Home

What's Under Your Pan?

Posted By: Larry Baer

What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 12:41 PM

Polyfil, Urethane, Poly Urethane, Insulation, wad of Grass or Geaves? Why?
Posted By: 080808

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 01:40 PM

Screen over pan. Light coating of grass over pan. Nothing under the pan . I believe it’s the “Zag Method “.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 02:05 PM

I use the blue shop towels as a cover. I never liked the idea of anything under the pans as they tend to turn into ice blocks no matter if they aren't supposed to hold water.
Posted By: KS Yote Trapper

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 02:48 PM

Hopefully nothing but maybe a little peat moss
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 04:22 PM

Screen on top. polyfil under.
Posted By: Huntall76

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 04:31 PM

Nothing but air unless it rains, then probably air and water.
Posted By: Cootswatter

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 04:35 PM

I use peat moss really just around the inside of the jaws. I don't pack it under pan just what ever falls under.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 04:39 PM

I usually use a small pinch of wool under the pan but started using some poly last year
Posted By: Taximan

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 06:04 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 07:25 PM

Taximan what kind of hammer is that? I’ve never seen such a rig
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 10:39 PM

Furnace filter. 100% freeze proof as it will never absorb water.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BURKE87

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 10:42 PM

Pipe insulation
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/27/20 11:25 PM

Archeryguy are you getting that in bulk roll or individual filters? Interesting.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 01:16 AM

Never thought about the cheap furnace filter...I cut up a bunch of insulation from my last dishwasher install...(not an appliance man!) Also got some polyfil from our upstairs couch that got destroyed. I have also used alum screen.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 01:23 AM

What happens to all that fiberglass and other non natural stuff you guys are putting under the pans of your traps after you catch something ?

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 01:28 AM

I look for mine around the catch circle, I can USUALLY find it. If not, the pieces that I DO find are minimally invasive. What's bad I pack up and haul home.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 01:28 AM

If I can find it goes in a pouch on my remake bag. Then the trash. All I leave is a catch circle at the end of the season.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 02:14 PM

Polly and a short pan notch. Or coated aluminum cover, sometimes in sand both. I use the original polly for part of the remake. Easy to find and haul off after the set gets pulled.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 03:43 PM

I'm glad that you guys try to pickup/reuse the none biodegradable items, I hate seeing garbage left by hunters and trappers.

I've not been a fan of Clint Locklear after seeing him show how he baits his dirt holes, he uses a plastic spoon gets his bait breaks it to use the other end for lure the throws the pieces into the hole. Why not use popsicles sticks they are pretty cheap and are biodegradable, just makes no sense to me that a Outdoorsmen would just leave trash everywhere they go.

I know some will be rolling their eyes at this but to me it's nature, woods, creeks, rivers, ponds , etc. Why dirty up where we love to go.

Ok start the bashing.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 03:47 PM

I normally use a stick from the immediate area...even cheaper than popsicle sticks!
Posted By: 080808

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 04:24 PM

Yeah I also use stick. Agree with Huntall. Don’t get me wrong I not a Greta fan but we need to take some responsibility.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/28/20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Huntall76
I'm glad that you guys try to pickup/reuse the none biodegradable items, I hate seeing garbage left by hunters and trappers.

I've not been a fan of Clint Locklear after seeing him show how he baits his dirt holes, he uses a plastic spoon gets his bait breaks it to use the other end for lure the throws the pieces into the hole. Why not use popsicles sticks they are pretty cheap and are biodegradable, just makes no sense to me that a Outdoorsmen would just leave trash everywhere they go.

I know some will be rolling their eyes at this but to me it's nature, woods, creeks, rivers, ponds , etc. Why dirty up where we love to go.

Ok start the bashing.

Agree, I carry a dedicated tote for trash I find, doesn't take long to fill it. I even go out after season to get what I've missed. No bashing here.. Farmers appreciate that .
Posted By: coalbank

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 03:10 AM

Have tried most everything I could think.of under the pan. Was disappointed with them all. Screen is preferred now.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 03:28 AM

I use wax paper over my pan.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 09:52 AM

Section of pipe wrap insulation. Tear off a piece just bige enough to go under the pan and dog.
Jim

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 01:12 PM

I too use screen but I have a few longsprings and am thinking something under the pan may work better for those because they have the original pans and dogs on them. I like how the pipe foam looks.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 02:12 PM

I have found that in my corner of the world, if you dig a hole during trapping season it will fill with water. I’m not bashing anyone using the furnace filters, polyfill , pipe wrap or any other such thing . What I’ve found is that around here the hole that your trap is setting in fills with water and proceeds to freeze before all the water is gone. Now the water leaves the trap bed still looks good so it gets left alone only to find out the hard way that the poly whatever you used under the pan is frozen. Maybe not solid , but enough to find a track on the pan ! I’ve tried just about everything over the years and I love Zaggers bedding method . When I can make a set out of the wind I use it with the utmost confidence. When making a set that is on the wide open prairie I’ve had screens come off and even seen them vibrate in the wind enough to be noticeable . Now before you start in that I’m not doing it right , let me say this . I’ve seen two of Zaggers demos and his video, I’ve trapped for 50 years and the last 30 for coyote almost exclusively. That being said I use an mb 650 and with both jaws locked down , I feel it’s the perfect trap for this type of bedding. Now for the cure and the answer to Larry’s question. I dig a funnel shaped hole that a 650 just fits in below the surface. I use peat in the hole , between the jaws and edge of the hole and anywhere else it will go . If you’ve ever worked with peat you know that it too will blow around so I put a 1/4 to 1/2” of waxed dirt on top of the whole thing. Add some grass clippings or field chaff depending on the situation and bam ! You’ve got a dirt set that won’t drown or blow away out here on the prairie.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Golf ball
I have found that in my corner of the world, if you dig a hole during trapping season it will fill with water. I’m not bashing anyone using the furnace filters, polyfill , pipe wrap or any other such thing . What I’ve found is that around here the hole that your trap is setting in fills with water and proceeds to freeze before all the water is gone. Now the water leaves the trap bed still looks good so it gets left alone only to find out the hard way that the poly whatever you used under the pan is frozen. Maybe not solid , but enough to find a track on the pan ! I’ve tried just about everything over the years and I love Zaggers bedding method . When I can make a set out of the wind I use it with the utmost confidence. When making a set that is on the wide open prairie I’ve had screens come off and even seen them vibrate in the wind enough to be noticeable . Now before you start in that I’m not doing it right , let me say this . I’ve seen two of Zaggers demos and his video, I’ve trapped for 50 years and the last 30 for coyote almost exclusively. That being said I use an mb 650 and with both jaws locked down , I feel it’s the perfect trap for this type of bedding. Now for the cure and the answer to Larry’s question. I dig a funnel shaped hole that a 650 just fits in below the surface. I use peat in the hole , between the jaws and edge of the hole and anywhere else it will go . If you’ve ever worked with peat you know that it too will blow around so I put a 1/4 to 1/2” of waxed dirt on top of the whole thing. Add some grass clippings or field chaff depending on the situation and bam ! You’ve got a dirt set that won’t drown or blow away out here on the prairie.

I think you could do that with screen too. Screen, a few clippings, a little dirt, and a little more grass to blend. I'd say you've got it though.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 02:48 PM

I’m not sure I understand how peat seems to repel water but I’ve had sets completely submerged for a couple days at a time and when the water receded the trap was dry. Had this not worked so well I would have went that route. I use a black sugar type sand that after being waxed will still go through a screen over time. I’ve not had my hands on steel screen or years, is it any tighter than aluminum ?

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 06:24 PM

I’m not sure I understand how peat seems to repel water but I’ve had sets completely submerged for a couple days at a time and when the water receded the trap was dry. Had this not worked so well I would have went that route. I use a black sugar type sand that after being waxed will still go through a screen over time. I’ve not had my hands on steel screen or years, is it any tighter than aluminum ?

Bone dry peat and dirt become hydrophobic. Peat doesn't hold water very well but it can still freeze if it can't bake out again.

I think o'gorman still sells steel screen.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/29/20 07:11 PM

Don’t see how the screen can blow away and vibrate if under the jaws, maybe I’m doing it wrong. Just ordered steel screen from No BS...great thin steel screen. Works just like I always imagined it would. They have 5x5 and 6x6 I believe. I should have enough to last me the rest of this Summer and all of next winter. Been lucky on a few catches and have been able to reuse it.
Posted By: Hern

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/30/20 11:04 AM

Larry, I use screen.

I learn (from CoonDuke) to pre-cut or grab on-the-go lure sticks from Golden Rods. A ready supply all season long.
Break or cut Golden Rods into lure sticks and keep with setting tools. This saves time & steps instead of looking for the right stick near set.
[Linked Image]

I like paste bait.
To apply bait deep in hole and smear around, I use a cake icing knife. I painted handle on this knife.
[Linked Image]

Knife goes in the same pocket, in bait bag
[Linked Image]

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/30/20 06:42 PM

I cut a template out of thin cardboard using a trap without the inside lamination . With aluminum screen ( all I could find around here ) I now use an inside laminated trap and put the screen over the pan but under the lamination, not under the jaw !

Thanks SniperB , once the ground starts to freeze I will start trying to force waxed dirt along the outside of the jaws next to the frozen ground.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/30/20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Lippold
Taximan what kind of hammer is that? I’ve never seen such a rig

That is called a drilling hammer-3# head.Any hammer will work but with my punch,I can twist it through several layers of fiberglass,by hand.

This pipe wrap insulation,as I said,most of the time,stays under the pan.If it comes out,catches don't shred it.Even mice,squirrels and birds don't bother it.I often reuse it but if not,take it with me.I once had one that must have gotten covered with debris.I found the next season,right by the set.Nothing touched it.No loose fibers,it looked like the day I punched it out and,I reused on that set.I remember seeing one soiled but I could clean them easily,if I wanted to.
Posted By: LDW

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/31/20 12:03 PM

I use pipe insulation also, with waxed sane over the top. The sand doesn't allow water to get under the pan. Been using this combination for the last 5 years with no problems. That being said, we don't usually get rain when I'm trapping. I have 100 percent confidence in this setup. The waxed sand is really the key ingredient.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/31/20 01:38 PM

Wow LDW I'm jealous Here we get lots of rain - freeze - thaw it seems to be the norm. Waxed dirt or sand is a must with any pan covering or underpan fill.
Posted By: red mt

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/31/20 01:57 PM

Steel screen over wax dirt or coal shale when I can get. Air under the pan
A butter knife lure and bait
To rain and snow and freezing for much else in the winter here.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/31/20 02:02 PM

It is the same here with just about no rain during trapping season.We do have frequent snows that often melt before another one comes.I avoid low spots at all costs,utilize wind sweep areas and in the timber,look for shaded areas.Beyond that,I punch drain holes in beds or dirtholes and sometimes put down a barrier between trap and bed.After snow covers the sets,I give them a couple days,then get in there,sweep it off,check the sets for function,sweep out my tracks and go.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/31/20 02:02 PM

I can show you a way to lock down steel or aluminum screen down in those 650s Golf Ball I have used steel screen on mj 600.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 05/31/20 10:07 PM

We don’t deal we freeze thaw, but when this nice Georgia red clay dries after a rain, you have cement. The polyfil under the pan works great in sand and even clay. The pan will depress but the jaws are cemented in place. Areas with any type of clay get Zaggers method. If I can find good dirt I’ll place a dirt hole set and do it the old fashion way using polyfil.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/01/20 05:02 PM

Red you’ve got my full attention, I really like Zaggers method I’ve just had to modify it to my conditions .

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/01/20 06:07 PM

Red you’ve got my full attention, I really like Zaggers method I’ve just had to modify it to my conditions .

That is a generous offer.Red knows of what he speaks.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/01/20 09:30 PM

Your never too old to learn a new thing , especially when it comes to trapping.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/02/20 01:39 PM

That's a fact.. That's the magic.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/03/20 02:02 AM

[Linked Image]

If you guys want to change just open the hole or close it to fit anything
Oh sorry that's a Harris lololololol
No such thing as a dead spot garrenttee to look better,,,, or at least as handsome as me .
Posted By: MChewk

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/03/20 02:12 PM

Red, what’s your thoughts on that big iron? Pan tension?

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/03/20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by yoteguts
Archeryguy are you getting that in bulk roll or individual filters? Interesting.

Furnace filters are cheap and I get a bunch out of everyone.

As to the post above about stuff under the pan freezing, furnace filters won't freeze because they won't absorb water. If have a piece, soak it in water, then put in your freezer for a couple of hours, then press down on it with your finger and you'll see what I mean.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/03/20 09:07 PM

Archeryguy , when the hole fills with water and the temp drops before all the water is gone , the only thing left is the ice under the pan in and amongst the filter, fiberglass, poly .....

Red that’s a good looking setup ! But it s a royal pain trying to get that type of deal to work on an mb 650 with both jaws locked down .

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/03/20 09:14 PM

I understand what you all are saying about using screen under the jaws . Once you’ve tried it with an mb 650 you will see why I’ve cut mine to fit inside the the jaws .

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/04/20 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Archeryguy
Originally Posted by yoteguts

Furnace filters are cheap and I get a bunch out of everyone.

As to the post above about stuff under the pan freezing, furnace filters won't freeze because they won't absorb water. If have a piece, soak it in water, then put in your freezer for a couple of hours, then press down on it with your finger and you'll see what I mean.

That's true if there's somewhere for the water to go. Around here if you're not in sand, it takes a long time for beds to drain out in the clay after summers over. You might as well of dug a well as it will keep filling. It was so bad last year I could watch the hole fill up after emptying before getting the trap back in. I try not to put sets in spots where that won't happen but when the spot is the spot...

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/04/20 11:42 AM

Archeryguy , when the hole fills with water and the temp drops before all the water is gone , the only thing left is the ice under the pan in and amongst the filter, fiberglass, poly .....

Red that’s a good looking setup ! But it s a royal pain trying to get that type of deal to work on an mb 650 with both jaws locked down .

True, nothing will work if the trap bed fills with water and freezes solid.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/04/20 11:21 PM

Worked pretty good for me bedding in waxed dirt. Lots of wet muddy freeze/thaw days.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/05/20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Red, what’s your thoughts on that big iron? Pan tension?

Heavy I will use these traps once snow is on the ground in places wolves and coyotes are at.
Pan tension can be got,,, to where it will not keep set with some polishing ,,, and is a true no dead spot trap.
And has 5.5 out ready to order I believe also.
I bought 12 with just a number stamped no trade mark.
I like monty pan set up used it to long to change now .
Posted By: MChewk

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/05/20 10:52 AM

Thanks, did you spot weld those j hooks...wolves?

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/05/20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Thanks, did you spot weld those j hooks...wolves?

Hmmm apparently not on that 1 lol

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/05/20 01:00 PM

If I get to skinny with the wax dirt I will get freeze up from under the pan also ,with wire screen. Imo nothing bullet proof.
But I use wire screen it's easy fast for my equipment and I use less material to cover a trap ,,,and I like nothing under a pan I sleep better.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/05/20 10:42 PM

The killer with anything is that popular low spot over the pan. With wax dirt if ya do it right the water runs off. Even then you'll have conditions that will kill ya. Ice storms for one. Thanks to Red I no longer use a low spot, in fact it seems my catch rate went up when all is level. Put the trap were there gonna naturally step and there's no need for it.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/06/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by trappergbus
The killer with anything is that popular low spot over the pan. With wax dirt if ya do it right the water runs off. Even then you'll have conditions that will kill ya. Ice storms for one. Thanks to Red I no longer use a low spot, in fact it seems my catch rate went up when all is level. Put the trap were there gonna naturally step and there's no need for it.

Weather is the great equalizer Gary

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/06/20 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
Originally Posted by trappergbus

Weather is the great equalizer Gary

Yep very true statement ..

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/08/20 12:27 PM

Here's what I did with my screen pan covers last year. Norm Mullins showed some of us this last fall at Minktoberfest. He said it is an old Idea - glad he brought it up. Just cut two slits in the wire cover and slide it on the pan. I used the screen this and sprinkle grass over the trap and it worked. Our dirt is mostly clay and as you can see this trap is bedded in other than perfect conditions...Grass clipping lay real flat across this. I'm calling it the Mulliins modification- Thanks Norm!

I have a few longsprings and I think I"ll try the furnace filter. My longsprings have the original pans on them so they don't stay set reliably with the screen. Some of the old books and articles I have read mention cloth pan covers cut out of old denim and some other things under the pan. I am going to use them early before the rain / freeze things hits us again.

[Linked Image]

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/08/20 02:26 PM

Larry if you move your notch on your trap dog up to the corner also it will help with bubble on the screen .

Good post Larry

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/08/20 05:32 PM

There is no notch. There is no bubble. Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/14/20 12:26 AM

Equipment can vary area to area depending on the target species and the prevalence of critters you do not want to catch.

I use poly = allows me to bed dirt firm inside the jaws. You can't do that with screen. Screen also becomes visible quicker during a rain (when the critters move!) so you have washed out patterns. Packed in dirt inside the jaws stays working longer. I used screen for 30 years. I've used poly for about 20.

I use wax dirt = no frozen anything anymore.

I use small traps = I get on ranches and private ground where previous trappers held the wrong thing and got the boot. I'm good at gaining permission or getting contract work so I have to consider all angles. If all I had was coyotes, I'd use a MB950!

The downside = the animal has to be right on the pan to fire it. There is no increased kill zone as a screen gives you. This is tricky on a smaller MB550 trap than on a larger jaw spread of course. So you need to be good at showing them where to step.

The plus = fewer toe catches.

Oh and on the poly, ask those who've attended my Trapper's Academy and who pulled out poly...
I take their plug, cut it down by 90-95% and hand it back!
There you go.
18 states in all terrains and ground and weather.
It works.

Blessings y'all!
Mark

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/14/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
There is no notch. There is no bubble. Thanks

Larry reason I ask is because use a dogless trap ,,, I file in a notch on the corner it allows the pan to drop below the jaws and a notch on the screen and it just slides in between dog and jaws when trap is set and stays there.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/14/20 01:31 AM

I went this way.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I started with rpmartins idea and played with it until I found what I liked.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/15/20 08:52 PM

Wet dog that looks like it should work well for that trap .

Mark I saw you do a demo someplace once upon a time, I don’t think you used enough Polly to make a pillow for an ant. So is their really any need for Polly with your bedding method ?

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/15/20 10:00 PM

Great pictures Wetdog. Anyone else have any pictures?
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/16/20 02:31 PM

Mark I saw you do a demo someplace once upon a time, I don’t think you used enough Polly to make a pillow for an ant. So is their really any need for Polly with your bedding method ?

Mark- could you post a picture of a wad of polyfil, the size you would use with a MB550, with something for a size reference? I think it would shock and HELP a lot of polyfil users.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/16/20 03:00 PM

When I used poly,I would use a piece,app the size of a cottonball.,for round pans 2.5"-3",then pulled it out to the size of the pan.I made sure it didn't extend past the pan edge,otherwise you are inviting small animals to pick at it.You are just trying to fill the space under the pan,lightly.A light,fluffy pad gives water a better chance to pass through.

I used the Poly for decades and it worked well but I find the fiberglass pads that I use now,save a little time at the set,eliminate mice picking and a few other advantages.Any time I can do work at home,preseason so that I don't have to at the set,that is my choice.With precut pads,there is no tearing,pulling or tucking at the set.For me,this has been the simplest solution.You just slide it under the pan and go.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/16/20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Equipment can vary area to area depending on the target species and the prevalence of critters you do not want to catch.

I use poly = allows me to bed dirt firm inside the jaws. You can't do that with screen. Screen also becomes visible quicker during a rain (when the critters move!) so you have washed out patterns. Packed in dirt inside the jaws stays working longer. I used screen for 30 years. I've used poly for about 20.

I use wax dirt = no frozen anything anymore.

I use small traps = I get on ranches and private ground where previous trappers held the wrong thing and got the boot. I'm good at gaining permission or getting contract work so I have to consider all angles. If all I had was coyotes, I'd use a MB950!

The downside = the animal has to be right on the pan to fire it. There is no increased kill zone as a screen gives you. This is tricky on a smaller MB550 trap than on a larger jaw spread of course. So you need to be good at showing them where to step.

The plus = fewer toe catches.

Oh and on the poly, ask those who've attended my Trapper's Academy and who pulled out poly...
I take their plug, cut it down by 90-95% and hand it back!
There you go.
18 states in all terrains and ground and weather.
It works.

Blessings y'all!
Mark

I've noticed the opposite on my line. I used poly before but after a medium to hard rain i would have dirt washed under my pan, enough to make the pan noticeable and had some misses. The screen method most people use was imo better but still not good enough. That's why i started shaping the screen to fit inside the jaws and level with the top of the trap. There is no possible way for the dirt to get washed under the pan.
Where i trap the coyotes run hard right after a storm goes through so your traps have to be ready. Just my 2 cents and observations.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/16/20 09:24 PM

I have 11 kinds of dirt in the field in front of my house. They all act a little different during wet or freezing weather. Right now I am waxing sandy soil. I like it the best but some soils have a lot of clay so I bed in a wedge shaped hole and pound the soil along the jaws and leave the center deep so water water runs through the whole trap bed. Some soil here is sandy loam. Sometimes I don't even need to dig I just brush a trap bed with my hand. Sand bars are like that. I have some longsprings I like for those spots. I wad grass or leaves and stick under the pan and that works but I need to have something pre-made to I don't have to hunt for materials. I found a scrap of a piece of cushion along the road the other day. I think I can get 40 pieces out it to slide under my pans. I think I'll bury it and see if the foxes in my yard can smell it.

Why do you guys like poly fill over something like a piece of foam under the pan? Seems like screen will keep out more of the dirt? Is it a difference in soil types?

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/17/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ditchdiver

Mark- could you post a picture of a wad of polyfil, the size you would use with a MB550, with something for a size reference? I think it would shock and HELP a lot of polyfil users.

Ditchdiver,

I would but I'm at a ranch where I have internet but no cell service. I can text and send pics iPhone to iPhone, but not to my TMan laptop. I'd say it's about the size of a 50 cent piece BUT DO NOT WAD IT ROUND AND ROUND!

I prefer no poundage inflection from my pan cover, or in this case the under pan method. I have used foam under the pan, and it works well, but you'd have to have a very soft fill. Nothing hard.

I firmly pack dirt inside the jaws and it really aids me in rain. It rained here today. About 1/2" or so. I'd have issues with pan covers, but poly was A-OK.

When I put poly under my pan, it takes about a nano second. Trappers at my Academy say Holy Cow, he's got the set done already and I'd still be putting on my pan cover!
Speed baby. Speed.

MJ

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/17/20 11:46 PM

Mark your right about pan covers but not all pan covers are equal imo.
There are things you can do make that process faster and much easier.
My wire screen cover slide in once the trap set jaw holds screen in place without any fuss. On a truly dogless trap (Monty style type )
On a dog on trap I would probably go your route.
Because I would replace the pan on a bridger trap and use the rod dog and pan that Ed Medved sells.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/18/20 03:38 AM

Makes a lot of sense red mt.
We should always be on the look out for improved efficiency and effectiveness.
Appreciate your insight!

Mark

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/18/20 04:57 AM

Ok here what I did to my traps back in the late 80s once started using Monty style traps ,,,move the notch to the corner 2 or 3 strokes with a 3 corner file is all that is needed for pan tension add more strokes as needed if you want more tension (but becareful) a little goes a long ways.
[Linked Image]
Next is trap set [Linked Image]
Next trap set to nite latch which allows screen to just slide in once the free jaw is lifted [Linked Image]
The gap allows screen to slide in once free jaw is lifted sorry about no screen if needed I get one put in for a picture.
[Linked Image]
I might this post that by putting notch there also you get a very little pan travel if any

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/18/20 08:42 PM

Ahhh. Got it.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/19/20 05:56 AM

I started to use polyfill last fall trapping with a Dick Atkins from PA who got the tip from a Mark June. I love it. Saves time. I also use the MB 550 traps. I do use some steel screen on my MB 650 and NO BS K9 Extreme Junior traps when I use the Pipe Dream sets.
Posted By: hollowtrapper

Re: What's Under Your Pan? - 06/21/20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
Ok here what I did to my traps back in the late 80s once started using Monty style traps ,,,move the notch to the corner 2 or 3 strokes with a 3 corner file is all that is needed for pan tension add more strokes as needed if you want more tension (but becareful) a little goes a long ways.
[Linked Image]
Next is trap set [Linked Image]
Next trap set to nite latch which allows screen to just slide in once the free jaw is lifted [Linked Image]
The gap allows screen to slide in once free jaw is lifted sorry about no screen if needed I get one put in for a picture.
[Linked Image]
I might this post that by putting notch there also you get a very little pan travel if any

Hey redmt for sharing those photos i run the #2 and #3 montgomerys and am always looking at ways to do the pan tension
© 2024 Trapperman Forums