Home

Reluring sets

Posted By: plainstrapping25

Reluring sets - 11/13/19 07:12 PM

How often does someone do that? I usually do every 2 weeks. If that too often or not enough?
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Reluring sets - 11/13/19 08:46 PM

Only if it has rained heavy. I just caught a fox in a set not touched in two weeks
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Reluring sets - 11/13/19 08:49 PM

As long as it is working for you don't stop, i go 2-3 weeks. If your using good products, that time frame is just right imo.
Posted By: Cgritter

Re: Reluring sets - 11/13/19 08:51 PM

I would say thats too often. Had a few sets out for almost 4 weeks and was going to pull them today due to no activity in the area and boom had a coyote in one today.
Have had heavy snow and melts 3 times on those sets and never re lured or re baited.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Reluring sets - 11/13/19 09:13 PM

Depends alot on weather and the lure. I had a catch last year 83 days from luring and the dirt hole had been underwater 3 times
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Reluring sets - 11/14/19 04:41 AM

5-7 days
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Reluring sets - 11/15/19 02:19 AM

I've had coyotes dig lure out of the ground 2-3 months after I made the set.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Reluring sets - 11/15/19 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
5-7 days

Do you relure with the same lure?
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Reluring sets - 11/15/19 03:32 AM

Depends if you are selling lure or not. I am a one and done kind of guy. Without a torrential downpour.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Reluring sets - 11/15/19 03:33 AM

5-7 days

That wou!d be a waste of lure unless it's been wet
Posted By: AJE

Re: Reluring sets - 11/15/19 04:35 AM

Urine you might want to put out more often
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Reluring sets - 11/16/19 07:18 PM

Well I just added some fresh urine to 4 of my sets yesterday and caught a couple coyotes today. I grabbed the ball of sheep wool with my lure and still had the same smell as a couple weeks ago. Refreshing with urine did good for me.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Reluring sets - 11/16/19 08:04 PM

5-7 days

Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
Well I just added some fresh urine to 4 of my sets yesterday and caught a couple coyotes today. I grabbed the ball of sheep wool with my lure and still had the same smell as a couple weeks ago. Refreshing with urine did good for me.

You will add more catches by refreshing your sets even if the lure is a good quality and still has smelling power. Fresh smell piques their interest. If your set has set for 5 - 7 days on a good location it's likely the coyote has already passed this set and knows it's there but not totally interested. By adding a quick shot of urine or other smell I feel it has new appeal to them to get a closer look the next time they go by. I have observed this on my line many times. Tracks going by sets and not committing. Hit set with fresh urine or gland lure and next morning they connect.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Reluring sets - 11/16/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
5-7 days

That wou!d be a waste of lure unless it's been wet

I think Mr. June probably knows what he’s talking about.....

Re: Reluring sets - 11/17/19 02:01 AM

What was i thinking i sell lure and bait, relure and rebait everyday. laugh

Re: Reluring sets - 11/17/19 02:02 AM

What was i thinking i sell lure and bait, relure and rebait everyday. laugh

Re: Reluring sets - 11/17/19 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
5-7 days

Do you relure with the same lure?

I try to stay consistent with my smells so my notes make sense. The inclination for many trappers is to not use much lure because they remember the coyotes that wanted to commit suicide and dug through month old crusty snow to get to the goodies. That's not consistent stack em in the truck everyday trapping. That's just some that want to die young I guess. I trap for specific animals in ADC or for as many as I can catch on the fur line. And to catch critters in crap weather (which is trapping season about everywhere) you gotta give something to be interested in. Some, you might kill with a drop or two, but you won't stack 'em up as best you could... cause some you have to give them em something to lean into!

I remember the first year I ran the Academy in Texas, Zagger was the third instructor up that first morning. The dude is one mean, lean stack em up machine and we were taking equipment. I'm up first, I show my fork I use for bait and say I use a "glob." Second instructor up pulls out a bait fork and says "I use a more than June, I use this much.''
I still remember, Zagman pulls out a mongo fork and laughs and says, "People are going to think I sell lure for you June, but this is MY fork!" It was like a Crocodile Dundee fork!!! Expansion handle and everything. He dug into a jug of bait and pulled out a HUNK, I mean a hunk, and said, this is how much I use.

I admit, after seeing that mongo Zagman fork in 2016.... I got a bigger fork!

Selling lures has nothing to do with my advice to help trappers out. The Lord has blessed us enough for 10 lifetimes so if somebody thinks I'm trying to grease our wheels, to sell more lures, they don't know Donna and I very well. We've been the same hard working folks since I started in 1984 and the years have been more than kind. 35 years and counting. It's gone by fast.

We help a lot of trappers and I've always been open to sharing information as I attended FT College in Indiana in the 1980's with the likes of Kermit Stearns, Odon Corp, Major Boddicker, Pete Askins, Keith Gregerson, George Stewart, and so many humble pioneers of this craft. That was back in the day when nobody taught anyone anything, and I've never forgotten those war horses and how they ran their races. Excellent examples - all of them.

Bottom line: I don't trap with a dime size glob of lure and a fork full of bait at sets much of the year, with exceptions being when it's humid... I can pull then back because moisture helps the smells.

Posted By: rick olson

Re: Reluring sets - 11/17/19 10:58 AM

I don't relure enough it sounds like,i use a good portion the first time and a generous portion of bait and fur trapping I use 1 to 2 oz of good urine coyote and fox,about 40% fox urine.I keep good records of what lure/bait was used to when I do relure I use the same smells,i do add a different lure on the set sometimes or use a different urine I use 3 different urine single male,spiked fox and spiked coyote.Very interesting thread.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Reluring sets - 11/17/19 02:00 PM

Interesting point Mark. There is a difference between working and work better. Sometimes as trappers we can get satisfied with "working " and stop looking for the "working better".
Posted By: red mt

Re: Reluring sets - 11/17/19 05:11 PM

5-7 days

This guy must be a lure maker lol grin
Posted By: red mt

Re: Reluring sets - 11/17/19 05:31 PM

I was reading a thread the other day ,guys were saying one reason a coyote just walked by is a set is to hot, to much lure, and so on the list mounted lol.
I do not buy into any of it to much lure thing ,,, guys that use lure on a cue tip pencil eraser imo are missing the boat..
Some coyotes on that day will pass it by to go down the line a mile if on there travel way to get caught in a set by a small he likes that day.
No different than you going to the fridge looking for something you want.
To think the same one lure or bait is going catch everything in one pass imo is a mistake.
They will catch most coyotes if do not miss at the pattern or some other reason sooner or later but how long will it take is question to be considered .
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Reluring sets - 11/17/19 09:01 PM

Thanks for the response Mark. I have talked to you, bought from you, watched your videos and read almost every post I see with your name on it. I know you are a good guy. I could only hope to be as good a person as you.

Re: Reluring sets - 11/19/19 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Thanks for the response Mark. I have talked to you, bought from you, watched your videos and read almost every post I see with your name on it. I know you are a good guy. I could only hope to be as good a person as you.

strike2x, Gosh I'm just a trapper who enjoys trapping. Thanks for the kind words. I wish you fine weather and a great season there in our old home state!
red mt, you make a good point. Who among us is good enough to "know" why we missed a coyote. Sure, experience and the CSI clues left behind may steer you towards a pretty good answer, but in my 40 years trapping coyotes, I've never told anyone, anywhere exactly why I missed that dog. I'm prolly close to knowing some times and sometimes I move on.

Predator Trapping has made me a better CSI "crime scene" analyzer. I set today for a coyote (one) that needs to be culled from 640 acres under fence (high fenced) and he'll be the most pressured coyote I may have ever caught if I get him. Game on! Love it! Weather is sweet finally and we are setting leg holds, in a sneaky sneaky manner with my thinking cap on. I'm the 8th trapper hired to get this dog in 2+ years. I found a couple tracks today, nothing crazy good, but 12 leg holds and 3 snares later.... game on.

Wishing all y'all good catching!
Mark
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Reluring sets - 11/19/19 01:03 PM

good luck mark that says something about how good you are when your the 8th on that ranch to catch one dog that nobody else can. i hope you school that ol dog.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Reluring sets - 11/19/19 02:11 PM

Personally the amount of lure I have learned to use is primarily dependent any more on how much trapping pressure is going on around me and animal populations. Their general acceptance behavior and their response to trap set ups you will find that out after a few checks.

Frequent visitations due to good populations is easy trapping for a seasoned trapper. Move to less populated animal areas with frequent trapper pressure is a more difficult scenario. You will be forced to make changes in sets and lure/bait procedures to continue your success in catches. I have trapped them all. I like the hot and cold approach at a group set up. Good strong stink and some very nice soft and appealing subtle smells near by.

As a general observation I believe most trappers use too much lure at a set. There will be circumstances you will learn this if you are seasoned enough to read and understand the sign that is left for you to figure out. Or just plain avoidance and nothing to go by if there is no snow, pasture like conditions or soft soil to leave much sign.

The physical visual characteristics of the set play a big role in what those animals may have seen over their travels as well. Some have learned to be cautious and suspect of that look and that odd odor all in one place once again.

Lots of things to consider. I have found it is a good practice to mix up the lure and baits in combination in pressure areas and to vary the amounts that I use as well. It is not something you learn quickly it is a learned experience that teaches you to be subtle when you need to or the situation is telling you it is the best approach with a different type of set and very little odor for support.

Sometimes no odor is the best choice. Trail or blind sets if they fit the area may be the answer at times.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums