Home

What color DP to buy?

Posted By: Anonymous

What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 05:06 PM

I'm looking to buy some z trap DP's. They come in a couple different colors. Does the color matter? I could see the brown or camo being advantageous in an area where theft would be an issue, but thats not my situation. Is white good so they stand out? Thanks for any help on the subject.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 05:26 PM

I have painted them white blue red camo blaze orange and i didn't notice the color making any difference. Being in the right location was always the key when i tried to look at which worked better. I had bait stations with three colors on 6 traps and would get three coon each in a different color trap. My personal opinion it helps me tell my traps from others and hide them for theft but it didn't seem to make a difference to me. Now in the bucket set world it does and i cant explain it. I found blue buckets blew the others out of the water and could never figure out why.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 05:41 PM

Only difference is if you want them easy for you to see to check them. Makes no difference to the raccoons. Brown is easier to hide from thieves, but if that's not an issue, go with white so you can see them easier. $.02
Posted By: The Beav

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 06:58 PM

Seems like It would be a waste of paint to me. If you can't find your traps you shouldn't be trapping LOL
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 07:03 PM

I got white z traps . I think the bright colors r asking to get stole. Not buying anything bold green or brown. It dont matter to a coon.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 07:15 PM

I didn't really think it was much of an issue, just wanted to check with some experienced people. The farm Im trapping has a 5 acre section of mature forest, The raccoon sign in there is unbelievable. I will probably go with the white ones as there is a very slim chance of theft, easy to spot for checks too. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 09:30 PM

The old thought that painting a trap to avoid thieves always has made me laugh. If you are doing things right and you have coon it is hard to go wrong. In that case you have a coon rolling around in a circle in a spot that would be way easier to see than a white trap. lol, LLL
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 09:32 PM

I will add that you should physically check a dp daily unless you have a cap or cup. Rats, possums, mice and yes coon clean dps out sometimes regardless of what trap you have or what color it is. LLL
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/19/19 09:49 PM

Buy the white ones and paint them like a Barber's Pole, you will catch more coon than you want to skin.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/20/19 12:04 AM

I paint them brown, white camo green, I do however place a old golf ball on top. It helps keep mice from my bait. It may resemble a egg which may help, not sure. It does cut down on mice pilfering my bait. Easy to see a missing ball from a distance also. I work at a 3 course resort so they are easy to come by.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/20/19 10:31 AM

The golfball trick does work well to keep bait thievng mice out of the trap.
I have white traps, gold, brown, pink, you name it. Color may or may not matter but put that thin right under their nose i.e. right in middle of trail and then just sharpen your skinning knife.
Jim
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/20/19 12:22 PM

Sky blue pink was the winner for me, I'm biased though.
Posted By: scratch n dent

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/25/19 12:51 PM

Do you tend to use a cap? Or leave it wide open?
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/25/19 01:13 PM

I bought some caps and thought they would be great. You can put them in upside down and have the trap basically pre set with bait in it. Then once you place the trap you turn the cap over and put a little trailing sent in the reservoir and Whala , you’ve got a rain cap that enhances the area with fish oil every time it rains.
The only problem is the first coon that comes by can leave with the cap !

Golf balls are good , lol !
Posted By: Teacher

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/26/19 07:24 AM

The Ztrap powder coating in white or brown will protect the trap from rusting very well. I’m not sure if White is any better at attracting coon than brown. On private land, White is easier to find if I’m in a hurry to check—-which is most of the time.
Posted By: Nd native

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/27/19 03:34 AM

When I think about colors and animals I remind myself that they are usually active at night and they usuaaly see color different from humans.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: What color DP to buy? - 09/27/19 11:07 AM

I have 11 dozen Ztraps. 9 dozen white and 2 dozen brown. I don’t have to worry about thieves. White is easy for me to see. Not sure about catch rate never tested it out. I use golf balls when needed.

jabNE is spot on. Put them in the middle of the trail. Have fun and good luck!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums