Home

A feeling of accomplishment.

Posted By: scheide

A feeling of accomplishment. - 11/28/19 02:25 AM

So over the years I have been reading about blind sets. This year I thought I would really like to try some on coyotes. I found two different places where I thought I had a good chance to try them. It only took two days for each of them to connect. Now, I find myself looking more and more for places to use them. It is just a feeling I got when you plant a trap in the ground a zero lure or bait and it works.
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 11/28/19 03:32 AM

We’re you using a single trap or Mafia

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 11/28/19 03:46 PM

Just a single trap where they are walking. I try to pick a narrower spot if the trail is too wide. Just two cross sticks " from the pan. Go to you tube and check out Dustin Drews videos.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 11/29/19 01:46 AM

Terry, I really enjoy the blind sets. They add an abundance of fur for me. I'll be setting 2-3 dozen of blind sets here starting Monday. It's always a surprise what shows up.
Posted By: Wife

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 11/30/19 04:32 PM

You have heard me say at my demo's many times before: "when you turn a coyote's nose on, its whole different ball game than making a blind set with either a snare, foot trap, foot snare or Ram snare". Observing a dog around the yard vs. taking the same one hunting and you will see a big difference in their focus. Travelling a trail is less intense with them. Same holds true for a coyote to a lesser degree. A whiff of something or a flutter of movement and concentration to "tunnel" attention takes over their senses. Really Terry, as good of a trapper / observer as you are (and you are good), I believe you could do it with one hand behind your back tied to a kangaroo in a 3 legged race. All those years of experience count (something lacking in today's conversations)................................ my take
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 12/02/19 12:12 AM

I've been using them too this season for first time. But having bad luck. Alot tripped traps or coons.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 12/02/19 01:15 AM

I envy those that have places they can set them. Only found one trail ever that I knew wouldn’t have deer on it and set it. Caught a coon and coyote. After those the trail dried up with no tracks. I was beyond happy with those catches. Actually made me feel like I knew what I was doing for once, lol.

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 12/02/19 02:31 AM

Gee Mike, thanks for the kind words. I actually get a thrill looking for spots to use them. I see what you mean Mike, that lure or bait puts them on alert. I just set up 6 more spots for blind sets today. Probably could have used a snare, naw, this is more fun. Wade, so far my surprises have been coyotes. But with the weather warming up, I'm sure the others will show up too!

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 12/02/19 01:22 PM

Update: I went out yesterday and managed to get in 5 sets and 1 snare. One lured set and 4 blind trail sets. Did a quick check this morning and had 2 nice coyotes in blind sets. The one was taken with a lured set not 20' away. The best part is I just set these sets yesterday and two the first day!
Posted By: rick olson

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 12/02/19 02:07 PM

Always a great feeling congrats

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 12/02/19 05:20 PM

Forgot to mention, I never had time to move the sets down the trail so I just set them back in the catch circle. Sort of kicked a trail over where the trap would be and blocked off the sides some what. Will see how that works with all the odor around.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 12/02/19 06:51 PM

The best blind sets are the ones that catch the yotes that walked by scented sets. grin Mr. Otis is spot on.

Re: A feeling of accomplishment. - 12/12/19 05:20 PM

Finally took another coyote in a blind set this morning. It was where I caught one before and just leveled out the catch circle and set it back. The odor from the last coyote might be gone by now, I don't know. But, I'm putting in more when I find the right location. Good luck!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums