Home

Snare Folks

Posted By: Minks

Snare Folks - 11/22/19 01:24 AM

Was wondering about all you snare supports ... Lots of good ones out there but my question is Treating the Snare Supports ?

Do most treat your supports.... Do you Dye and Boil like your traps , Do you just stick them in the ground rust and all , Do you dye and dip in FMJ ?

Just curious

Thanks in Advance
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 01:30 AM

I prefer the ones from fnt with the flat blade, no spinning and can tap into frozen ground on the flat part easy even if the the upright rod part is bent to crap from a previous catch. I just spray painted them flat tan.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 01:45 AM

I snare in the bush-supports all over the place.Dont need extra junk.KISS.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 01:48 AM

I don't do anything to mine.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 02:09 AM

I buy 9 wire and boil in the baking soda after I do a batch of snares. Just leave them rust up naturally, I have spray painted some doesn't seem to make a difference.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 02:21 AM

Never had much issue with scent on my snares or supports, i dont boil either. I do however spray flat tan on my snares ( in june ) do it when they are coiled so it is a broken pattern when uncoiled. Support wires are left natural, i live in county with millions of miles of rusty barbwire that coyotes dont even bat a eye at rusty wire here.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 02:30 AM

Use whatevers handy: fence, branch, post, etc. and got a roll of 14ga wire.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 02:43 AM

I don't treat my supports which usually involve 14 ga wire attached to a tree or bush. Coyotes and wolves are very familiar with human scent, wire, cable, and chain debris in the bush from logging etc. Just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible and you will have little problem.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 04:37 AM

I don't treat my snare supports at all the coyotes don't care they've seen fences and wire as well as quickly host of other things out in the hills so your supports will be forgotten about before you know it.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 05:04 AM

I make my own supports out of # 9 wire, and weld a 20 penny nail on the bottom with about 2” of overlap. Just push them into soft ground or bend wire over and drive them into frozen or hard ground.
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 05:19 AM

11 gauge wire and a snaring tool
Posted By: Newt

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I snare in the bush-supports all over the place.Dont need extra junk.KISS.

That's IT!
Posted By: Newt

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
I don't treat my supports which usually involve 14 ga wire attached to a tree or bush. Coyotes and wolves are very familiar with human scent, wire, cable, and chain debris in the bush from logging etc. Just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible and you will have little problem.

I dip my snares in Brown FORMULA ONE

Listen to what he's saying

Dont have a tree or bush ? PLANT one where you want it.

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 12:33 PM

Thanks to all for info on treating your snare supports

Minks
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Snare Folks - 11/22/19 06:11 PM

I use the snare shop snare supports. Light weight and I didnt do a thing to mine.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Snare Folks - 11/23/19 12:10 AM

I use #9 wire. I don't treat them. The critters here in Iowa are used to rusty wire. Its all over the place. Also I just bend a U about 3" from the end Poke or drive it in the ground and that's my stability.
just

Re: Snare Folks - 11/23/19 12:56 AM

Thanks again folks
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Snare Folks - 11/23/19 04:30 AM

I hang mine on the fence, or by cattle corrals. So just rusty for me works good.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snare Folks - 11/23/19 01:10 PM

I paint dip all my kill poles and support stakes with #9 wire added. Its cheap fast and easy and I don't get all that rust all over me when setting them. I believe they will last longer as well. Just use a PVC tube filled with thinned down exterior latex paint....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Snare Folks - 08/20/20 01:40 AM

Ttt
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Snare Folks - 08/20/20 05:05 AM

I started using the killpole set up . For me only way to go.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums