Home

Bigger pans for the #1 and #1 1/2 coilspring traps

Posted By: Muskrat

Bigger pans for the #1 and #1 1/2 coilspring traps - 09/19/19 09:42 PM

Rainy day, good day for "last minute" modifications. I've posted this before, but thought it worth posting again. Get these finished up and head for the carwash for degreasing.

The Bridger #1 coilspring is my go to trap for small pockets where the mink or muskrat needs to drag the trap through shallow water before sliding into deeper water on the drowner cable. IMO, #1 1/2 coilsprings are just too big for smaller 'rats and female mink. And I've found that #1 Bridger to be one tenacious trap. Won't let go of big 'coon, either.

We've got way too many predators along the Lower Wisconsin River corridor to allow a muskrat or mink to linger close to the pocket. That and I'm running a multiple day check so I want everything down and out of sight.

Stock out of the box I feel the pan is too small for the job. But robbing a Duke #1 1/2 of its pan and transferring it to the Bridger solves the problem.

The Duke gets outfitted with a Wild River pan. I really like the way this pan fills up the space inside the jaws.

Anyway, for what it's worth.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Bigger pans for the #1 and #1 1/2 coilspring traps - 09/20/19 02:56 AM

Are Duke pans the only ones that work for this?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Bigger pans for the #1 and #1 1/2 coilspring traps - 09/20/19 05:48 AM

I'm betting the difference In weight between a # 1 and 1 1/2 sized trap Is not all that different.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Bigger pans for the #1 and #1 1/2 coilspring traps - 09/20/19 10:23 AM

i'm a huge fan of those big victor 2 coilspring pans on my mink traps.

Re: Bigger pans for the #1 and #1 1/2 coilspring traps - 09/20/19 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
Are Duke pans the only ones that work for this?

Dunno. The Duke was the first pan I experimented with and I was pleased enough with the results. Besides, I already had the Dukes and was ready to go with the upgrade to the Wild River pan

Re: Bigger pans for the #1 and #1 1/2 coilspring traps - 09/20/19 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I'm betting the difference In weight between a # 1 and 1 1/2 sized trap Is not all that different.

Might not be. What I know is after switching to the little Bridger I don't have the smaller critters, or what's left of 'em, waiting at the pocket entrance.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Bigger pans for the #1 and #1 1/2 coilspring traps - 09/20/19 12:39 PM

Good points Muskrat.
Before coyotes,
when the 1 1/2 was go to for everything,
I liked the smaller pan.
The Wild River Pan guy on here, brilliant.
Pcr, put chew guards on those and you will really like em.
More coon than rats n mink in my world.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums