Home

Track ID question

Posted By: TomInVT

Track ID question - 11/03/19 07:09 PM

This is my first season trapping. I found a good trail crossing a creek and just set several DPs on the coon trail (tons of coon sign). Right next to the coon trial is a trail with these prints. I don’t know what they are. Help![Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Track ID question - 11/03/19 07:23 PM

Scale would help but looks like a porcupine!

Re: Track ID question - 11/03/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Monster Toms
Scale would help but looks like a porcupine!

If you look to the right of it in the first pic is a coon for reference. Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Track ID question - 11/03/19 08:35 PM

Snapping turtle ??
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Track ID question - 11/03/19 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rubee
Snapping turtle ??

agreed

who is mentoring you?
Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. Then contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Track ID question - 11/03/19 10:17 PM

Definitely a turtle. But given size of that front coon paw in first pic could just be any small turtle.

Re: Track ID question - 11/04/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by Rubee
Snapping turtle ??

agreed

who is mentoring you?
Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. Then contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

Thanks for the advice. I actually just moved to a fairly remote area, but I will join my state org and try to network a bit. I’m surprised the turtles are still moving. It was 25° last night and it snowed today 🥶
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Track ID question - 11/04/19 01:00 AM

Looks like turtle, the dead giveaway would be that the tracks are several inches apart instead inline like most mammals

Re: Track ID question - 11/04/19 01:58 AM

I’ll check them out more when I check my sets tomorrow.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Track ID question - 11/04/19 03:03 PM

Yup, turtle.

Re: Track ID question - 11/04/19 10:28 PM

[Linked Image]

Still not sure about the track, but I got a coon!
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Track ID question - 11/06/19 03:59 AM

Good job
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Track ID question - 11/06/19 07:24 AM

Nice work!
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Track ID question - 11/06/19 10:51 AM

Good job!
Jim

Re: Track ID question - 11/06/19 11:55 AM

Followed it up with a double on day two!
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Track ID question - 11/06/19 01:54 PM

Tom is that a Vermont coon or an Arizona coon ? Either way nice coon !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums