Home

Long spring side or centered swivel

Posted By: plainstrapping25

Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/14/20 06:57 PM

What's a good preference with swivels on long springs? I obviously prefer center swivel when land trapping. But water I prefer side on drowners. The reason I ask is because I'm shopping for more mink and coon traps and really started taking a like to long springs. Had some interest in sleep creek 11s. Than noticed they are center swiveled.
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/14/20 07:57 PM

I have a sleepy creek and its a very nice trap can't say about the drowner but it's a very strong trap
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/14/20 10:12 PM

Put a single chain loop on each side of a swivel. Use tie wire to fasten a spring end to the swivel and the swivel to the lock. If you use a swivel as a drown lock you will have plenty of swivel with it wired to the swivel chain combo. That way you can use the center swiveled base plate to stake it down or hook up a drag and still get that reach of the spring when hooking to a drowner.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/15/20 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Put a single chain loop on each side of a swivel. Use tie wire to fasten a spring end to the swivel and the swivel to the lock. If you use a swivel as a drown lock you will have plenty of swivel with it wired to the swivel chain combo. That way you can use the center swiveled base plate to stake it down or hook up a drag and still get that reach of the spring when hooking to a drowner.

Do you have a picture of this? I'm having a hard time picturing what you are saying.

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/15/20 02:53 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/15/20 03:40 AM

Ya. I could just add a quick link or wire like that too. I heard they are stellar traps.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/15/20 05:27 AM

Thank you, Mr. Clifton. I wasn't thinking of two separate anchor points.
Pictures speak a thousand words......
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/15/20 11:51 AM

Danny I just use the center mount but add a swivel right above that double stake swivel in the pic, but only attach the swivel to the chain with one j hook so that the other end of the swivel is just a hole and that becomes.my drowned lock. I do this on my 3 and 4 longs so that I can use the double stake swivel for land and cross staking that way, but for beaver I use the other swivel with the hole for drowner wire. All of mine are center chain mounted.
The post is asking about 11s and all of mine are also center mounted but I did that some came with spring Clovis mounts and I didnt like that setup for coon so went to center mounted chains. Old vic's and blake and lambs mostly. My 11s do not have double stake swivels just a single open swivel on end that I can either stake or use as drowner lock.
Jim
Posted By: nightstalker1

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/15/20 12:59 PM

Many choose a baseplate with an offset D ring

When setting over your leg / knee......much more comfortable

especially on the larger sizes like the Bridger #5 traps pictured below

[Linked Image]

Re: Long spring side or centered swivel - 02/15/20 01:38 PM

Jab I dont have a problem with using that center swiveled chain to attach to the drowner lock most of the time, but if your in shallow water attaching it to the spring holds the trap a few inchs deeper and still leaves room for easy bedding away from the cable. That one needs a swivel added in to the chain by a single rivet. Not as a drowner lock but an attachment point for a drag chain. Its supposed to have one. I just pulled it of the box and didn't notice it was missing till you pointed it out. Don't remember why its not there. I like those traps for cat sets in rim rock where you cant really dig a bed.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums