Looks like a sickle bar blade converted to an anchor
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Looks like a sickle bar blade converted to an anchor

X2
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 02:39 AM

I was hoping someone knew of someone putting this sort of anchor together.
Guess I need to template these bad boys and figure it out as sickle bars are sort of uncommon in these parts.

I lost my communication with the guy who knew the guy making this when the PM’s got pruned.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 02:49 AM

[Linked Image]

So this piece. What is it? I just need a link or something to put in the search bar.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 03:07 AM

Mike that's what does the cutting of the hay or what ever it is that's being harvested.
If you knew some farmers they replace them from time to time on the swathers and combines and the wore out one's go into the scrap metal pile.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
Mike that's what does the cutting of the hay or what ever it is that's being harvested.
If you knew some farmers they replace them from time to time on the swathers and combines and the wore out one's go into the scrap metal pile.

I don’t.....
Somebody throw me a freaking link to that sickle bar part?

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by mad_mike
Originally Posted by Allan Minear

I don’t.....
Somebody throw me a link to that sickle bar part? Or offer me a price on salvaged material?

This has been yet to date the only anchor to hold for my needs.
I would seriously appreciate help in locating either the manufactured anchor or the sickle bar material that I could make my own from.
Posted By: elkchsr

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 03:49 AM

Found this with a quick google search. Don’t know a thing about this company.

Sickle bar teeth

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 03:58 AM

Thank you elkchsr. Sickle section got me to the part.

Mike
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 04:06 AM

Mike is that the original that I sent you ?

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 04:10 AM

It’s a picture of it.
I used it, a bit, and it is still in the field.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 04:35 AM

I sure hope one of the western wheat farmers on here will chime in . I hate to see you have to buy new ones when their are thousands of used ones that are just going to go in the junk .
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 04:48 AM

Interesting when I went on that site it first listed them at 38$USD but it searched my location and it fell to 23$Cd, for 25 or a dollar each.

We use them for bottom teeth of scare crows we weld up for the garden centers and the scickle tooth as the beak.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 04:49 AM

Yeah, not fond of the online pricing. Used would work just fine for me.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50

We use them for bottom teeth of scare crows we weld up for the garden centers and the scickle tooth as the beak.

I have no clue as to what that means.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 01:45 PM

Someone is welding up lawn ornaments I'd guess chickens and using sickles for a beak on them.
In some cases I've seen where they were added to a broken axe handle and used to cut bailing twine on hay bales when feeding cows.

Mike I'm going out to set a snare line and a bit of coyote calling I'll do some asking for some if I get a chance and let you know.
If there is a scrap metal recycling center up there they may have some ?
Posted By: ZionHeritageFarm

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 02:51 PM

Any Tractor Supply or local farm store will carry them. They are sickle bar teeth. Come serrated or smooth. Used on sickle bar mowers, and yes combines and swathers.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 03:04 PM

As others have correctly stated.....they are sickle bar sections.....used on hay mowers and combines alike. I have a whole stack of used ones in the barn.

What I'm trying to figure out is why anybody would want one?

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
As others have correctly stated.....they are sickle bar sections.....used on hay mowers and combines alike. I have a whole stack of used ones in the barn.

What I'm trying to figure out is why anybody would want one?

The anchor pictured at the to of this thread has proven to have the best holding potential of any I have tried. I was hoping to buy more of that type anchor but have come to the conclusion that I most likely will have to make them myself.
This isn’t ag country up here. Heck, I have never even seen that type of mower, much less a combine, up here. So that leaves me with no local source.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 03:55 PM

HayDay I had read about these years ago , they are a cheap way to make an anchor for soft ground ( sand ) . You can drill a hole and put a j hook in the center , like a pogo anchor . You could also drill two holes and run your cable directly to it .

Thought just came to me that you could weld a stack of them together and make a pretty good Damascus blade. Sorry been watching forged in fire , lol .

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 04:09 PM

Geez.....I feel Jed Clampett.......I just struck oil!

Can you produce a photo or sketch of the whole thing with rough dimensions?

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 04:09 PM

I found a older thread about this type of anchor.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6315682/Sickle_section_earth_anchors

Now if someone wants to do a bit of dealing on a few old sickle sections...... wink
Posted By: AJE

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 04:43 PM

I would imagine they'd be tough to drive into frozen ground

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 05:00 PM

Went out to the barn to check on inventory and found a couple dozen used sections without even looking hard.

[Linked Image]

Would be available to the OP for cost of shipping. Send me a PM with address.

I think I could find 5X that many on an old broken combine sickle across the road. Easy to harvest........even if still attached with rivets. Place section itself in heavy vice.....close jaws so the bar is resting on vice jaws.......then whack the back of the section directly over a rivet....will shear the rivet right off. Do the same to the other rivet and you are done. Could harvest about 100 of them as fast as you could go. Once the head is broken off the sickle bar, the whole thing is toast.....a dangerous piece of scrap metal to leave laying around.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 05:17 PM

All anchors are but I bet these would have a better chance of getting through than the mild steel ones we buy today.I don't know of any anchors that are heat treated and tempered.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/29/19 10:25 PM

There you go, mike, you have found your source of these products smile

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/30/19 01:06 AM

Mike I spoke with a friend of mine who probably has a bunch also how many do you want ? A flat rate box worth ha ha with extra tape holding it all together just in case pay the postage from Montana shouldn't be too bad ?
Allan

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/30/19 02:31 AM

Thanks you guys, you rock!

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/30/19 02:50 AM

This site is the best, yes mike.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/31/19 12:42 AM

You might want to check the price difference in the sickle sections verse a actual earth anchor if you are going out to purchase them.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/31/19 12:48 AM

To me it seems like earth anchors would be easier & work just as well, but I haven't tried the sickles.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 12/31/19 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by AJE
To me it seems like earth anchors would be easier & work just as well, but I haven't tried the sickles.

I have tried several commercially available earth anchors and they do not have the surface area that the sickles do. The ground I am using them in is very granular, think silica sand, and displaces easily.
I think part of the reason they work so well is they are very narrow and do not displace as much material when driven to depth. Then when you yard up on them the greater surface area provides the resistance I need in this not so tight ground.

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 01/04/20 05:45 PM

Okay, per Haydays request here is how I put these anchors together.

[Linked Image]

I took a crunchproof rivet and straightened it somewhat. It needed to fit into the 7/32” hole I drilled.

[Linked Image]

I threaded the rivet through and then a single link onto that. Smash that shut. I prefer a link at my cable to hardware/chain point.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The driver was sent to me by Golf ball.
Pretty self explanatory on grinding profiles to achieve figment to anchor. It was necessary to grind a bit of burr and rust from both sides of the section to get it to seat consistently in the slot of the driver.

I will make another driver head from a grade 8 bolt and it should be simple work with a cutoff skinny disk and grinder. That bolt will then be welded to my driver.

Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 01/04/20 06:05 PM

How wide are those plates? Couple inches, each way?

Re: Anchor ID Please... - 01/04/20 06:08 PM

Barry, 3”x3 1/4”.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums