Home

Toggles For Coon

Posted By: acron

Toggles For Coon - 09/25/19 07:17 PM

So I have been watching Coon Creek Outdoors and he has been using what he calls "toggles". basically just a trap attached to a dead fall limb or something he grabs from the creek bank. What I can't figure out is how he attaches the trap to the limb or whatever. It looks like he uses a fender washer of some sort or maybe these are his earth anchors. Just looking for advise on how to quickly attach a trap to a log or toggle.
Posted By: Hanger

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/25/19 07:23 PM

I thought he was using a cable extension and fence staple. Hammering it to a log
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/25/19 08:39 PM

I don't know how he attach the trap to the limb, but I used wire. The fender washer you mentioned, I know he makes and uses his own pogo cable stakes...
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/25/19 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure what Hammer said. I want to say I've seen him do it in a couple of his videos. The fender washers are his home made pogos for sure. I really like his videos.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/25/19 11:11 PM

Pretty sure he uses fencing staples.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/26/19 11:46 AM

I've used extension cable with loops on the ends. Slip one loop through the other after going around the limb or tree. Attach to trap with a quick link.

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/26/19 12:33 PM

Blak Spot - probably can't be used on any limb like a straight one because could be pulled off?
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/26/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by acron
Blak Spot - probably can't be used on any limb like a straight one because could be pulled off?

Cinch it down tight in the middle of the clog, too many nubs and bumps for it to slide off in my experience.

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/26/19 03:15 PM

if i were to use a fence staple is a 2" long enough? overkill?

seems like a good idea and can stop using as many stakes and also would help to keep the set area cleaner. more so around a creek pocket set or something
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/27/19 05:29 PM

if i were to use a fence staple is a 2" long enough? overkill?

seems like a good idea and can stop using as many stakes and also would help to keep the set area cleaner. more so around a creek pocket set or something

I use 1 1/2" fence staples. They work great.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/27/19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
I've used extension cable with loops on the ends. Slip one loop through the other after going around the limb or tree. Attach to trap with a quick link.

Good idea.

Another thought would be to make your extension cables like a snare. Enlarge the snare loop, bring the log/limb through the loop, cinch it down in the middle with the snare lock, and quick link or S-hook to your trap chain, being sure to have extra swivels. Just another method, and this one insures the cable won't slip sideways on the log or limb.

I'd go this route before using staples. I'm sure the fellas using staples are doing what works for them, and that's just fine, no nay-saying here. My concern would be I'd grab a log/limb that would have some rot undetected and I'd sink that staple in there and the 'coon would eventually work that staple out. The concern is for me. That would be my luck. Just saying Murphy is my middle name.

grin
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/27/19 07:45 PM

Stake the coon In place.
I can see a coon dragging a heavy branch Into the water and floating down the river. And If you chose to use a snare type connection and a heavy branch make sure you attach the snare to the middle of your clog so It will hang up easier.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/27/19 07:46 PM

So I have been watching Coon Creek Outdoors and he has been using what he calls "toggles". basically just a trap attached to a dead fall limb or something he grabs from the creek bank. What I can't figure out is how he attaches the trap to the limb or whatever. It looks like he uses a fender washer of some sort or maybe these are his earth anchors. Just looking for advise on how to quickly attach a trap to a log or toggle.

[Linked Image]

OP here’s your answer
Posted By: Coon Creek

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/28/19 02:25 AM

Dont post much but figured since there intest I'd explain my setup. I use 2'' fence staples. Never had a issue with critters pulling the staples out. Just don't drive into rotten wood. I use cable stakes on all my traps. Mainly pogos or super stake ends. By using the staples and driving over the cable, it allows me to keep the cables stakes on the traps. This gives me two staking options. When using toggles attach in the middle to create more drag. It is surprising how small of a toggle it takes to hold a critter. This method is very quick and when used with dirt hole or pocket sets leaves the set mainly undisturbed making remakes faster. Probly caught a few thousand critters by now doing this. Just trying to share tried and tested methods. This method works for me but may not work for every one.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/28/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Coon Creek
Dont post much but figured since there intest I'd explain my setup. . . .

After reading this thread I checked out a few of your You Tube videos. Nice work.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/28/19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
Originally Posted by Coon Creek
Dont post much but figured since there intest I'd explain my setup. . . .

After reading this thread I checked out a few of your You Tube videos. Nice work.

Check out his boat build series. Very talented guy. I've been watching his videos for years. I also love his "Professional Fur Handling" videos.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Toggles For Coon - 09/29/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot

^^this...…..and I always heard them called "clogs"
© 2024 Trapperman Forums