Home

Missing deer

Posted By: Swift Arrow

Missing deer - 01/10/20 10:02 PM

I’ve got a bait station set up on a frozen beaver pond. It’s been out for about three weeks, it had three road kill deer and a porcupine. It’s snowed a bit and the temps have finally drop into the negatives. I went to check it out today to see if it’s time to hit it with snares. All the deer are gone! There are no bones just hair and tons of coyote crap. These deer were whole deer not Just pieces.
Any one ever had the yoties drag multiple deer off from a station? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Davidl

Re: Missing deer - 01/10/20 10:41 PM

I had a road killed deer disappear. It was a small buck fawn but it still was in a thick area that would have made it hard to drag away. When I checked my trail camera that was on a field catching coyotes coming to it, there it was a coyote dragging it away. There was a deep ditch to the east of the field so I knew that it couldn't drag it across the ditch. And deep canary grass in the direction that it was being dragged. I searched the area making circles looking for the carcass and never came up with it. I for the life of me have no clue where it was dragged to.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Missing deer - 01/10/20 10:46 PM

They may have eaten them. It is amazing how fast a whole deer can disappear. Other animals then carried off the scraps would be my guess.

Brian
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Missing deer - 01/10/20 10:58 PM

A whole deer last about two days here, once picked clean coyotes tend to drag the skeleton off 50-100 yards.

Re: Missing deer - 01/10/20 11:04 PM

I lived in Utah about 60 miles off the Colorado border for 13 years. I’ve ran lots of bait stations and never had them just disappear. There’s no fur or bone for a 200 yard radius. Going to put three more out tonight and snare up the whole area👍
Posted By: AJE

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 12:15 AM

I suppose u could tie them down with rebar wire. Though I guess that isn't practical on ice.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 02:12 AM

I have trail camera pictures of five coyotes consuming around a 40-50 lb beaver in one night. Nothing left. I had it wired to a tree. I've seen them clean up a pile of deer fast here when times get hard.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 05:42 AM

I wonder if tying a beaver (or deer parts) in a tree a little out of reach of coyotes, to allow it to work better for bringing in bobcats, might be a wise idea for cat trappers.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 05:47 AM

No hair, no nuthin'?

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 06:16 AM

Nothing !!!!!
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 11:20 AM

Lots and f hunters around here have left a deer in the woods planning on returning in the morning to drag it out only to find nothing but maybe some hair or just a picked clean spine and in a day or so even that is gone

Amazing how fast they can disappear and just how much meat a yote can gorge on then stagger of to sleep somewhere

Have seen them looking like the had a full watermelon in their belly afterwards
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 12:56 PM

I believe a couple of coyotes could have cleaned them up in a week. Here when wolves kill a deer it is gone that same day.
Posted By: NvHermit

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 01:17 PM

A couple coyotes, 4-5 eagles, a dozen crows and a flock of magpies will strip a lion killed deer in a day or two around here. After a week there's hardly a trace
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 01:20 PM

They were eaten.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 01:45 PM

Do you have mountain lions in your area?

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 02:30 PM

No lions, wolves or bear.

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 02:36 PM

We don’t have a lot of birds in this part of the country, if you look at the pic posted there is latterly no bird sign at all. We do have lots of eagles. I have about 12 other bait stations out being hit, they are destroyed with parts everywhere. I have yet to see a magpie, only a few small birds every once in awhile.
Posted By: NvHermit

Re: Missing deer - 01/11/20 02:52 PM

A fresh kill around here and all the meat eating birds show up. I look for birds every time I'm out hoping to find a fresh kill and lion tracks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums