Home

Cover Hulls

Posted By: AJE

Cover Hulls - 10/12/19 01:11 AM

Do many of you use these?
https://www.minntrapprod.com/mobile/Andy-Stoes-Cover-Hulls/productinfo/23COVERH/
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/12/19 01:48 AM

Use grass or something rather than wasting money on hulls.
Posted By: Andy27

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/12/19 02:02 AM

I like using them for cats when the ground is frozen in swampy areas. Chop out a bed, and cover trap, and area with hulls. I use them a lot with great success.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/12/19 07:33 PM

I have used them in the winter. Work ok. I like pete moss , but will try the grass clippings this fall.
Posted By: HFT AK

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/12/19 11:36 PM

I use them, have no complaints.
Posted By: trapperbill

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/14/19 02:06 AM

Been using em for years. Not everyone is a set by truck trapper. I carry em in ziplock bags and walk in to good cat set locations. Dirt gets too heavy.I use em for most all my canine sets too when ground is frozen. Once your trap is bedded solid dump on the hulls.Then lift trap slightly so the hulls slide down around the jaws,then twist trap.If you pour em and use too many and a bigger trap bed you will have a hard time getting the trap solid.Make sure you cover a little bit with dirt on top to finish set. Wind and other issues .Makes no difference if that thin layer on top freezes. A good strong trap will but threw it.I also always use a little poly fill under the pan. If you don’t I have had certain traps not compress the hulls that get under the pan and prevent the trap from firing.hope this helps some as I know there is a learning curve to using em.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/14/19 04:55 PM

X2 Vermiculite is interesting to work with,they both have their uses.

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/27/19 04:07 AM

[quote=rick olson]X2 Vermiculite.../quote]

Vermiculite...I've never heard of that.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/27/19 10:47 AM

I used hulls for years back in 90s. A little pricey and worked well for coyote sets in cold late season if it was dry. Even hulls would frost over and would have to lift a layer of crusted hulls off my traps every once and awhile to keep em.operating in late season. Very light to carry for us foot trappers for coyote and coon.
I put mine up in clean 1 gallon milk jugs for easy pouring, carrying, and stashing in nearby brush piles for set remakes.
I've switched to waxed dirt or chopped straw these days. Have bought a bag of andy stoes hulls in years. Saw they had really gone up in price lately. Wowzers.
Posted By: jnsff69

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/27/19 12:08 PM

Probably do not want to use vermiculite. Older hazmat teams used it as an absorbent. It absorbs water extremely well.

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/27/19 01:56 PM

Chopped straw, Jim. That's a new 1. I have not heard of that for a trap bed.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/27/19 05:43 PM

More of a cover, like hulls. Never could bed in hulls had to use the pins like in dobbins book or use waxed dirt.
Jim
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/28/19 01:55 AM

Pair of good scissors and a big handful of dry grass
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/28/19 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by 3 Fingers

Do you bed the trap in the dry grass, or just cover with it?
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Cover Hulls - 10/28/19 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ditchdiver
Originally Posted by 3 Fingers

Do you bed the trap in the dry grass, or just cover with it?

I have used under and over trap, but I have never trapped for coyote
© 2024 Trapperman Forums