Home

Cast 3N jaws bending?

Posted By: kytrapper

Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 02:37 AM

I haven’t seen a cast jaw 3N with bent or warped jaws until today. Is this something that happen sometimes with a large canine? One side near spring the jaws are touching and the other an increased gap.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 03:57 AM

I'm interested in this too,I bought a bunch some years ago and some of them had this problem.I know nothing of steel or cast,but I was told it had to do with the jaws flexing over time(?)
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 04:37 AM

This is a good thread.. I have a couple of dozen I have been using for cat sets. I was thinking of setting them up with drags for coyotes next year. My coyotes don't run to big. A really big male will be 45 pounds or so.
Love my 3n's for exposed cat sets.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 05:09 AM

Believe they were malleable cast jaws(little flex in the steel)
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 07:18 AM

I’ve handled dozens (maybe hundreds) of 3N traps over the years. Any number of them have had jaws that are warped. Mostly warped inward. Some times warped to the point that they are no longer offset. On rare occasion, I would have a trap that was warped too wide.

I have no idea what causes the warping but it appears to be fairly common based on my experience. The warping appears to be natural, not done by a trapper. So can only assume it has to do with the metal in the jaws. Why it happens on some traps and not others, I have no idea. I also don’t know if it is possible to reverse the warp back to normal or not.
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 01:53 PM

I don't know about the warping as I've never even held a 3n but I think we all would like to know if they would still be usable.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 02:51 PM

Like WissMiss said, mostly bent inward. Mostlikey from being thrown into a tool bin or something. I still use mine, one of the best traps out there.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 04:29 PM

Blak Spot I believe a lot of the inward warping is from dry firing. While I like the trap and what it was designed for ...I find them too "fragile" to deal with...jaw tips breaking is just another complaint. Would rather use a Victor/Blake/Bridger with reg. offset jaw. That's just my take...
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 05:26 PM

I’ve kind of wondered about cast/malleable jaws. I’ll assume they’re the same. Anyway, if they’re so darned fragile, how do the jaw tips on say an MB550 or the new Duke 550 keep from breaking after a catch or two?

My sense is that the malleable jaws might not be as hard as the advertising makes them out to be. Surprise, Surprise. But, I’ve never had an MB550 jaw tip break and I really enjoy using them. Will stay with them for future purchases. I’ve learned, however, that advertising can be like statistics in that depending on the “twist”, you can get them to mean anything.
Posted By: garart

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/28/20 09:05 PM

MChewk I believe is correct on inward bending of jaws from dry fireing, unless someone tried to pound the offset closed, which I highly doubt. The outward bending of the jaws I have never seen on 3n's , but suspect they where fired off repeatedly with a stout stick or other hard object that caused them to bow out.
The jaws on 3n's are cast malleable iron that have the ability to flex somewhat which gives them very good holding power coupled with the longspring design.
As to "Teachers" comment MB's(550) are cast steel not IRON! Cast steel is much more stronger and rigid than cast malleable iron.
On another note, if anyone is disappointed with their 3n's, I would be happy to take them off your hands; cheap of course since they aren't the best trap out there. Gary

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/29/20 01:56 AM

That dry firing makes sense. Never had a jaw tip break on a 3N
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/29/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Blak Spot I believe a lot of the inward warping is from dry firing. While I like the trap and what it was designed for ...I find them too "fragile" to deal with...jaw tips breaking is just another complaint. Would rather use a Victor/Blake/Bridger with reg. offset jaw. That's just my take...

X2 Spot on IMO.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/29/20 03:53 AM

I have had wolverine and bears bend V-14 cast jaws.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 02/29/20 12:09 PM

This one wasn’t dry fired when it happened. I bought a couple dozen of these out of Wyoming a few years back and they were a little weak. I inserted cut off 1.5 longsprings with the eyes cut off and riveted them in. Added PIT pans too. They have been very good traps for me holding whatever they caught. I wonder if this souped up mod may have contributed to this. Had a pm asking about any stamping on the inside of the jaws. I’m going to get that for him and see if that’s a matter.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/01/20 06:30 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/01/20 06:49 PM

I don't think that's from being dry-fired. Looks more like it had some sort of impact, or was run over.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/01/20 07:04 PM

Wow!Mine don't look that bad

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/01/20 07:05 PM

Twern’t run over it was down in thick stuff on a shoulder break on a hillside for cats.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/02/20 12:09 AM

I have no experience with 3Ns but I would guess that the added spring strength caused it. When did you modify them?

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/02/20 12:18 AM

Been using for five years or so. No problems. Now, can that jaw be bent back and stay there? I doubt it. Don’t know how to replace it either. Must be a trick to it with those jaw tips.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/02/20 02:05 AM

Cut the base and base plate back together with new jaws and springs is one way.
I think I'd heat and hammer on that first though, if it straightens and stays straight, good enough and if it breaks or doesn't stay straight you still have the option to cut and scab.
That damage sure looks like a impact during transport. Dry firing damage will be relatively uniform and gradual, as will damage caused by firing on a stake.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/02/20 02:08 AM

Set it and snap it with a 1/4" board

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/02/20 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by canebrake
I have no experience with 3Ns but I would guess that the added spring strength caused it. When did you modify them?

Spring strength has nothing to do with it This phenomena seems to happen especially with the older models.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/03/20 11:46 PM

Those look so badly damaged,that if the jaw isn't cracked,it probably will if straightened.I think you have the nothing to lose by trying.I straighten jaws by puttingA piece of steel,screwdriver etc. In the jaws where they are pinched in.Then use a vice to squeeze in the jaws on either side of the screwdriver until the jaws are parallel.It may take a couple tries to get it right.

Mild steel jaws are easily straightened this way.Cast steel jaws can be straightened if they aren't badly out of wack.This one may not make it.

I don't remember the price but Livestock Protection Company in Alpine,TX,used to,and I think,still does make replacement jaws.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/05/20 09:26 PM

Another option would be to get some regular Victor jaws and install.At least you would have a working trap.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/05/20 10:14 PM

Thanks for everyone’s input. Im going to try to fix it. If it breaks I’ll get regular jaws probably unless I can find replacement cast jaws.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/05/20 11:08 PM

Wasn't the 3N the Cadillac of coyote traps back in the day?

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/05/20 11:59 PM

Sterling Fur has regular Vic jaws and LPC should have cast jaws.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/06/20 12:13 AM

Yes. Started out in the late 1930s and early 1940s, when Newhouse traps got too expensive for government Trappers. So ATCo took 2 of the best features of a Newhouse trap - cast jaws and twist link chain - and put them on a standard #3 Victor base. There was also a 4N, though not as widely produced as the 3N.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/06/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by wissmiss

Yes. Started out in the late 1930s and early 1940s, when Newhouse traps got too expensive for government Trappers. So ATCo took 2 of the best features of a Newhouse trap - cast jaws and twist link chain - and put them on a standard #3 Victor base. There was also a 4N, though not as widely produced as the 3N.

Interesting.

I remember Mr. Gary Jepson saying the 3N was one of his favorite traps in his coyote video.

Re: Cast 3N jaws bending? - 03/06/20 01:14 AM

Still is
© 2024 Trapperman Forums