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/16/19 10:59 PM

buy some 120's and make boxes. put pans on the body grippers. pinion squawkers and other scavenging birds will thank you
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/17/19 01:57 AM

M a r t E n
Posted By: Griz Trapper

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/17/19 01:48 PM

I got plenty of 110's and 120's with boxes. I'm wanting to use my smaller coil springs and long springs on leaning poles for MartEn. Just hoping that someone that does this could give advice on how to wire flat bottom trap to a round leaning pole? Mainly trying to make them solid, do I need to to go through the trouble of flatting each pole where I place my trap of is there a wiring trick?
Thanks Griz
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/17/19 04:16 PM

I use box and conis with pans as well so have no first hand knowledge. I have seen on the Last Alaskans the technique you are asking about. They use common tie wire about two inches longer than nesessary to go around the pole and trap frame. They just place the trap with frame in line with the pole put the wire under the jaws and over the frame and around the pole give the two ends of the wire a half twist and done. I would guess that they have very little pan tension as the traps don’t appear to be very stable. The martEn are hung as you describe unless a wolverine gets there first. They have used single longsprings from what I’ve seen.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/17/19 04:29 PM

Use a 120-much more humane for the animal.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/17/19 05:14 PM

I agree with Boco, little or no bird issues either. I believe if the leg hold is any closer than a couple feet from the bait you will catch more birds than marten. Where I’m at there’s way more Clark’s jays than marten.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/17/19 08:45 PM

PM Stan Zuray he's probably out at fish camp but when he does get around to answering you probably the best method for what you want to do. But I also agree you should abandon the idea and use 120s and boxes.
Posted By: martenpine

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/22/19 05:32 PM

I run number 1 longsprings. I just run thin wire around base and pole with one twist. Simply easy fast
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Martin trappers? - 07/28/19 01:27 AM

A bent over finishing nail on the flat spot. I went to strictly 120’s awhile back for a few reasons
© 2024 Trapperman Forums