Home

Prefered coyote/cat trap

Posted By: trappergbus

Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 06:14 PM

This is not a loaded question. I'm curious , what jaw spread, dog less or dog on, Jaw thickness , offset width , is the most preferred coyote/cat trap for all coditions in your humble opinions?? Be nice please and thanks.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 06:43 PM

6"plus jaw spread,dogless,offset,outside laminated or cast jaws =MJ 600's #1,#2 - #3 Bridger Dogless fully modified I know the Victor Montgomery are a very good trap,but I have never used them.If your dealing with population area's dogs etc.very little snow to deal with the MB 550 2 coil offset is the best smaller jaw spread trap made,to this day I still use them in certain locations.I just prefer a little bigger jaw spread for bobcats and coyotes,bad side they take more dry dirt or waxed dirt.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 06:44 PM

I’m a Jake trap guy. MB 550 is also a great trap for both. My humble opinion
Posted By: 080808

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 07:13 PM

For yotes i like the KO Extreme inside laminated because we have a5 3/4 inside restriction here in NY.
May be too much for cats but works for me.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 07:23 PM

The onethat holds them

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 07:29 PM

Perhaps I should have worded it different, If you were given the opportunity to design such an animal with the above specs cosidered what would be your preferences?
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 07:38 PM

Gary,it would be a Sterling MJ 675 and they would sell for $300 per dozen,i think that would be the perfect trap,the MJ 600 is the closest to perfect coyote/bobcat trap for the northern climate that we trap in.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 07:40 PM

Would adjustable pan tension dogless help?
Posted By: Bob

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 07:51 PM

I would take dog on Bridger # 3s offset jaws and fully modify them with outside lamination, welded baseplate and centered D-ring, bubble the jaw tips, outfit them with enlarged PIT style pans and stainless steel rod dogs, with 1 foot of #2 heavy duty twist link chain, three swivels and one of the new shock spring/swivels designed by Kim Harris and super chain stakes, unless trapping in brushy country then I’d want ten feet of chain and a heavy duty drag.

If I could make that trap with cast jaws like the mb550 has that would be awesome too.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 08:05 PM

The 550 design cast jaw with 6 inch jaw spread with a full 1/2 jaw face would be awesome.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by trappergbus
The 550 design cast jaw with 6 inch jaw spread with a full 1/2 jaw face would be awesome.

Someone would still laminate that. grin

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Steelflight

Someone would still laminate that. grin

LMBO, Truth
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/14/19 08:30 PM

I'm there!
Posted By: TNcat

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 12:35 AM

#3 and #4 Vic/ Montgomery offset .
Posted By: red mt

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 12:41 AM

A true 6 inch inside jaw measurement offset jaws 1/2 jaw face is great but my concerns are they soon going to force us to a Canadian jaw measurement??? Dogless or the same dog and pan setup on the mb 550 is nice set up also. Oh and round jaw also. Because they do break cover better imo.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 01:27 PM

Dont the mb 650 cast have a 6 inch inside jaw spread on them? I cant use anything bigger than a 6 inch inside jaw spread on land in Arkansas.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 03:33 PM

Since we are discussing dream trap builds. What are the merits between doglegs and regular? Does losing that much trap really help?

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat_trapper
Dont the mb 650 cast have a 6 inch inside jaw spread on them? I cant use anything bigger than a 6 inch inside jaw spread on land in Arkansas.

It depends which version.The cast jaw,inside lam,inside/outside lam,should all be well under 6".Not sure about the others.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
A true 6 inch inside jaw measurement offset jaws 1/2 jaw face is great but my concerns are they soon going to force us to a Canadian jaw measurement??? Dogless or the same dog and pan setup on the mb 550 is nice set up also. Oh and round jaw also. Because they do break cover better imo.

Red,what are the Canadian jaw spread measurements?

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 04:50 PM

Per MTPs website, 650 il/ol inside 6 outside 6 7/8 650cast inside 57/8 outside 6 3/4 The Canadian jaw Bridger 3, jaw thickness is 5/8 but not sure if the reg actually is that or if it passes the testing to be approved. According to my sources they have gone to computer animation for testing to be approved or not. So in my mind exact jaw thickness may not be a factor if its designed like the 550 jaws. You guys with extended checks would merit from 1/2 jaw face, correct? With a 6 inch outside and a half inch jaw face the inside would be 5.5. If I'm correct this would be legal in all states. Same frame dimension as the 550 lever to lever. Thus same foot print so bedding would be real close.

Steel, I was a dog on guy till I tried dogless. Thanks to Red and Marty. No dog to get chewed on , bigger kill zone, and if the pan is below the jaws they are more screen friendly. Nothing to loose if its set up right.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 05:16 PM

Imo it does not matter what you put on the outside of jaw cast or lamentation all that is jaw thickness and reinforcement. Only time inside jaw spread is add on the inside,,, if I am looking at this correctly???
So useing that formula inside jaw spread is inside jaw spread should be 6" ,,, if useing 6 inch out side jaw spread it will be 5 inch inside at a 1/2inch jaw surface or thickness. ????
Useing the old northwoods scale of trap size. Bridger 2 is the same size as Montana 3 specical .
I like 6 inside because of snow.
Taxi ,,,,,3/16 jaw thickness ,,,plus 1/4 outside,,, plus 3/16 inside is Canadian jaw set up

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 08:55 PM

I stand corrected. It would be 5 inside.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 08:55 PM

I just go with the sterling MJ 600

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
I just go with the sterling MJ 600

As close to perfect as anybody makes now ,,, the difference it's like using a custom rifle. But priceyyyyy
Posted By: Bob

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 09:40 PM

I tried three different styles of dogless trap, didn’t like any of them. I do want to give Harris centerfires next season though. I like the looks of them
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 10:46 PM

3/16 jaw thickness ,,,plus 1/4 outside,,, plus 3/16 inside is Canadian jaw set up

That adds up to 5/8" wide jaw face to fight the snow and ice.

Seriously, guys. Can you harvest more cats & dogs by driving a Cadillac as opposed to driving a Ford or Chevy?

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/15/19 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Furvor
3/16 jaw thickness ,,,plus 1/4 outside,,, plus 3/16 inside is Canadian jaw set up

That adds up to 5/8" wide jaw face to fight the snow and ice.

Seriously, guys. Can you harvest more cats & dogs by driving a Cadillac as opposed to driving a Ford or Chevy?

I got the traps I use ,,, I believe the question was ,,,if I could have a Mercedes grin
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/16/19 12:23 AM

I picked up some bridger's #2 offset 4 coil dogless and modified dogless ones. I cant wait to try them out.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/16/19 07:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses trappers. I'll take all into consideration. Anything else you'd like to see incorporated into one new predator trap?

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/16/19 07:48 PM

Yeah a spot for a tiny glow rod. When the trap fires it gets hit and emits its green glow for the trapper to see in the dark hours. Doubtful anyone else would pick up on that quickly
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/16/19 07:56 PM

#2 bridgers--2coiled eary and 4 coiled late.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/16/19 09:11 PM

I have been using some Bridger #3 4 coil with outside laminations. Seem to work pretty good for me.
Posted By: Nate Dawg

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/17/19 01:53 AM

Thanks for all the responses trappers. I'll take all into consideration. Anything else you'd like to see incorporated into one new predator trap?

Are you researching for MB's new trap?

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/17/19 05:53 PM

Just a dream of mine.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/17/19 08:41 PM

Just a dream of mine,too.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/17/19 09:38 PM

If you have access to them the Jake trap is as good as you can get and they come all set with shocks and swivels.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/18/19 08:15 PM

A method that I have used successfully is to drill 1/8" holes through center of pans. Then put short tacks through roof shingle pan covers. That keeps pan covers in place even in high winds. After a catch most pans covers have been re-usable. That setup works for coyote, not just for cats. A few strands of grass can be used to breakup trap outline if desired but is unnecessary. A coyote doesn't know what a trap is. The roof shingle pan cover is intended to appear to as a good place to step whether or not it simulates rock.
Posted By: Cope23

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/19/19 02:26 AM

i actually like what i have, modified bridger #2 and #3....anything with over a 5" inside jaw spread off set an outside laminated with a nice pan set up and 4 coiled...if MB came out with a MB 550 with a 5"+ inside jaw spread i would be all over them...my chain and anchor set up would be the same...this would be for coyote, i don't have enough experience with cats, caught some just not enough to form an opinion
Posted By: Osky

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/29/19 04:43 AM

I use mostly MB 650 cast. Especially where strength to get up thru new snow is needed. Jake traps are terrific as well. Some 4 coil Vic's in places with human traffic near.
Just my style not based on prejudice or science.

