Home

Pipeless pipe dream...

Posted By: BraskaYoter

Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/21/19 03:44 AM

Tried two new things before dark tonight on two new sets. Its been warm and couple inches of snow expected tonight. So I decided to bed a couple #2 dogless pipe dream style, they are solid and fairly quick. I had no pipe or really anything so thats why there pipeless. Instead drilled a hole almost straight down fairly shallow, couple inches covered with flat rock with couple small stones on the edges to lift it up like a shed and left a little wool showing for visual. Second experiment was the lure, since my buck was rutting i cut leg glands out put in plastic freezer bag with sheeps wool, smushed all that goodie around for awhile last night and left it till today. I cant use deer parts as bait, so i took his stench and transferred it to the wool, seems pretty strong. Time will tell if coyotes like bloody rutting buck smell, should at least get some curiosity.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/21/19 04:36 AM

I use tinctured tarsal glands in a couple of my formulations. And I know of at least a couple of commercial lure makers that use tarsal glands also. Seems to cause a particular reaction from my testing. I will say a little goes a long way in a formulation.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/21/19 02:16 PM

i never thought about that but seems like a good idea.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/21/19 03:19 PM

I have no doubt you will get some takers on that set up.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/21/19 03:20 PM

You can use just about anything from a deer and get interest from predators.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/21/19 05:13 PM

if you use 3 pebbles, ya get the Triple Pebble Set
3 set in a triangle will lift the flat object (rock or wood) off the ground for great scent flow and your lure stays outa the weather
3 acorns work too!

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 03:51 PM

Well they both connected this morning, and a third dirt hole was sprung. Two dogs and three remakes so far, but i have more to go yet. Think im liking this bedding method..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 03:59 PM

Those were both on the tarsal glands?

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 05:03 PM

Yes all three baited the same, tarsal gland on sheeps wool and urine.

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 05:06 PM

Found a rock in the jaws on sprung set also so that ones on me lol.

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 06:31 PM

Way to think out of the box. I like tarsal glands in formulations
Posted By: Zagman

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 09:37 PM

Good stuff.....I bed my sets all like that here in NY, and have done it with single and double poke holes.......in the end, here in the east with the rain and snow that's inevitable.....I STILL like to get my stink above ground vs. below ground if I can........that said, I put in some poke holes just today at places where it is elevated and stays somewhat dry......

Once you bed traps this way, its hard to picture doing it (well, for ME) the other way!

MZ
Posted By: Mac

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by BraskaYoter
Tried two new things before dark tonight on two new sets. Its been warm and couple inches of snow expected tonight. So I decided to bed a couple #2 dogless pipe dream style, they are solid and fairly quick. I had no pipe or really anything so thats why there pipeless. Instead drilled a hole almost straight down fairly shallow, couple inches covered with flat rock with couple small stones on the edges to lift it up like a shed and left a little wool showing for visual. Second experiment was the lure, since my buck was rutting i cut leg glands out put in plastic freezer bag with sheeps wool, smushed all that goodie around for awhile last night and left it till today. I cant use deer parts as bait, so i took his stench and transferred it to the wool, seems pretty strong. Time will tell if coyotes like bloody rutting buck smell, should at least get some curiosity.

You made a flat set. The only limitation on flat set is ones imagination. Zagger's bedding method is pretty hard to beat in crap weather.
Mac
Posted By: Posco

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mac
Zagger's bedding method is pretty hard to beat in crap weather.
Mac

I've been using it since the start of the season, with and without the pipe. I carry a small spade that fits right in my trapping bag and haven't had to use anything else all season to get a trap in the ground. It's the most maintenance-free set I've ever used. I'll never go back.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/23/19 11:02 PM

The only way to bed a land trap.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/24/19 12:09 AM

Like others have said, I pretty much bed all my land sets that way but I don't use any pipe. The weather here changes hourly it seems and this way of bedding keeps things rolling on.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/24/19 01:14 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
All bedded in that style, all had pipe but I use a 1/2 inch pipe and wool for a scent post set on one coyote pictured and the fox. The other coyote had bait in a 1 inch pipe. I started the season bedding that way. Love it. The fox was caught in a set that was made while it was raining and then got down I. Low 20s overnight and snowed a touch.

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/24/19 01:16 AM

What I like most about the pipe is that I can take my smells with me when I pull the set. Got tired of having holes dug weeks later and then having to switch bait and lure to make catches in the area again.
Posted By: Zagman

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/24/19 11:15 AM

I always say during my demos: "And for you cheap trappers (all trappers are cheap......OK, thrifty!) when you pull the set, you can take the pipe and your stink with you and reuse it at another location!"

MZ
Posted By: KJD357

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/24/19 11:41 AM

The Zagger style of bedding is amazing, I still dig a few dirt holes, but it’s just so fast easy to do it pipe dream style. Plus when it’s time to pull traps and you’ve got a 1’ or 2’ of snow on the ground it’s way easier to find a pipe that you can stub your toe on rather than snow packed dirthole.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/25/19 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Zagman
I always say during my demos: "And for you cheap trappers (all trappers are cheap......OK, thrifty!) when you pull the set, you can take the pipe and your stink with you and reuse it at another location!"

MZ

I love this part of the method. I personally do not like leaving the lure or bait there when done unless it is fresh or semi fresh meat. Down the road it will same you some issues, and at the time you get to use the lure again! Win win..

I am old. I have had friends that trapped for ever and got to go with them. I have taken instruction like crazy when I could afford it. Some of the money was well spent, other not so much.
Every once in a while I find myself using a trick or method and think, when did I start doing it this way. Then I remember, Thanks Mark. He has a lot of good ideas beyond the great bedding method.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/25/19 11:13 AM

between the pipe dream and the bottom edge set,runnin a mixed line is actually fairly easy and effective. wink [Linked Image]

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/25/19 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
between the pipe dream and the bottom edge set,runnin a mixed line is actually fairly easy and effective. wink [Linked Image]

I always carry bag mix of traps with me. I figure if I am driving buy anyway might as well pick up gas money on the way through.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/25/19 11:20 AM

i've actually waited as a lot of places i trap both and in this market i save as much gas as i can.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Pipeless pipe dream... - 11/25/19 02:19 PM

I’ve went to marks bedding method for every set accept step down dirt holes. The basic principle could still be used on the step down , just a little more digging and covering with dirt instead of grass .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums