Home

Drowning rods

Posted By: plainstrapping25

Drowning rods - 05/09/20 07:59 PM

I got some 5 foot rebar laying around. Wondering if that be enough for coon and mink
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Drowning rods - 05/09/20 08:31 PM

I would say too short for the areas I trap. I like to have a foot in the muck and in order to get the depth you need more angle.

Mine are 10'

Brian
Posted By: 080808

Re: Drowning rods - 05/09/20 08:59 PM

Like said depends on your water. Mine are 8’.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Drowning rods - 05/10/20 10:08 PM

10' is what I use 99.9% of the time. Too long is almost always better than too short when it comes to drowning rods.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Drowning rods - 05/12/20 01:26 AM

If its steep sided and a couple feet deep they should work. I use some 4 footers for Muskrats in a few cricks around here.

Re: Drowning rods - 05/12/20 03:07 AM

I got places along creek like that too. Found some 6 to 8 footers and welded them up. Used all my 10 footers for beaver.
Posted By: Doug B.

Re: Drowning rods - 05/14/20 12:17 AM

I don't use any kind of drowning rig for mink or muskrat. I put a few feet of cable, chain or wire on s trap. When I get there the next morning they hav re drowned. I guess they start swimming and the weight of the trap keeps them down until they drown.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Drowning rods - 05/14/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Michigander
Too long is always better than too short when it comes to drowning rods.

fixed it

ya just run xtra over the edge and wire/bungy end to another sapling to secure it then t-stake the rod again at the bank edge.

Re: Drowning rods - 05/15/20 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Doug B.
I don't use any kind of drowning rig for mink or muskrat. I put a few feet of cable, chain or wire on s trap. When I get there the next morning they hav re drowned. I guess they start swimming and the weight of the trap keeps them down until they drown.

I've done that too. But I always catch alot of coon and that doesn't drown them for me. Why I'm doing the rods
© 2024 Trapperman Forums