Home

Red coyote

Posted By: plainstrapping25

Red coyote - 01/23/20 03:40 PM

I caught a big male yesterday and right away noticed it had a different shade in it. Almost a red color to it. I compared to some of my other ones and looked quit a bit different. I'm don't know much on the fur aspect of things. Just sell them on the carcass. But is this common? I k ow time of year matters, but does age play a role as well?
Posted By: shortliner16

Re: Red coyote - 01/23/20 03:43 PM

Depends on the area, I have caught two in the last two years. They aren't worth anything especially on the carcass. I would skin it and tan it for yourself.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Red coyote - 01/23/20 05:53 PM

Taxidermy market.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Red coyote - 01/23/20 06:27 PM

Alright. Thanks guys
Posted By: AJE

Re: Red coyote - 01/24/20 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
does age play a role as well?
'Not sure about age playing a role. That I have not heard.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Red coyote - 01/24/20 10:13 AM

I caught 1 ugly red this year, even had a red belly. It still brought $40.00, put up. I think it's more genetic, has little to do with age..
Posted By: MNCedar

Re: Red coyote - 01/24/20 10:20 PM

Red coyote fur is difficult to match in regards to creating a sales lot, which is why they see deductions in price.
Posted By: Linehand

Re: Red coyote - 01/24/20 10:35 PM

[Linked Image]
I am blessed with 3 to 5 a year and have been since I started trapping. This is the redest i have caught so far.

Re: Red coyote - 01/24/20 10:48 PM

[Linked Image]
Well i hope the picture shows this time, first time.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Red coyote - 01/25/20 12:25 AM

Wow! He is red!!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Red coyote - 01/25/20 01:01 AM

Wow, looks like a red fox with a coyote head. Cool looking, I would like one like that on my wall.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Red coyote - 01/25/20 01:39 AM

Been seeing this more and more every year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Red coyote - 01/25/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Linehand
[Linked Image]
Well i hope the picture shows this time, first time.

Nice

Re: Red coyote - 01/25/20 05:20 AM

I have to agree with yoteguts, they seem to be more each year. I think its in the genes around my area. I still love pulling up and seeing yellow eyes, red ,yellow, white, black fur, doesn't matter to me.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Red coyote - 01/25/20 09:55 AM

I get them also, they are low grade fur, like stated can not match up and the fashion world dose not deal with them.They are worth something. There is different parts around me will have them mix in with the other color . Yes for how it looks is the genes in them.
Posted By: Joe krogman

Re: Red coyote - 01/25/20 08:09 PM

Caught 3 of those this year, not much fur value.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Red coyote - 01/26/20 12:19 AM

There's a few around here,within 7 miles I know of two different trapper have trapped about 8 to 10 in the last 4 years,i told them keep killing them so they don't show up around here.Wishful thinking it's a matter of time before I get one,if it's nice enough i'll tan it.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Red coyote - 01/26/20 12:26 AM

That’s what I do with my off colors Rick. Catch those real dark pepper colored ones as well. Fur buyer didn’t like them either. Usually tan and give to my landowners when they want one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Red coyote - 01/27/20 09:10 PM

Caught a very large male this year. Awesome fur. He went on the wall.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums