Home

Mink Trap Treatment

Posted By: Pad Catch

Mink Trap Treatment - 07/20/19 11:59 AM

As a novice mink trapper, I am trying to determine the best treatment for mink traps. I understand human scent isnt the concern, but what is the best way to control rust and keep them lightning fast.

Thanks.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/20/19 01:13 PM

I Paint dipped my water traps and #155's for Fisher, it does well for rust control and trap speed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/20/19 02:15 PM

Brown speed dip for me. Dip early and hang up under an overhang.

Attached picture image.png
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/20/19 02:17 PM

I am the old way boil to dye and then wax .that is all my footholds. I dip my conis. but do it early.
Posted By: scotiantrapper

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/20/19 02:19 PM

I go with a gallon of acetone and a gallon of brown rustoleum and dip my traps in that. Comes out with a lightly coated smooth finish
Posted By: TheBig1

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/20/19 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by scotiantrapper
I go with a gallon of acetone and a gallon of brown rustoleum and dip my traps in that. Comes out with a lightly coated smooth finish

May be a dumb question but guys always say “Rustoleum”. I went to Lowe’s and just looked at the Rustoleum, there’s like 5-6 different varieties. Can someone please tell me which one is best?
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 01:02 AM

I've taken mink in #2 longs and they're slower than jumps(imho).
Wax is probably what would speed up the trap.
I read somewhere about setting the trap then just waxing the bottom part of the trap, leaving the jaw surfaces unwaxed for better grip.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 01:09 AM

Dye and wax.

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by joepennanti
Pad, Why do traps need to be lightning fast for mink? BlakSpot's jump looks like it was plenty fast and jumps are slower than many modern traps. Stainless 110's are the fastest body-grip, and no need for treatment they're maintenance free for life.

I don't really mean speeding a trap up, I guess I just meant a treatment that wont slow down the trap. I am perfectly happy with the speed of a #2 jump. I could have worded that better I suppose. Just trying to avoid the rust that slows a trap down.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheBig1
Originally Posted by scotiantrapper

May be a dumb question but guys always say “Rustoleum”. I went to Lowe’s and just looked at the Rustoleum, there’s like 5-6 different varieties. Can someone please tell me which one is best?

Most are referring to the Rustoleum rusty metal primer
I use that(1 gal) and 1 at black, 1 qt white, and thin with acetone. Gives a better muddy brown look. I'm sure it doesn't matter, just blends in better.

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 03:25 PM

I trap all species for management purposes to keep the line healthy.You cannot manage a trapline on the basis of pelt price.And the investment needs to be protected regardless.It costs nothing to trap mink while trapping other keystone management species like beaver.Neglect a predator like mink and it will affect other species on the line,especially rats.Mink are efficient killers,and will surplus kill.Managing mink is not nearly as important as managing beaver or wolf which have a huge negative affect on line productivity when neglected, but I will harvest some mink every season to keep things in balance.
Same goes for treating traps.It is no more effort for me to treat mink traps while treating all other traps and snares.

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by joepennanti
PadCatch are you trapping mink for fun, or profit? If profit, you might try some calculations first before you do anything; the cost of trap prep vs the worth of mink in this dismal fur market.

I trap for fun. I work concrete so winters are slower, so I run a trapline. I trap to break even, not profit. Most I ever made trapping in the last 5 years is -$40. You could probably ask that question to anybody on this forum with the current market. Never had anybody try to talk me out of trapping on here before. But I understand what you are saying, sure not cost effective.

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 06:47 PM

"PadCatch I would never, in a million years, ever try to talk anybody out of trapping. I'm also a hobby trapper, and it costs me a lot more than $40 per year to trap. (That's one tank of gas for me.) I think it's important that we have our motives and objectives in order. Hope the upcoming season is awesome for you, and that you'll share lots of photos with us."

Oh yeah, I know what you're saying. The last time I made money trapping was with my father a long time ago trapping red fox for $40 each. Mind you -$40 is the BEST year I had haha. It goes far deeper into the red most years. I appreciate it, and hope you have a great year as well. Water trapping has become a new passion and mink lead the charge for me.
Posted By: TheBig1

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
Most are referring to the Rustoleum rusty metal primer
I use that(1 gal) and 1 qt black, 1 qt white, and thin with acetone. Gives a better muddy brown look. I'm sure it doesn't matter, just blends in better.

Dusty, thank you for the clarification, I truly appreciate it.

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/21/19 11:53 PM

Forgive me for intruding on your private conversation.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/22/19 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I trap all species for management purposes to keep the line healthy.You cannot manage a trapline on the basis of pelt price.And the investment needs to be protected regardless.It costs nothing to trap mink while trapping other keystone management species like beaver.Neglect a predator like mink and it will affect other species on the line,especially rats.Mink are efficient killers,and will surplus kill.Managing mink is not nearly as important as managing beaver or wolf which have a huge negative affect on line productivity when neglected, but I will harvest some mink every season to keep things in balance.
Same goes for treating traps.It is no more effort for me to treat mink traps while treating all other traps and snares.

I have to pay my Game Commission to trap, so I guess if Im paying, I will trap whatever furbearers I want, or none at all. I get what your saying, but in this market I cant afford to run all over the country doing the "right" thing, if there is such a thing.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/23/19 09:44 PM

I dye and wax all of mine- even the body traps. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/23/19 11:10 PM

Just wax. Nothing blends in better than a rust color....and the wax is your protective coating.

Trappers love jet black traps for some reason. Black doesn't blend in to about anything.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Mink Trap Treatment - 07/24/19 04:56 AM

Andy Stoe Speed Dip in brown mixed with Coleman fuel. Use it on all water traps and BG's.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums