Home

How much wax dirt per set?

Posted By: wisconsinteacher

How much wax dirt per set? - 10/11/19 03:12 PM

On average, how much waxed dirt do you use per coyote set when using MB 550s?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/11/19 04:00 PM

2-3 cups depending on use. Flat sets that'll get a grass coating on top get less, exposed dirt sets get more so as to blend in with local dirt.

I've taken to using peat moss inside the jaws and it cuts down a bit on the amounts needed.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/11/19 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
2-3 cups depending on use. Flat sets that'll get a grass coating on top get less, exposed dirt sets get more so as to blend in with local dirt.

I've taken to using peat moss inside the jaws and it cuts down a bit on the amounts needed.

Yep. I run mostly the grass coating on top. One of the things I borrowed from the pipe dream set. Peat inside the jaws didn't work so good for me last season, but when it's dry, it saves how much waxed stuff you have to use.
Posted By: LDW

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/11/19 11:55 PM

Depends how tight you dig the trap bed.
Posted By: AJE

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/12/19 12:57 AM

A cookie cutter helps reduce the amount of wax dirt needed.
Posted By: super cub

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/12/19 03:03 AM

I use 1/2 gallon on 550's
Posted By: KJD357

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/12/19 11:11 AM

I make up 1 gallon per coyote trap ahead of season. That will cover the initial set and a couple of remakes. I put my waxed dirt in a couple of old 16oz plastic bait containers to get the dirt from my truck to the set. If I dig my bed tight enough I can get it bedded and covered in less than 32 oz.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/12/19 12:54 PM

Early season before the ground freezes and stays froze 1/4 gallon. After the ground stays froze 1/2-3/4 to surround the trap over and under.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/12/19 05:40 PM

One pint, or approximately 8 traps per gallon if you look at it that way.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/12/19 06:09 PM

I use just under a gallon for a bridger #3, and if it's a bobcat set i may even use a touch more because them traps could be set for 50-60 days. I want to be able know that them traps are bullet proof from the freezing and thawing and freezing.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/13/19 11:26 AM

Mark, would you please show us how you get away with only 1-pint per set?
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/13/19 12:43 PM

He traps Texas LOL..
Posted By: AJE

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/13/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by trappergbus
He traps Texas LOL..

I think he has trapped a lot in Mi though. I too would be curious how to get that many sets our of that qty of wax dirt.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: How much wax dirt per set? - 10/13/19 05:31 PM

I put my waxed dirt up in clean gallon milk jugs. Got 50 all ready to go. A set 550 is flat and about same diameter of a milk jug. So...how many stacked, set 550s would be about same height and width of a full milk jug of waxed dirt?? Several.
I can get several sets out of one gallon of waxed dirt. Dont dig the bed any larger than the set trap, that's the key.
Make the initial set, then stash the jug with remaining waxed dirt in a nearby brush pile or weedy fencerow for quick remakes, so you dont have to carry it with you each trip and will always be dry and at same temp.as the rest of soil, every day.
Jim
© 2024 Trapperman Forums