Osky
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 10/30/19 01:30 AM

Northwoods or Monty or Bridger #2's
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/27/20 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steelflight
Yeah a spot for a tiny glow rod. When the trap fires it gets hit and emits its green glow for the trapper to see in the dark hours. Doubtful anyone else would pick up on that quickly

Maybe a text message?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/27/20 02:34 AM

I’d buy the largest legal trap you can. MB550’s are about as large as I can use down here. I catch everything in them. Even held a coyote by 1 toe. Have a pic if anyone doubts the claim. Most catches are full pad on cats and coyotes.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/27/20 06:39 PM

For me, it's definitely Bridger fully modified dogless 3. Use 2 where I know there's fox. They just bed so easily. And seem to fire out of cold ground better for me. I also like Montgomery Dogless 3s for same reason. And they seem to have more speed. I did get some Montana's. I don't know about yet. They hold good and are fast, but don't seem to bed as well. Might just be me though. Anyone else use Montana dogless? How you like them?
Posted By: AJE

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/27/20 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
For me, it's definitely Bridger fully modified dogless 3.

I'm not very accustomed to them, but I set 1 this weekend & did notice how especially easy it bedded.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/27/20 09:27 PM

My goto is a bridger dogless #2 but I do have some duke #2 roundjaws that I started out with. Right now I playing around with a 1/2 dozen of Wolf Creek dogless 2 I have caught a few coon but no coyote in them yet.
J
Posted By: beezmador

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/28/20 12:13 AM

Monty dogless #3's offset modified are a great rig and they have exactly the 5 3/8 inside jaw spread legal in my area. If I didn't have those restrictions, I'd have to be Jakes. Just awesome in every way imo
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/28/20 10:23 PM

I like the MB550 and Bridger 1.65 for cats. For coyotes i like to very different traps.......The No-BS KO K9 Extreme Jr, and the MB450 haha. Very different traps. I was a strickly MB450 guy for coyotes but then got a couple K9 extreme jrs and man they are a nice trap. The next trap on my coyote list would probably be a Coyote Cuff.
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/29/20 02:58 AM

Lately I've been using some Montgomery #3 dogless, after setting them up for pan tension, they are super good traps. Also made in the USA
Posted By: AJE

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/29/20 08:28 AM

I didn't know Montys are made in USA.

I sure like dogless traps.

I like 4 coiled traps for coyote, generally speaking, but sometimes, at least with some traps, it seems like the swivel doesn't want to lay down nice under the trap & makes it harder to get the ever important firmly bedded trap
Posted By: gkempf

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/29/20 10:49 AM

How do you set the pan tension on those dogless Montys
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/29/20 12:51 PM

I have several dozen Monty #3 dogless. About half I have taken the time with a triangle file to night latch them by filing the factory angle into two separate steps (notches). They work just like a MB550 when you go to set them. Pull down "til it clicks. Pan sits lower than the jaws. Do I know what the pan tension is? No. But I get full foot catches every time. It's a little time consuming, but I think I will file the rest of them this year.
Posted By: nightstalker1

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/29/20 01:26 PM

MB650 is my go to coyote trap
Posted By: trapperjdb

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/29/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by gkempf

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
With filing a notch like above, I get a consistent pan tension between 3.5 to 4.5lbs.

Re: Prefered coyote/cat trap - 01/29/20 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by gkempf

It's all about the angel on the contact point, go slow, it doesn't take much filing. . X2 the 650 is my go to for late season and snow. My favorite snow blind set trap by far..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums