Snap clasps - 07/19/19 03:58 AM

Do you use a device like this?
http://www.northerntrapping.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=SCQS&title=Snap-Clasps
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Snap clasps - 07/19/19 06:53 AM

Not me.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Snap clasps - 07/19/19 09:49 AM

nope...quick link tightly screwed down for me.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Snap clasps - 07/19/19 11:25 AM

I believe minkeecoo we(no-bs) uses them on his system to shorten trap chain on drowners.

For connecting traps temporarily, sleep ez spring hooks can't be beat
Posted By: Bristleback

Re: Snap clasps - 07/19/19 12:48 PM

Yes, I use them, zero problems other than with one thief. Several very successful coon n mink trappers run these as well. One tip I picked up recently that was shared on the Iowa site was to run a zip tie around the jaws once they were in place. What a great idea, it’s, fast, effective and adds a little piece of mind.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Snap clasps - 07/19/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bristleback
Yes, I use them, zero problems other than with one thief. Several very successful coon n mink trappers run these as well. One tip I picked up recently that was shared on the Iowa site was to run a zip tie around the jaws once they were in place. What a great idea, it’s, fast, effective and adds a little piece of mind.

Why not just use a quick link then? Serious question.
Seems like a quick link would be just as fast but much more secure, even with the zip tie. Plus, no need to carry zip ties.

Re: Snap clasps - 07/20/19 04:05 AM

I’ve used the snaps for several years with only one problem and that was a thief in a boat that lifted a 330 n a #5 that was attached via a snap clasp, left the 10’ rerod drowning rod. The zip tie was just shared this spring. I know some use quick links, I’ve found them a bit cumbersome, they don’t swivel and often times require 2 tools, be it a wrench n pliers, or 2 pair of pliers.
Note, the whole time I’ve used the snaps, in the back of my mind I’ve always been concerned about them staying closed, despite never ever having an issue with them. The zip tie idea was shared this spring and it was one of those BOOM moments, you see something any you know it’s a winner. Zip ties are fast n easy to apply and at the same time can easily and quickly be removed with a single pair of pliers .
Before the zip tie idea was shared, I did buy several dozen of the Sleep EZ Spring Hooks from Dakota Line to try on drowning rigs. Mark Steck has a heck of a shipping program.

Re: Snap clasps - 07/20/19 04:20 AM

DD, just some more on the quick links, I don’t think I’d trust the 1/8” size, so the next option is 3/16th, I know those can be a pain in the rear getting those through some chain links. I know I’ve been very frustrated with them and others have as well. Needing to use jhook tool to spread open a link or a trap stake to enlarge a link in order to get the quick link through. I’m certainly willing to listen.
Again I’ve had great luck with the snap swivels and I know others who have caught very impressive piles of fur using them as well. The zip tie is a recent addition and peace of mind.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Snap clasps - 07/20/19 06:09 PM

I can't picture how you are using the zip tie.

Re: Snap clasps - 07/20/19 09:10 PM

Imagine opening the snap clasps with your thumb, using that flat lever. Once the snap clasp is attached to the chain where you want, the jaws are closed, simply run a zip tie around the closed clasp, immediately above the lever, that’s the narrowest point and is added insurance the jaws stay closed. If you don’t understand just say.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Snap clasps - 07/20/19 09:43 PM

Cast pot metal, has no strength, I wouldn't trust them for anything other than a dog lead.

Re: Snap clasps - 07/21/19 01:47 PM

Fact is many many thousands are used on drowning rigs. Tough to argue with success.
Where coyotes are a possibility, no I’d not use them.
Posted By: 50fps

Re: Snap clasps - 07/21/19 02:49 PM

I've used larger ones to hook my anchor line to the bow eye on an 18ft boat while fishing on the Mississippi for years with no failures. The way they are designed they are nearly impossible to open unless one manipulates the lever. If concerned with the lever catching something on a set and releasing, maybe grinding them down a touch would help.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Snap clasps - 07/23/19 09:49 PM

I started using these last season. They worked really well for mink sets. I don't think I use them for beaver

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AJE

Re: Snap clasps - 07/24/19 01:41 AM

Where'd you get those, Larry?
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Snap clasps - 07/24/19 08:05 PM

I found them by doing searches on the internet. This is from Amazon. I would not trust them for anything other than the small body traps. I tested a few and they break at the bend but I do have to pull pretty hard on them to do it. I use 1/16'' cable and it cinches the loop a little before they bust. I think they are pot metal.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums