Home

Bait making

Posted By: OregonBeaver

Bait making - 04/30/20 12:14 AM

So I'm taking a crack at making my own bait this year. I ground up 10 gallons of beaver and horse meat. Been tainting 2 weeks now, today I mixed in a few ounces of castor into each and stirred up with a drywall mixer. So my plan was..in another 2 weeks to start mixing in some glands..let it sit awhile longer..then lastly mix in 2 ounces of skunk essence with SB. I believe its 1 cup per gallon of SB then glycerin I cant recall. Sound like the right process to making bait from you guys that have been doing it for years or decades? Any advice or just a nod of approval would be appreciated. I mainly just try to target yotes, bobs and foxes here.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Bait making - 04/30/20 12:49 AM

I think it would be easier to monitor the aging process of the meat, get it where you want then go and preserve it before adding your ingredients. Especially when playing with some strong and expensive ingredients.

Not saying what your doing is wrong, but if its something you want to repeat if it works out for you, youll have a harder time replicating it as you wont know by smell what stage of taint your meat is in. Especially in that volume.
Posted By: TyDeege

Re: Bait making - 04/30/20 02:11 AM

Interested to hear how this turns out oregon! My first year dabbling in the lure making arena and hungry for any new processes! Keep us updated on the experience wink
Posted By: OregonBeaver

Re: Bait making - 04/30/20 02:37 AM

Yeah you're right about that. I was told to do it both ways and wasnt sure tbh. It's going to be a little bit of trial and error I'm sure.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Bait making - 04/30/20 07:09 PM

I'm no expert but this is the process I follow. I put the glands, skunk essence, castor, urine, glycerin, or any other ingredients in a separate jar and let sit for a week or two. Agitating it once a day to to keep the mixture stirred up.

For the meat base I let it taint to whatever age you like and add the S.B. In your case I would add the SB to your meat now. Then after your other ingredients have aged for a week or longer add to your meat base and mix in.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Bait making - 05/01/20 07:04 PM

Don't sound like a bad recipe. Good amount of skunk without being too over powering. Can't wait to see the catch pics this fall.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums