Home

Coyote pooping near sets ?

Posted By: kyron4

Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 08:05 AM

Caught a nice male in a urine post set and he tore it up good so I moved the remake about 3' over. Over the next few weeks I had a fox and a coyote/coyotes poop in or around the old catch circle and track all around the new set, but completely ignored the urine post. Any thoughts ? -thanks
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 09:59 AM

Put more sets in that area.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 10:54 AM

Did you use the same trap in the remake? It smells like coyote and the new dirt doesn't.

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Did you use the same trap in the remake? It smells like coyote and the new dirt doesn't.

Yes, same trap bedded in new waxed dirt . So that kept them away ?
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 11:50 AM

Right before new years day and a forecasted 2" of rain was coming, I went out and snapped all my traps, then a couple days later went out and pulled all of them. Coon were starting to rub and I was pretty much done coyote and coon trapping by then anyway.
Here is pic of a little present one of the area coyote jokesters left for me next to my closed bridger 3. Insult to injury, right?
But also with all the corn stubble the trap was probably the most prominent object there and the set was a remake from previous coyote catch so already smelled like a coyote. I do love remakes.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by kyron4

Yes, same trap bedded in new waxed dirt . So that kept them away ?

It's possible.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 12:41 PM

I always reset in the catch circle and use beaver castor. Add a new set nearby if i think i need it.
I've caught 5 coyotes in the same remake before.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 01:55 PM

Good chance you would have caught that coyote jab.

Kyron , move that trap back to the original catch circle and use one of those turds as blocking with a different but mild bait or lure. I’ve never found a good reason to abandon a catch circle. You may at some point get a circle shy coyote , then add a new set on the side that coyote seems to go around.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
I always reset in the catch circle and use beaver castor. Add a new set nearby if i think i need it.
I've caught 5 coyotes in the same remake before.

Are you using fresh castor?
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/17/20 10:24 PM

Catch circles are good attractors. Not all members of a species fear them. I prefer setting in edge of circle with same trap then making a new set just far enough away that trapped animals cannot reach each other.
Posted By: Neiltraps4fun

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/18/20 01:20 AM

I’d take some of the duff from the original catch circle and use at the new set 3 feet away, that way it’s just not the trap that smells like the original catch. I did that and next day caught another coyote and moved again about 3 feet and caught a coon.

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/18/20 04:53 AM

Good stuff, will try this next time.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/18/20 05:38 AM

Also, don't be afraid to put the turds down in the dirthole, make they look for it.
Posted By: Backbreaker

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/18/20 02:21 PM

X2
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote pooping near sets ? - 01/18/20 03:23 PM

Golf ball I knew I would have caught it but I was done and pulling.
Just made me.laugh when I walked up to that one...what a jokester.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums