Home

Picking a trap size for a set.

Posted By: Steelflight

Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 06:36 PM

Ok those of you that have a mixed bag of trap sizes. Lets talk. I have 1.75, #2s and #3s what about a spot can deteirmin the trap size that gets put down. Never mind the targeted animal for now. Case in point I set a blind trail set the other day. A bridge #2 was put down. I did not use one of my #3s because well deer can get stuck in them. A 1.75 just did not seem to fit the game trail. What are your thoughts if your setting a new spot and need to choose from like three different sizes.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 06:49 PM

Guides guides guides then the trap size Isn't a issue.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 07:54 PM

What brand of 3's are you using that hold deer? they make one jump and pull right out of mine.

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 07:57 PM

I got them from a friend. One is a duke. I got no clue on the others. They might be bridgers

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 08:01 PM

they wont hold deer. might hold a 3 week old fawn. their foot is tapered. no pads like on a fur bearer. deer will pop right out unharmed. you don't need to worry about them. if your trapping in spring and hold a fawn it will be small enough releasing it wont be a problem

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 08:05 PM

I use two sizes of trap. 1 1/2 and 3. 1 1/2 for coons rat's and mink and 3's for everything else. A blind trail set gets a 3. Where I live a coyote or bobcat is lots more common than a fox. I am pretty sure its that way where you are also.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 08:07 PM

I bought some #2 victors and outfitted them with Mike's big pans for blind sets. So far I like them.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 08:10 PM

I cant say I've ever heard of a deer held in a #3.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 09:01 PM

I have held both deer and antelope in fully modified Bridger #3s. Not every time but it does happen. Target species determines trap size, location doesn’t factor in at all for me.
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 10:11 PM

I've had them k9 extremes hold deer, they were on a drag but even after they got hooked up they were still there when I got to them. But on the topic of discussion, I'm with Bob species determines trap size, and not location for me, but most of mine are of the #3 size anyway.

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 11:23 PM

bob what kind of modifications are you doing?
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/13/19 11:37 PM

I think traps with a large jawspread that grab higher on the leg have a greater chance of holding an animal with hooves. That's what I've heard anyway. They always jump right out of a 550 or 650. I can see how a #3 Bridger with laminations could catch high enough on a deer's leg to be well above the hoof.

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/14/19 12:08 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/14/19 12:33 AM

you guys need to get out and set some traps
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/14/19 01:07 AM

Mb 650’s grab plenty high and I’ve yet to hold a deer ! White tails anyway, but do antelope have somewhat of a club foot ?
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/14/19 01:32 AM

Might just be that northern deer typically have bigger heavier bodies than southern warm climate deer and northern deer have more weight to throw against the trap.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Picking a trap size for a set. - 10/14/19 01:54 AM

Antelope can be held in about any size coyote trap,from 5"-6.5",They are relatively easy to release though.I have seen deer make some pretty substantial burn circles in such sized traps but they managed to self release.Larger sized traps can be a prblem though.

Hoofed animals have a better chance to pull out if the jaws impact on the sides of the hoof.

Larger jaw spreads also have an advantage in snow and crusty,frozen ground conditions.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums