Home

Mt. lion trapping

Posted By: Roto205

Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 03:27 AM

I know there are several states where you can hunt lion, but are there states where you can trap lion. Thanks
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 03:37 AM

Texas
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 03:57 AM

You can in New Mexico for now. Hopefully that doesn't change before next year.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 04:20 AM

I'm waiting for someone in Wi to get 1 in a coyote trap.

DNR could collar it then I would assume.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 04:55 AM

Have been expecting to find one in one of my coyote sets one of these days. Haven't seen any signs myself but local bowhunters have caught them in their trailcams. Would be exciting to be able to trap them!

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 09:21 AM

Thanks lion, wolf and bear are all on my bucket list.
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 12:37 PM

10bands caught one on his line here locally a few years ago. We can’t keep trapped lions. If you’re interested in learning, contact Paloduro here on Trapperman. He’s in Texas and has plenty of experience with it.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 01:18 PM

This wasnt asked for but every story I have heard about lions getting caught has ended with the trapper having to deal with a little more then they bargained for.

You must release them here in Utah.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/09/19 03:11 PM

I went to the mountain lion trapping demo at the western in june, bill applegate and his daughter holly. And it was very good, i was amazed at how much blocking they use. All i have to do is set a bobcat trap in rocky cat country to end up with a long tail to release. We need to be allowed to trap them, if the hounders won't kill them i bet the trappers would.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/10/19 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Have been expecting to find one in one of my coyote sets one of these days. Haven't seen any signs myself but local bowhunters have caught them in their trailcams. Would be exciting to be able to trap them!

It's been in the back of my mind as well, up in the north the sightings are really becoming common. My cat line is all 650's and considering the holding power and attractants I use I'm thinking I had better be a bit more careful when approaching my sets.

Osky
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/10/19 01:17 AM

You can in Texas.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/10/19 01:45 AM

Hi mark. I thought that was a husker cat in your pic???

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/10/19 05:00 AM

This is a Husker Cat but I was commenting about Tejas whistle

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/10/19 05:03 AM

I've caught two in Texas but I'm never the first to the scene. Ranch hands spot a cat LONG before you get to it, especially when they know what you're trying to catch.
Lions are tricky! Here today and then gone tomorrow.
I had five lions with recent sign evident on my ranches last year and didn't catch any of 'em. Never saw another set of tracks and I'm only on places two weeks or so and they wander far and wide.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/10/19 09:48 AM

Mark, I just like it when you call it a husker cat. grin
Jim

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/10/19 07:27 PM

Mark it has to be a rush to walk up on such a powerful and beautiful animal like that.
Posted By: Schweine Jaeger

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/11/19 01:47 AM

You can here in Texas. No season and no limit.

Most if not all of your cats will be here in West Texas on private ranches should you be fortunate to gain access. That being said, many ranches WANT a trapper to take the cats so it boils down to establishing that initial relationship.

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/11/19 04:23 AM

Schweine,
Both my Texas cats came from the Freer area in south TX (the valley) and they are not un-common in and around Del Rio where I'm at also.
They just kind of show up in that country.

Mark
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/11/19 09:56 AM

States like Colorado have severely limited the use of foot traps and always required the release of lions. Colorado has cut back on the quotas they set for them. Deer populations are decreasing now that lion and bear populations have risen but no one knows why.

Most western state game departments like the money lion hunting feeds them. N.M. solved that by requiring an expensive extra tag to trap them. Lions are always going to be a problem when western bobcat trapping. If one shows up bobcats are going to get scarce. They just wont move much. Lions kill bobcats the way coyotes kill red fox.

Lion has a big stride. Most of the time a lion wont step on your trap if trap is positioned for a bobcat. Most is not always. CO UT WY need to increase the number of lions killed. N.M. wants to increase the number killed but that rough big country makes it difficult. Also its only legal to trap them on private property or state property. That big stuff is BLM or forest.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/11/19 11:16 AM

Utah did increase the number of tags this year. Aparrently a few big ones were spotted in the city. Still Im little excited and concerned to have that one incidental catch.
Posted By: Schweine Jaeger

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/11/19 12:13 PM

Mr. June, 10-4,

The department and other ranches in the Trans-Pecos and The Valley actively monitor and manage them. The department mostly does it to enhance desert big horn sheep restoration in and around the Davis, Guadalupe, and Del Norte Mountains and the Big Bend area and the ranchers are active for obvious reasons.

The Valley is a great travel corridor for them coming from farther west Texas and New and Old Mexico. We get them infrequently up here as they travel out of New Mexico along the Canadian river.

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/12/19 01:08 AM

Good points S. Jaeger,
I've had one walk in the vicinity of my coyote sets twice 20 minutes from Austin along the Colorado River corridor also. They are buggers on Axis, about one every 4-5 months as they wander through on their circuit.

I've had 'em in Uvalde area quite often also meander down a bladed road as well as "just missed one" by inches (using these 550s is not ideal to get a big old lion paw on the sweet spot) last year outside Cotulla.

They don't even surprise me anymore they are wandering around so much but then TX is the land of milk and honey if I was a big cat.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/12/19 02:22 AM

You can trap them in Idaho but you must release them.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Mt. lion trapping - 10/12/19 04:23 AM

Imagine releasing 1 of those.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums