Home

Avoiding deer in blind sets.

Posted By: Archeryguy

Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/23/20 08:25 PM

Blind sets for coyotes are my favorite go to set as they work really well, particularly for the older, wiser dogs. Problem is that deer set a lot traps off, especially during the rut. I often set under a log set across unused logging roads. I set up a camera next to a log set 24" off the ground. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Interesting how all my deer pics were during daylight and coyotes at night. Notice that one coyote carrying a deer bone I tossed out last fall.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: coyote addict

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/24/20 12:56 AM

INTERESTING. Do you set just one trap. Per location ? Pictures really show what's going on .
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/24/20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by coyote addict
INTERESTING. Do you set just one trap. Per location ? Pictures really show what's going on .

Usually one.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/24/20 01:00 PM

Find a spot on the trail that has some saplings that have some give to them and run a light wire across the trail at chest height of the deer. Set trap inside the "fence"
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/24/20 01:05 PM

For the pics it is good that the deer are going over then under the tree .
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/25/20 02:37 PM

Indeed, “walk under sets “are taught at many trapper’s in classes
And snaremen can hang snares from the leaning pole as well as gentle guiding.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/25/20 02:59 PM

It can be a little iffy for snares.Fawns and small deer will often go under.With traps, it can keep them working through most of it.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/26/20 09:40 AM

Archeryguy
Great share. Great pictures.
thanks
Mac
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/26/20 01:12 PM

After seeing this, I do believe I have got a couple of spots for this up coming season where I will try this. Thanks Archeryguy.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Avoiding deer in blind sets. - 05/28/20 06:13 PM

Notice in the photos where the deer's hooves are at when it was standing over the log. That would indicate about that only about a 10" +- section of ground straight below the leaning tree/log that would possibly be free of possible deer entrapment if using a foot hold. Snare would be good to go with most, but not all, deer.

Notice the feet of the coyote under the leaner. A blind set straight under the leaner would have a good chance of snagging the coyote and avoiding the deer.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums