Home

compass set

Posted By: kenny k

compass set - 09/18/19 06:39 PM

I have been through the archives and search. Need the distance from trap to the 4 holes?
Posted By: imissed

Re: compass set - 09/18/19 09:10 PM

I use about 18". But I'm no pro.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: compass set - 09/18/19 09:20 PM

6” from center of pan works on #2 size traps. But it’s really not that important. The whole premise is to keep its feet moving as it checks each odor So 9” works too
Posted By: illinideer

Re: compass set - 09/19/19 09:56 AM

I'm about 8 from center of pan I just gage the distance between my pinky and thumb stretched out. I run #2bridger and dukes. Michigan Trapping also gave me the tip, once you punched your holes put your lure on a q tip and drop it in with the lure facing up. Keeps it from sitting in a puddle of water if you get some rain.
This set and Zagger's pipe dream are my main go to's
J
Posted By: Tsouth87

Re: compass set - 09/19/19 01:01 PM

Not to sound just completely stupid but what is a compass set? When is the optimal time to use it?

Re: compass set - 09/19/19 09:38 PM

Bed your trap take your stake driver and make 4 holes about 6 -8 inches from the center of the pan. I make my holes about 5 inches deep. Put a different lure or bait in each hole then blend everything in. I'll make mine right in a middle of a mowed path or field edge no backing once they start to work it they'll be moving their feet checking each hole. I use this more than I do a flat set as long as I can get a hole in the ground I'll use it. Here a pic of one not blended in
J
[Linked Image]
Posted By: kenny k

Re: compass set - 09/19/19 10:24 PM

Thank you guys for the help..
Posted By: Tsouth87

Re: compass set - 09/19/19 10:29 PM

Awesome! Thank y’all. I will be adding this one in the line this year
Posted By: imissed

Re: compass set - 09/19/19 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by illinideer
Bed your trap take your stake driver and make 4 holes about 6 -8 inches from the center of the pan. I make my holes about 5 inches deep. Put a different lure or bait in each hole then blend everything in. I'll make mine right in a middle of a mowed path or field edge no backing once they start to work it they'll be moving their feet checking each hole. I use this more than I do a flat set as long as I can get a hole in the ground I'll use it. Here a pic of one not blended in
J
[Linked Image]

I don't mean to badmouth your set I just have a question,

If a yote came to the set from the 6 o'clock, can't it smell all the holes if it had its paws on the 6 o'clock hole?

I'm saying all the holes are 12" left to right and 12" up and down.

Seems to me it won't have to move at all.

Just wondering and trying to learn.
Posted By: Donnie Shafer

Re: compass set - 09/20/19 12:55 AM

I've never used 4 punch holes,I have used 3 but both should work

Re: compass set - 09/20/19 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by imissed
Originally Posted by illinideer
J
[Linked Image]

I don't mean to badmouth your set I just have a question,

If a yote came to the set from the 6 o'clock, can't it smell all the holes if it had its paws on the 6 o'clock hole?

I'm saying all the holes are 12" left to right and 12" up and down.

Seems to me it won't have to move at all.

Just wondering and trying to learn.

No problem I'm sure that could happen I think it all depends on just how curious and what mood the coyote is in and even he's not even interested there's the chance of tagging him even if he just walks through I was testing some homemade bait one year in a dirthole and had a coyote try to work from behind the backing of tall grass. He would peek his head through the grass and straddle the hole then poke his head in tilted back toward his rear legs.
J
© 2024 Trapperman Forums