Home

Holding Deer

Posted By: canebrake

Holding Deer - 08/25/19 11:42 PM

Has anyone on here had issues with a #3 double long spring holding deer? It seems that I read about a guy complaining of it on here one time but I can't recall what kind of long spring he was using. They usually jump right out of a 550 or 650 but I recently bought a handful of Sleepy Creek #3s to play with and I was wondering if that might be an issue because we have a lot of deer around here. Those jokers lock up tight.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Holding Deer - 08/25/19 11:44 PM

I have only known deer to trip the traps but not get held.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Holding Deer - 08/26/19 08:49 AM

Canebrake,
You having trouble holding on to those middle Ga coyotes with a normal-sized trap?
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Holding Deer - 08/26/19 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Canebrake,
You having trouble holding on to those middle Ga coyotes with a normal-sized trap?

Nope. Lots of folks love those traps for coyotes. Do you have any experience with them or did you just feel the need to attempt to be cute again?
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Holding Deer - 08/26/19 11:56 AM

I set a new bridger's #3 4 coil offset jaws laminate. I set it on a post set using red fox p. I had a yring deer caught the next morning. I thought it would have gotten out. It had pulled so hard. It mess its shoulder up. I called the game warden. He said shoot it and keep it. 2 days later had a big female coyote caught there. Crazy day on the line.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Holding Deer - 08/26/19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat_trapper
I set a new bridger's #3 4 coil offset jaws laminate. I set it on a post set using red fox p. I had a yring deer caught the next morning. I thought it would have gotten out. It had pulled so hard. It mess its shoulder up. I called the game warden. He said shoot it and keep it. 2 days later had a big female coyote caught there. Crazy day on the line.

Just curious, were those traps laminated on the inside also? If so what sized material was used for laminatation. Just trying to learn .
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Holding Deer - 08/26/19 08:57 PM

Never had a smooth jaw trap hold a Deer, Toothed might be another deal tho!

Re: Holding Deer - 08/26/19 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by canebrake
Canebrake,

Nope. Lots of folks love those traps for coyotes. Do you have any experience with them or did you just feel the need to attempt to be cute again?

I guess I just felt the need......

...good luck with them 3s.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Holding Deer - 08/26/19 11:46 PM

I'm curious what size trap you are using swamp wolf?
Those number 3 long springs have a jaw spread pretty close to a 550

Re: Holding Deer - 08/27/19 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper

Bridger 2 dogless and 550s. The jaw spread of a 3 long spring is close....just under 6"......depending on brand.

My comment was more about the bulk of a 3 long spring compared to the compact coilspring.....

...and more of a friendly gouge at someone I thought was a friend. I guess Canebreak thinks I try to be "cute" with my comments.

Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Holding Deer - 08/27/19 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper

Bridger 2 dogless and 550s. The jaw spread of a 3 long spring is close....just under 6"......depending on brand.

My comment was more about the bulk of a 3 long spring compared to the compact coilspring.....

...and more of a friendly gouge at someone I thought was a friend. I guess Canebreak thinks I try to be "cute" with my comments.

Can you provide any pics? I'm guessing you are more of the burly, rugged strong jawed type, rather than "cute"...
Posted By: red mt

Re: Holding Deer - 08/27/19 01:38 AM

Weird things happen nothing you can do about it.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Holding Deer - 08/27/19 01:44 AM

The laminate was done when I got it. The trap had it above the hoof. The trap a hold. It wasnt a big deer a yearing. I would have thought it would have pulled out. But it didnt when I skinned it . It had some shoulder damage. Only one i have held in a trap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums