Home

Mid to high end conibears

Posted By: K9BeavCoon

Mid to high end conibears - 09/26/19 03:23 AM

Hello everyone, long time lurker here, about to start my second year of trapping. Last year I caught a dozen beaver with my 4 duke 330’s and 2 Mb750’s in 3 nights and I’m hooked! I need more conibears! Also gunna try my hand at otter and bucketing some coon. The duke’s work great but being that I’ll have these traps a long time I assume I’ll run into missed catches and wish I had a magnum style conibear. So i’d like to try some magnum Bridger’s or maybe Bellisle’s. What’re your guys’ experiences with these traps? Are there any reasons to choose one over the other?
Posted By: MTviking

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/26/19 03:37 AM

I'm new on this site as well. My two cents...... I just ordered a a doz. each of Belisle 120's and 160's along with a 220 and 330 to add to my existing supply of dukes and bridgers. I haven't used the Belisles yet but they seem just as advertised. I don't trap to make a profit, so I'd rather buy the best traps available even if it means buying fewer. That said, unless you are buying piles of traps, the cost difference is pretty marginal. "And that said ", I don't think fancier traps will necessarily make me a better trapper, but I take pride in having good quality stuff and I'm willing to pay for it.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/26/19 06:58 AM

I have 20 year old Victors, some 15 year old Bridgers and a smattering of other 330s. If you have the money, go for it with the high end stuff. As I recall from a conversation I had with Bogmaster, he swears by Duke 330s.

As for 160 sized body grips for coon, I use whatever is on sale. Though I have friends who swear by Belisle. I think I may have a couple Sleepy Creek 220s laying around. Got rid of most of them when it looked like we might lose them about 5-6 years ago. Got 160s and never looked back.

To each their own
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/26/19 10:59 AM

My Bridger 330s are in case of emergency only. Primarily run belisles, then dukes. You fight the bridgers too much because of the small spring eyes and the safeties are a PITA.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/26/19 01:12 PM

Think your doing it the right way in buying a couple of each and trying them out. When it's all said and done whatever you like is what you will stick with. Like the safetys on the Belisles and have caught some blanket beavers by the front foot under the ice with them, which I would have missed with others. I still run my other brand 330's and 280's but if I have to choose its the Belisles.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/26/19 01:28 PM

The safeties and the magnum closure sold me on the belisles. They are an impressive trap.

That said, thousands of animals have been caught in dukes, bridgers, etc.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 02:45 PM

Belisle.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 03:30 PM

Belisle, LDL and Sauvegeau brand traps are well made and will more than pay for themselves but,,,,Magnum jaw Duke 330 and Bridgers perform very well for me.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 03:56 PM

The critters I trap can't read. Never saw the need for all those high end traps when my Dukes have preformed well for 20 years or so.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 08:56 PM

You get what you pay for. I used to have some snapped 220 sized BTs in coon trails- not anymore. There is something in the trap each time it snaps. One day I got a coyote by the front leg in one. Glad I had a good anchor. Same with beaver. They pay for themselves.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 09:09 PM

For beaver I use whatever I can get the cheapest and usually used. Most of what I run are Duke and Victor. They all kill beaver just fine and I rarely have a snapped trap that is empty. I have held beaver by the rear foot in standard dukes. If the trap is adjusted properly they all work fine.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 09:11 PM

What matters most is full jaw closer not matter the make. I prefer the trap I have in the truck as long as the jaws close completely. Belisles are almost to strong, Bridgers seem about right, but they both kill quick.. as do the Duke mags.. Ya beav I said that LOL
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 10:31 PM

Got a good mix of 330's. Northwoods, Victors, Bridger, Duke. I think I even have a couple of new Belisle's put away someplace. Mmmm I better go look. grin
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 10:46 PM

I’ve given 5 brands a fair shake, and there isn’t a 330 I prefer more than Belisle. In my honest opinion, I feel as though they’re the safest trap that I use, they seem to stabilize best, and I just plain like them. There are no safeties better than belisle type, in my opinion, and I like their triggers a lot.

If the trigger wires break, they’re easy to replace. If the jaws bend, 2 hits with scissor setters or whatever else I have nearby that’ll do the trick, and it’s good as new.

I only do ADC, someone fur trapping may prefer something else. In smaller sizes, I have other brand preferences, but in 220, 280, and 330, Belisles are what I want.

Posted By: old_newbie

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 09/27/19 11:28 PM

I bought some Belisles last season, and prefer them to the other body grips I've used.
Posted By: Mr. Ed

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/01/19 03:50 AM

I have ALL Duke 330's and 1 1216 MTP . I have tried Bridgers in the smaller sizes and do not like them. I do like the 4 way trigger on Victors which I replace with on the Dukes when one breaks.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/01/19 09:08 PM

Duke/victor work fine. All look the same underwater.
Must have dumb beavers here, don’t seem to care what trap kills em.
Osky

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/02/19 03:24 PM

If you want to spend more then $300.00 a doz for belisle 330s be my guest.

As to complete closer I've been witness to critters caught by tails and feet that weren't In drowning situations and It's not pretty.

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/02/19 03:41 PM

I, and I'd assume most people running a sizeable line, have a low tolerance for annoyances on the line. If we did, we'd all be running dukes.

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/02/19 04:43 PM

Running long lines? I spent 15 years trapping for 2 months in each of those years In SC and NC. At times I had 100 or more Duke 330s In the water. My numbers speak as to how well those Dukes worked.
Those Belisles are great traps but you don't need them to kill beaver. And everyone talks about those great safeties yes they are but the only time I ever used a safety was when I was storing or transporting or removing a catch. The first thing I do when setting a 330 at a location Is to remove the safeties.
I don't know If they have changed the trigger set up but the original set up was junk In my opinion.

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/02/19 06:04 PM

What else would you use safeties for? Only time I see people not use safeties is 330 setting contests. I don't like having to pay attention to where the safeties are on non belisle traps. They get hung up on stuff you don't want em to get hung up on. Especially when you have ri set the trap with the springs turned upwards.

The runaway springs on dukes and bridgers are a major nuisance.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/02/19 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by K9BeavCoon
So i’d like to try some magnum Bridger’s or maybe Bellisle’s. What’re your guys’ experiences with these traps? Are there any reasons to choose one over the other?

Some of you guys get so hung up on defending your Dukes, that you forget the ORIGINAL question, from the op.

He's looking for help or advice about one or both of these traps.

To the original poster...like others have stated, Belisle has the best safety, and best trigger of the 330 size body grips...in MY opinion. They are fast, and they are strong. You'll have them for a very long time, after you buy them. I've used Victor, Bridger, Duke, and Belisle.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/03/19 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by yukonal
So i’d like to try some magnum Bridger’s or maybe Bellisle’s. What’re your guys’ experiences with these traps? Are there any reasons to choose one over the other?

Some of you guys get so hung up on defending your Dukes, that you forget the ORIGINAL question, from the op.

To the original poster...like others have stated, Belisle has the best safety, and best trigger of the 330 size body grips...in MY opinion. They are fast, and they are strong. You'll have them for a very long time, after you buy them. I've used Victor, Bridger, Duke, and Belisle.

Exactly, 100%.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/03/19 01:18 AM

X3 on the Belisles. Another plus is the springs can't go around the corners of the trap either so they don't get all tangled up and hard to get set.
Originally Posted by yukonal

Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/03/19 01:27 AM

ive had beavers alive on the bank in dukes too! Not much way to avoid that unless you use drowner cables. I agree its a unsightly event but IT happens. Murphys law if it can it will eventually . I used to feel the same way until I bought a dozen belizes. But if I was long lining dukes would fit the build. For theft reasons solely! Guess it wont matter now they priced them selves out of business. I fear all these higher end trap manufactures will endure the same fate .
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/03/19 03:16 AM

Well, as to cost, and this just me:
I am a contractor, and ask myself: If I buy this particular tool, the best in it's class, can it pay for itself in one or two jobs?
If the answer is yes, and I am reasonably sure I will use it again, I buy it.
If I need a tool that might work one time, for a job I might do one time, I might buy a tool that will work one time.
Sometimes I get lucky and it works o.k. several times. Up to you.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/03/19 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
Well, as to cost, and this just me:
I am a contractor, and ask myself: If I buy this particular tool, the best in it's class, can it pay for itself in one or two jobs?
If the answer is yes, and I am reasonably sure I will use it again, I buy it.
If I need a tool that might work one time, for a job I might do one time, I might buy a tool that will work one time.
Sometimes I get lucky and it works o.k. several times. Up to you.

Very well said!

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/04/19 12:44 AM

That may be true when talking about high end tools versus lesser tools In the construction trade but were talking about a trap.
We have a trap with 2 springs and a triggering system that Is pretty much the same as any 330 BG. Springs on all 330s are pretty much equal In strength. I will admit a belise 330 may have stronger springs then most but a Duke 330 has some pretty stout springs.
I can with my cost buy 2 doz Duke 330s versus 1 doz belises that In It self will catch me more beaver and otters.
Comparing different 330s Is like comparing to different framing hammers. One may be cheaper then the other but It's still going to drive a lot of nails and get the job done.
Posted By: Kre

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/04/19 12:47 PM

I started buying Belisle 330's in 2001. The first dozen I bought from Cumberlands cost me $180. I built up my arsenal over the next couple years.

Probably some of the best money I've ever spend on trapping gear. Worth every penny. Best body grip for under ice beaver and otter trapping.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/04/19 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
That may be true when talking about high end tools versus lesser tools In the construction trade but were talking about a trap.
We have a trap with 2 springs and a triggering system that Is pretty much the same as any 330 BG. Springs on all 330s are pretty much equal In strength. I will admit a belise 330 may have stronger springs then most but a Duke 330 has some pretty stout springs.
I can with my cost buy 2 doz Duke 330s versus 1 doz belises that In It self will catch me more beaver and otters.
Comparing different 330s Is like comparing to different framing hammers. One may be cheaper then the other but It's still going to drive a lot of nails and get the job done.

Cheapskate. lol

Seriously though if the Belisles hold just a couple beaver every month more than the dukes, in the long run they will more than pay for themselves. Nothing wrong with a foot or tail caught beaver, you still get the same money as the one caught by the neck or suitcased across the body.

Even the smaller Belisles will pay for themselves...

[Linked Image]

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/04/19 02:31 PM

I won't show you the pictures of the coon that left their legs or even a shoulder In a belisle 160. These coon were reaching in those baited BG boxes. It's not fair to the animal.
A critter trashing around with a 330 on It's leg Is just asking for a bad situation.

I always figured you were doing something wrong If you were catching a beaver by the foot or tail or maybe just un lucky.LOL
Posted By: k snow

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/04/19 02:58 PM

I won't show you the pictures of the coon that left their legs or even a shoulder In a belisle 160. These coon were reaching in those baited BG boxes. It's not fair to the animal.
A critter trashing around with a 330 on It's leg Is just asking for a bad situation.

I always figured you were doing something wrong If you were catching a beaver by the foot or tail or maybe just un lucky.LOL

What's not fair? The belisle or the baited BG box?

Why is "thrashing" with a 330 any different than being caught in any other foot hold trap?

Animals don't always head straight into the trap, hence the toe, tail, foot, nose, etc catches.

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/04/19 03:02 PM

I'm pretty sure most of the tail/leg caught beaver are from with educated beaver or plain square shy they see the trap and try to turn around last second. The other option is a shallow set trap gets knocked down and the next beaver through steps on it.

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/04/19 03:02 PM

I'm pretty sure most of the tail/leg caught beaver are from with educated beaver or plain square shy they see the trap and try to turn around last second. The other option is a shallow set trap gets knocked down and the next beaver through steps on it.

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/04/19 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

What's not fair? The belisle or the baited BG box?

Why is "thrashing" with a 330 any different than being caught in any other foot hold trap?

Animals don't always head straight into the trap, hence the toe, tail, foot, nose, etc catches.

Big difference In a foot hold being clamped on a foot then a BG.
Posted By: Pilgrim22

Re: Mid to high end conibears - 10/06/19 01:10 AM

Was that with dukes??
© 2024 Trapperman Forums