Home

Coon Weight

Posted By: Short Track

Coon Weight - 01/13/20 02:03 PM

My biggest coon was 26 lbs this season. That is a monster for us. Average is 15-20 around here.
What do your coons weigh ?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Coon Weight - 01/13/20 02:25 PM

12-15 avg this part of Ohio. Some of the ridge runners or dumpster divers can get on the upper teens and occasionally in the 20s.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Coon Weight - 01/13/20 02:36 PM

I weighed all but 1 of my coon this year. Most came in between the 12 and 15 lb. mark. Had a couple that were bigger.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Coon Weight - 01/13/20 09:24 PM

My biggest was 54 pounds
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Coon Weight - 01/13/20 10:24 PM

54 pounder??? Surely you have pictures

Re: Coon Weight - 01/13/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by clintp1971
54 pounder??? Surely you have pictures

Wished I did.Back when I was a teenager coon hunting with coonhounds.They get big up here.Big fat butterballs as they hibernate all winter.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Coon Weight - 01/13/20 10:52 PM

These two coons were caught back in the late 1990s but not the same year. Both were females and both weighed 37 lbs. They were both extremely fat and thus only stretched out to say 39 inches on the larger boards. I have not caught a male over 34 lbs. but quit weighing them about 12 years ago. I have had males in that 30 lbs. range reach 42 inches or better on the larger boards. Males with their larger heads and shoulders just stretch much longer than females do. Every year I catch a coon or two that stretch over 40 inches and based on history I know none of them weighed 30 lbs. or if so just over a bit. I don't get paid by the pound anyway so length is more important to me then weight.

Bryce

Re: Coon Weight - 01/13/20 10:58 PM

Maine.gov
Adult raccoons weigh 15 to 40 pounds, their weight being a result of genetics, age, available food and habitat location. Males have weighed in at over 60 pounds.
ImageMaine.gov › php › raccoon-vtPDF
Raccoon - Maine.gov
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 12:32 AM

We get them pretty big around here also. Never did weigh any. Caught a monster boar other day and haven't turned him in yet. What do u guys use to weigh?
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 12:33 AM

We get them pretty big around here also. Never did weigh any. Caught a monster boar other day and haven't turned him in yet. What do u guys use to weigh?
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 01:08 AM

[Linked Image]

This one weighed in at 28#. I weighed him using the bathroom scale - first me holding him and then without subtract and get the total.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 01:26 AM

Caught one when I was a kid that weighed 29lbs - never seen any that big since. My uncle had him weighed at a meat packer's place.
Most of mine weigh in from 8 to 15lbs on my "el-cheapo" scale.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 01:53 AM

Most of our bigger males run 18 to 20. Biggest I've ever caught here was 29.
Jim
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 02:26 AM

I’ve caught 2 @ 26# in almost 50 years , only seen one bigger around here. My old fur buyer had bought one from a guy that killed him in a grain elevator, said it was the biggest he had ever seen @ 32# .
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 12:58 PM

largest this year was 29# smallest was 21# only caught 9 but also didn't target coon real heavy just caught in coyote sets. only 1 female and she was the 21#er.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 01:30 PM

Next season I'm going to weigh the coon just for ships and giggles ,to see what they average size wise. I weighed some coyotes later into the season to see how they average weight wise. So far females about 27 1/2 and males 37 pounds. [Linked Image]
Caught this coon last week ,Grandson had a hard time handling it , should have weighed it ! Stretched to over 5x on the board !
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by coyote addict
Next season I'm going to weigh the coon just for ships and giggles ,to see what they average size wise. I weighed some coyotes later into the season to see how they average weight wise. So far females about 27 1/2 and males 37 pounds. [Linked Image]
Caught this coon last week ,Grandson had a hard time handling it , should have weighed it !

Holy Poo Wads Batman - that thing looks "dangerous"... LOL!!
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Coon Weight - 01/14/20 11:25 PM

Coyote addict , that is a toad!!! Congrats
Posted By: Szwemi01

Re: Coon Weight - 01/15/20 07:27 PM

I have caught several over 30# here too with my biggest being 35#. I know there are bigger out there. Last year I caught 12 over 28# in December. NAFA still has those haha.
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Coon Weight - 01/16/20 01:44 PM

Holy Poo Wads Batman - that thing looks "dangerous"... LOL!![/quote]
Originally Posted by clintp1971
Coyote addict , that is a toad!!! Congrats

I don" know what he weighed but he filled out the board 5x
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Coon Weight - 01/16/20 07:51 PM

It take a huge coon to weigh 30+lbs. There have been some documented 40+ coons in Mn. but you'll have to have pictures and notarized statements from official scales for me to buy a 50# wild coon story.
Posted By: Gcgtrapper

Re: Coon Weight - 01/17/20 12:55 AM

[Linked Image]
Average is about 13 to 15, have got quite a few at or just above 20, biggest ever was 27.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Coon Weight - 01/17/20 02:04 AM

How we measure a big coons, put them headfirst into a 5 gallon pail and if the hind legs and tail are above the top lip of the pail then it's a big coon.
Posted By: cutmjack

Re: Coon Weight - 01/17/20 01:34 PM

My biggest was caught near a golf course with adjacent landfill. Living the high life and weighed 30 pounds, 3 ounces and went 6X and eventual Top Lot back when coons were worth good money. Caught him in a Grizz Getr and when I walked up he laid on his back and just spread out he was so fat.
Big coon in my neck of the woods is over 20 pounds. Lots in the mid-teens. Biggest this year was 28.5 pounds which is second-biggest ever.
I consider 25 pounds plus a Boone and Crockett-sized coon! Probably caught 12-15 of those over the years.
Posted By: Jay McDowell

Re: Coon Weight - 01/27/24 04:16 PM

How much does a XL coon pelt weigh after it's been fleshed and dried?
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Coon Weight - 01/27/24 05:42 PM

I’ve caught 87 or 88 coon so far this year and have never seen so many over 20# . I’ve weighed 5 that went between 23 and 24# , usually only a few over 20# .
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Coon Weight - 01/28/24 04:36 AM

Late season racoon in these parts it's not uncommon to see 30-35 lb. boars. but have heard of some larger.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Coon Weight - 01/28/24 12:24 PM

Me- 23 lb. son- 24 lb. Not many like that around here.

Never got one over 36"-
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Coon Weight - 01/28/24 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
I’ve caught 87 or 88 coon so far this year and have never seen so many over 20# . I’ve weighed 5 that went between 23 and 24# , usually only a few over 20# .

This year has been a ton of 20 plus coons I believe distemper has worked over the little ones but I could be wrong
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Coon Weight - 01/28/24 02:40 PM

I have caught some big coin but never weighed any of them. Usually caught late in the fall some with snow on the ground.
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: Coon Weight - 01/28/24 03:09 PM

One of the biggest I can remember was in a dirthole set out in a cornfield big boar weighed 28lbs ...I did catch a really big one a few years ago big sow she had big patch missing out of her back so I let her go ran right down a groundhog hole off the field edge probably why it was rubbed...but I seem to catch my biggest coon out in the fields away from the creeks
Posted By: RegularJoe

Re: Coon Weight - 01/30/24 11:18 AM

I think guys tell more coon stories than fish stories. I weigh every coon on a digital scale and it takes a monster coon to get past 25 lbs. Some may have more fat stored for winter, who knows. I watched a YouTube video of a guy claiming the coon he was skinning weighed 28 pounds, it honestly looked like a 20 pounder to me, short body with nothing striking about it's size visually. I don't care, I don't think many live to a ripe old age even with low fur value, I still like reducing the population.
Posted By: Brooktrout906

Re: Coon Weight - 02/01/24 04:23 AM

I've only weighed 1 coon because it was so much bigger than any other. 31#. It also had the best coat I'd ever seen around here. My buyer swore to himself when he saw it. Kinda of a shame knowing I've already caught the best coon I'll ever take
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Coon Weight - 02/01/24 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gcgtrapper
[Linked Image]
Average is about 13 to 15, have got quite a few at or just above 20, biggest ever was 27.

I see that same pose with fisherman a lot !
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Coon Weight - 02/01/24 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RegularJoe
I think guys tell more coon stories than fish stories. I weigh every coon on a digital scale and it takes a monster coon to get past 25 lbs. Some may have more fat stored for winter, who knows. I watched a YouTube video of a guy claiming the coon he was skinning weighed 28 pounds, it honestly looked like a 20 pounder to me, short body with nothing striking about it's size visually. I don't care, I don't think many live to a ripe old age even with low fur value, I still like reducing the population.

I agree 100 %

When a man tells an unbelievable tail , like we all read earlier without a photo or any documentation is then becomes a BS story and people will question you from then on.
Photos, too are often altered to make things appear distorted.
Hold an object out toward the camera and it makes it appear much larger than it actually is.
Fishermen do it all the time. It's the oldest trick in the book !
People do with animals, either by hanging them up and standing back behind them or holding them toward the camera.
Kneel down behind a grizzly, an elk or even a deer, with the head toward the camera and SUDDENLY that animal is nearly twice the size !
Optical illusion !
Magician's trick !
These people are blowhards
Real outdoors men will quickly see through it
Posted By: KYBOY

Re: Coon Weight - 02/01/24 11:41 PM

here in my part of kentucky(eastern, mountains) big coons are 15-20 pounds. not a lot of agriculture for them to feast upon. Now when I was younger I use trap coon for family who raises game birds in lower Michigan, corn country... Between eggs and corn it seemed like every coon I caught was huge.. around 20 pounds.. I think my biggest was around 30 pounds, maybe a bit over.. Big sloppy,fat boar who had been raiding pheasant eggs for a long time.. Now just coon caught in the wild,away from the game pens around 20 pounds is my biggest..
Posted By: Wife

Re: Coon Weight - 02/02/24 06:44 PM

[Linked Image] I'll dig up another picture of this one. On a certified scale he weighed in at 36.1 lbs. The others next to him weigh 17 and 18 lbs. I caught him 1/2 mile from a small Northern Nebraska town about 10 years ago and I assume he was a "cat pan coon" like I call all critters that eat out of some gal's pan they put out for their felines. Nice bellies on these, harvested the day after Thanksgiving. I got a stubtail, ear chewed male this year that had 3 feet, close (1/2 mile) from guy's house that coyote trapped 2 years ago that was in the 25 lb range. I caught 2 others in MN, south of Brainerd when I lived there in '82 and I weighed the smaller of those at 29 lbs. Did not weigh the larger but he was as big as this one. I sold some big ones for 5.00/carcass this month but I had to look for a buyer. With the lack of illegal spotlighters here the last 2-3 years, I suspect I can get some close to this weight if I go hard for them but at my age I am reluctant to kill some and sort for a trophy........................... the mike
Posted By: Wife

Re: Coon Weight - 02/02/24 06:49 PM

[Linked Image] Here's a guy holding that coon for MRS. mike when I still could claim I was a trapper/hunter. Now I am just slow and old with memories (I think) LOL. ............the mike......... P.S. somewhere I have a picture of 3 coons I got in 1 day about 6 - 7 years ago here that weighed 26-28 lbs and I will try to find that one
Posted By: Peskyvarments

Re: Coon Weight - 02/05/24 02:39 AM

Caught several thousand here around kc one 30 and one 29 the 29 was just long and tall with very little fat.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: Coon Weight - 02/06/24 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by LT GREY
Originally Posted by RegularJoe

I agree 100 %

When a man tells an unbelievable tail , like we all read earlier without a photo or any documentation is then becomes a BS story and people will question you from then on.
Photos, too are often altered to make things appear distorted.
Hold an object out toward the camera and it makes it appear much larger than it actually is.
Fishermen do it all the time. It's the oldest trick in the book !
People do with animals, either by hanging them up and standing back behind them or holding them toward the camera.
Kneel down behind a grizzly, an elk or even a deer, with the head toward the camera and SUDDENLY that animal is nearly twice the size !
Optical illusion !
Magician's trick !
These people are blowhards
Real outdoors men will quickly see through it

[Linked Image]
Put any critter on the back of a tracker and it will look big smile
Posted By: Crappiekiller

Re: Coon Weight - 02/06/24 03:52 AM

I had a coon this year that would barely fit in a 5 gallon bucket. I wish I had weighed it.

He had been eating underneath the neighbors corn feeder.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Coon Weight - 02/06/24 04:05 AM

We had our winter meeting a few weeks ago and always have a largest raccoon contest. Mine was 30 lbs and took 4th while 1 st was 34 lbs.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Coon Weight - 03/02/24 09:11 PM

My biggest coon came in 1980 in a fox set.

That coon weighed #32 lbs & stretched 44" & 6XL, I think

Sent him up to Winnipeg, Manitoba to the Dominion/Soudak Auction
where he sold for $88.00 which, to date, is the most
I ever got paid for coon, before or since.

walleyed

Posted By: Teacher

Re: Coon Weight - 03/03/24 10:05 PM

20Scout. We also weighed in at the annual meeting and came in 3rd or 4th with a 32 pounder, about 10 years ago. The biggest was 34 pounds. But even at 32 pounds, it looked like a small bear
© 2024 Trapperman Forums