Home

A little early but. . .

Posted By: bfisch

A little early but. . . - 11/03/19 03:23 AM

Trapping opened yesterday, but most things haven't primed up yet. However, I have a fish trap I have been checking daily and it just so happens that a fox is also checking it on the night shift. So I set one trap on opener. My oldest and I went to check it this morning. Got some fish and the fox. That gives me 100% success record! Better stop while I'm ahead! Just kidding. Some more snow and I will be out on the snow machine setting.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: A little early but. . . - 11/03/19 12:17 PM

Nice and looks cold. I’m ready for that kind of weather. Good luck with your season.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: A little early but. . . - 11/03/19 12:18 PM

Good deal and a nice picture.Got any pictures of the fish trap?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: A little early but. . . - 11/03/19 12:33 PM

I was kind of intrested in seeing the fish and fish trap also

Re: A little early but. . . - 11/04/19 01:16 AM

Was -2 yesterday and -15 this morning. Makes for some beautiful frost. The trap is cylindrical with a funnel on the one end. I set it in a beaver channel between two small ponds. The fish are blackfish and are about 4-8 inches long. Lot of oil in them and it is what I used to catch the fox since he was already checking it out. They also make excellent dog food.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: A little early but. . . - 11/04/19 02:10 AM

That's really cool on the fish trap. Blackfish. That's a new one for me. Nic job on the fox too!
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: A little early but. . . - 11/04/19 12:24 PM

Those fish look like what I call mudminnows. Are they the same thing? Nice looking fox!

Re: A little early but. . . - 11/04/19 06:56 PM

Thanks!

I think it is Alaska's version of the mud minnow but two separate species. They have very similar size and shape and both can breathe air from what I understand. Some differences would be that the blackfish have comparatively smaller ventral fins, a larger under bite, and no scales.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: A little early but. . . - 11/07/19 01:44 AM

Thanks for the pics.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums