Home

Woodchipper

Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Woodchipper - 09/24/19 06:52 PM

Finally got a chance to try out Boss's Woodchipper that I picked up from him at the NTA. Doing a damage beaver job on a neighborhood lake. This stuff is the business. Stacking em up. Happy homeowners too.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Woodchipper - 09/25/19 03:51 AM

Great stuff.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Woodchipper - 09/25/19 04:30 AM

What kind of set do you make with it ? I assume it's food based lure not a castor based.

Re: Woodchipper - 09/25/19 06:57 PM

I just put some bait sticks up on the bank near a big feed they have going. I put the woodchipper on the bait sticks with a TS 85 out front for the back foot.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Woodchipper - 09/25/19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by TrapperCarl78
I just put some bait sticks up on the bank near a big feed they have going. I put the woodchipper on the bait sticks with a TS 85 out front for the back foot.

Don't think you even need to do that as far as location. Just pick a spot near where beaver are traveling that has some steepness.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Woodchipper - 09/26/19 03:26 AM

Will they come to it through an underwater 330 like a castor mound set ?

Re: Woodchipper - 09/26/19 03:41 AM

Don’t know Kyron. I would imagine so considering how effective it has been thus far. Maybe somebody with more experience with Woodchipper will chime in.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Woodchipper - 09/29/19 02:12 AM

What a great lure. I’ll put it on a stick in a feed ditch or in a cutout in a bank, on a stick up high with a snare, or on a feed bed/mock feed bed. This lure has worked for me in at least 8 states. East, west, doesn’t matter.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Woodchipper - 09/29/19 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by kyron4
Will they come to it through an underwater 330 like a castor mound set ?

You can do smear sets on a rock/tree just off the bank and run a 330 between the bank and the object. One of my favorite sets when the situation presents itself.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Woodchipper - 09/29/19 07:26 PM

I picked some up at nta. Young guy said it's best to use in spring. I put it back. I had 2 backbreaker 2 timber 2 build a dam. I wished I would have gotten some now.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Woodchipper - 09/29/19 07:48 PM

I use it along with a little dab of sac oil for a change up.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Woodchipper - 09/29/19 08:08 PM

Believe it or not, it is the first bottle I reach for when making a set. The stuff works year-round for me. Blak Spot, it already has sac oil in it, but if you like using more sac oil, I reckon that's good if'n it's working for you.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Woodchipper - 09/30/19 02:22 PM

Thx for lettin us know about sac oil in the wood chipper. I should explain better. I put a skinned up fresh pealed limb up on the bank about 18" from water edge. The sac oil goes near the edge of the water.
With the knowledge of sac oil in woodchipper, this will make at least two different beaver smells at the set.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Woodchipper - 10/11/19 07:45 AM

On a small river we trap there are places that have pretty steep banks, 4 or 5 feet up from the river and a loon poop bottom.
My wife Patrice says we will catch beaver up here on top of the bank and proceeds to polish up a couple soft maple sticks
and put them in a couple feet back from the top of the bank and smeared a little Woodchipper on them. Then bedded MB 750s
in front of them like you were making a P post set for a coyote. We attached the traps to a slide cable, filled feed bags with soil
and threw them into the river. This will never work I said and she claimed she had seen something like it on a Charlie Dobbins
video. Yep, I said, I watched that too but Charlie did not make the set so far above the river that the beaver needed an oxygen
tank to reach the summit. Sure enough, two dead beaver the next morning. I stand corrected and we have taken many beaver
and coon also this way. A big plus also is that the set is not affected by water elevation fluctuation.

Zim
Posted By: TrapprChris

Re: Woodchipper - 10/15/19 12:47 AM

Whats the difference between woodchippere and backbreaker? and when to use each?
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Woodchipper - 10/15/19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by chrissk
Whats the difference between woodchippere and backbreaker? and when to use each?

Woodchipper is a food base lure. Backbreaker is a castor lure.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Woodchipper - 10/15/19 01:36 PM

I buy it by the pint, Backbreaker too. Seems every season my biggest beavers come on Woodchipper.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Woodchipper - 10/16/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat_trapper
Originally Posted by chrissk

Paul said it has a little castor in the woodchipper too, now he says sac oil, pretty soon we'll have the whole recipe. lol I have had great success with both of them! The woodchipper I used in a simple set where I poke a small clump of green willows at the water's edge, put a dab of the lure in the middle and set the trap out front in shallow water.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Woodchipper - 10/16/19 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by bobcat_trapper

Paul said it has a little castor in the woodchipper too, now he says sac oil, pretty soon we'll have the whole recipe. lol I have had great success with both of them! The woodchipper I used in a simple set where I poke a small clump of green willows at the water's edge, put a dab of the lure in the middle and set the trap out front in shallow water.

Another ingredient is 4 herb. I pick and process the 4 herb myself. And the 4 herbs are fairy wings, fairy dust, fairy toenails and fairy dandruff.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Woodchipper - 10/16/19 11:36 AM

Paul, thanks for the tip. I have been growing this 4 herbs for years with no buyers. I’ll ship today for a trade?
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Woodchipper - 10/16/19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins

Another ingredient is 4 herb. I pick and process the 4 herb myself. And the 4 herbs are fairy wings, fairy dust, fairy toenails and fairy dandruff.

And for proof, Trapstickman has witnessed Paul gathering the fairy wing dust. This is an actual photograph:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Woodchipper - 10/16/19 02:18 PM

Equal portions of each Paul?
Posted By: goldy

Re: Woodchipper - 10/22/19 12:45 AM

It's my favorite beaver lure. I use it spring, summer, and fall. The only thing I don't like about it is the consistency. I just wish it was a little stickier so it would cling to a stick. But beaver sure do like it, it's the first one I reach for the majority of the time.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums