Home

Bike Ride

Posted By: J.C.

Bike Ride - 07/29/19 08:00 PM

Has anyone ever used a bicycle to check their line? Any recommendations?
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bike Ride - 07/30/19 12:50 AM

not me, but MANY of the legends started that way.
NOW, i'd get a fat tire bike with racks front & back.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Bike Ride - 07/30/19 10:06 AM

As a kid. I rode a bike to my boat. Then on to trap'n
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Bike Ride - 07/30/19 10:26 AM

I have been mulling bikes over. We have miles and miles of govt land w no motorized access. Could hire a buddy to pack cat cages in on horses, and drop em off where need be. Supposedly, a fat tire bike will do just fine in 6" of snow. There are trees there, id skin on the line, and carry pelts out in a backpack.

Just a cat line mind you, nothing heavy in the pack.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: Bike Ride - 09/13/19 07:41 PM

Looking at rad bikes I've been looking at electric bikes. I'd use it on my snare line,can go 25-40 miles on a charge. I'd get a small trailer to haul the coyotes out with.also get one w 4" tires. Seriously thinking about getting one.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Bike Ride - 09/13/19 08:13 PM

I have a fat tire electric bike. I use it for deer hunting. I weigh 250 and it will get about 20 miles at full throttle. I tested it. Takes a bit to get use to a bike again. It's fun and quiet and efficient. Mine is an M2S bike. 750 watt. That is usually the most allowed for road use. Mine came with lights and fenders it is street legal here. It is pretty quick too. I especially like that when the terrain is too steep it has electric assist when you have to pedal. It is a breeze to use very little energy on your part. I'm like others if I tried it for trapping I'd get one of the 2 wheel trailers they make for them.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Bike Ride - 09/14/19 04:07 PM

I used one to check traps at a neighbor's pond when I was 12 yrs old or so. But I was only hauling home a few muskrats on the good days.

Re: Bike Ride - 09/14/19 08:49 PM

I have a bike for sale. It only has been riden 45 yards. If you want to see it. Its 45 yards from my house along side of the road.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Bike Ride - 09/14/19 09:30 PM

They sell a baby carrier that uses a small ball hitch to attach to a bike that could haul a lot of stuff, if you can deal with the weight. I wouldn't care to go bush wacking with one, but it would be great for gravel roads or 2 tracks.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Bike Ride - 09/14/19 09:34 PM

A bike would be better than nothing . I just lost my bike. Ugh.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Bike Ride - 09/14/19 10:17 PM

Newt Is that In terms of 3 feet In a yard or 36" In a yard Or Is that 45 of your neighbors yards.? LOL
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Bike Ride - 09/15/19 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
not me, but MANY of the legends started that way.
NOW, i'd get a fat tire bike with racks front & back.

This, back when I was a kid and rode one all the time trapping starting with gophers then moving up to rats, mink, coon and fox, back then I never caught more then 8 or 10 rats along with 1 or 2 coon or fox at any one time

The bike I used then was just your normal 10 speed that had a cargo rack on the back that could have a coupe of old army backpacks fastened to either side to carry stuff worked just fine for what I was doing and catching at the time

Just don’t expect to get on a bike after years of not riding one and expect to go any great distance it’s a lot more work then you might remember

I know from experience lol

Re: Bike Ride - 09/16/19 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Newt Is that In terms of 3 feet In a yard or 36" In a yard Or Is that 45 of your neighbors yards.? LOL

3 feet or 36 inches
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Bike Ride - 09/16/19 07:14 PM

I use one on the ice here when conditions are right. Saves a lot of walking time. I also have a kid cart I can put behind it to haul stuff on roads and trails. Each tire has 294 carbide studs for traveling on ice....works good. Pulls an ottersled just fine with a reasonable load.
[Linked Image]

I have also carried beaver in a backpack while checking traps on the bike and I found that it is not so easy when you have a particularly big one on your back.
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: Bike Ride - 09/19/19 03:32 AM

Yes, on WMA where they mow the trails. It is far better than walking and keeps others from trapping there. Leave my old bike stashed there for the duration. Skin beavers on site though.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Bike Ride - 09/19/19 10:07 AM

Have a Cannondale aluminum, 15 speed, Mt style.
Big tires and suspension at both ends.
It's not like your Fathers Schwinn.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Bike Ride - 09/19/19 10:31 AM

^ Does it have a daisy basket on the handle bars?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums