Home

Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations

Posted By: andrews1958

Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/28/20 11:13 PM

There are a number of different brands and sizes. Oscar seem to be the most popular along with Shappel.

Which one do you like for trapping and hunting on both bare ground, marsh and snow.

What size would you recommend? Pro and cons on sizes and make?

Looking for one that would pull easily and still carry my gear for short distances but not to big that it is awkward.

The one I am looking at buying.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...-sled-1-with-sled-travel-cover?a=2070586

Some other examples:

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Game-Carts-Carriers/104353380.uts
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 02:35 AM

Make sure it can fit into you vechicle. And with some extra edge room so you don't knock your knuckles when putting in or out.
Bottom runners are needed of pulling over rocks, or you only get 500 miles out of it till it scratches out.

Watch your achillies heel with the dragging.
Posted By: general

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 03:09 AM

I bought a mortar mixing tub at tractor supply. It's a good size and heavy duty. I've used it for 4 years now. It pulls nice and I haul my traps and gear in and out and pull my beaver out in it. It is cheaper than the sleds and just as sturdy. It also had hole in the rim for my tow rope.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 03:45 AM

If you’re using it a lot while on snowshoes it helps if it isn’t wider than your track. I use a UHMW pulk a lot .
Posted By: g smith

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 04:25 AM

I made one and should have made the nose a bit narrower than the body so that it slides around some objects .
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 09:47 AM

I've used the Jet Sled and works great for beaver to firewood. The bottom started to wear and I purchased a otter sled this spring and it is a better quality sled. Put a larger size rope on the sled.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 10:58 AM

Otter Sled: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/otter-pro-ice-fishing-sled?a=1951605

Most of the outdoor guys I know have one.

BF
Posted By: k snow

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
Otter Sled: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/otter-pro-ice-fishing-sled?a=1951605

Most of the outdoor guys I know have one.

BF

I bought the smallest one they have, I don't have that much to carry at any one time. I added dowels to the pull rope, like a horse harness, to keep the sled from banging into me when going downhill or across real slick snow.

I like it, though you have to keep the center of gravity low. I even use it when setting creeks, pull it along behind me like a little skiff.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 11:22 AM

I made this sled, lightweight and has been indestructible so far...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 02:43 PM

I have an Otter sled and it has lasted for a long time. I normally just pull it by hand but have towed it behind an ATV some too. Works great for floating equipment and critters in creeks and ponds.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 03:39 PM

Andrews - I've used the snot out of my Otter sled. It's been an invaluable tool on my wolf line for hauling bait, gear and wolves. I'm on foot and haul stuff anywhere from a couple hundred yards to 1/3 mile or so in. I break out the sled once we get a skiff of snow, but it drags across bare patches just fine too.

Pros: Cheap (~$60 or so). Rugged, have used it hard with no cracking. Plenty of capacity (more than I can drag).

Cons: As said above, dragging a sled in snow gets to be a problem once the snow gets deep. Most sleds will be wider than your trail, so they tend to drop sideways into your boot tracks once the snow gets to be oh, a foot or so. It's especially noticeable if you haul stuff in all winter (e.g. - bait) on the same trail. Eventually you'll get a track broken in, but it'll tend to be somewhat crooked. Not a deal breaker, but it can be a pain since cargo will keep falling out. To fix it, I drilled holes every 6-8" or so along the lip of the sled and laced a rope thru the holes. Then get a ATV bungee cargo net to secure your load and hook it to the rope. Works great.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 06:51 PM

Great info guys. Thanks
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 08:18 PM

If you get the Shappel look into getting the wear bars for the bottom there around 25/30 dollars and will extend the life of your sled I use mine all the time around the yard during the year and for hunting and trapping and even after 2+ years of such abuse it’s still going strong
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 04/29/20 09:59 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 05/02/20 02:01 AM

Thanks to all of you for your comments
Posted By: Ole

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 05/02/20 05:57 PM

I bought a Sno Hauler for sledding out big game on snow. It is narrower and stays on my track easier. Longer than other sleds with lower sides though so maybe that is a factor to consider.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 05/06/20 02:08 PM

I bought one that looks to be the same size as the one with the wolf in it but it was only $40.00 at the local farm store. It may not be the same but it sure saved me a lot of work last winter. I used it to move hay bales . One fit perfect in it.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 05/12/20 01:33 AM

Shappell Jet Sleds are vitally important in my nuisance trapping business year round.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Hand Pulled Sled Recomendations - 05/12/20 10:51 PM

Ottersled has worked well for me.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums