Home

Delaware Foxes

Posted By: roughneck3

Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 12:29 AM

New to the forum and new to trapping too. Been calling/shooting fox for the past couple of years and decided I wanted to try something new this year, so I got my trapping license and been reading and watching videos on the how to's. I ordered 6 Bridger #1.5, some bait and lure and made my first sets a week and half ago. As of today those 6 sets have produced 4 Gray & 5 Reds, all on about a 10 acre piece of a local farm. We are overrun with fox in this area, and I believe its one of the main reason the Quail population here is gone, and rabbits aren't far from it. Been taking along my 9 year old son and teaching him as I learn too, needless to say he's hooked.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 12:36 AM

For your 1st year your killing it.. It cool to see your son out there too. Keep it up.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 12:49 AM

Heck for the number of days and number of traps it seems like your killing it even if it's your 10th year. Way to go guys!
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 01:19 AM

Good job getting your son involved. He will remember those father/son times when he is older and has a family of his own.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 01:26 AM

Great intro and post! Great pics too! Keep on catching and posting. Can’t wait to see your sons catches too! Congrats!

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 01:31 AM

Thanks everyone, definitely been a good start. I'm expecting it to slow up anytime on this particular farm and then I have a couple others I'll be trying.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 01:44 AM

I always figured if I took my boys hunting and trapping when they are young they will take me when I'm old. Lol
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 02:25 AM

Enjoy it while it lasts. When I grew up in Ohio we had tons of fox, from what I hear now they are pretty hard to find.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 02:55 AM

They're not that hard to find, just can't find NUMBERS of them. Just turned one loose today out of a beaver snare.

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bison88
Enjoy it while it lasts. When I grew up in Ohio we had tons of fox, from what I hear now they are pretty hard to find.

Foxes have no natural predators here, coyotes are just starting to show up in this part of Delaware, and no one bothers to trap anymore with the way the fur market has been. Thirty years ago we had plenty quail and rabbits, but I haven't seen or heard a quail in twenty years, and rabbits are starting to be scarce too. I believe the abundant fox population has a lot to do with both.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 03:09 AM

Welcome and nice looking fox and pictures.
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 03:12 AM

Nice pics.Are you using mostly dirt holes?

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by forestman3
Nice pics.Are you using mostly dirt holes?

Yes, all have been dirt holes. Using Hawbaker's Fox & Coyote Bait along with Habaker's Red & Grey #200 lure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: forestman3

Re: Delaware Foxes - 01/23/20 08:46 PM

This time of year urine post work really good for fox also.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums