Home

New to footholding

Posted By: TyT

New to footholding - 06/01/20 11:46 PM

Hey all, new guy from Canada. Really like the site so I’d figured I’d join so I can ask a few questions.

Snared a few coyotes and foxes last year, and am looking to get a few footholds for the coming season.

Traps need to be modified, targeting coyote but foxes are around too.

Any recommendations? Or ways to keep foxes off a coyote set?

Posted By: Yes sir

Re: New to footholding - 06/02/20 03:39 AM

This doesn't directly answer your question but you might watch some Trapping Inc on YouTube. They have some good trapping videos and i think they are in Canda. And welcome to trapperman!
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: New to footholding - 06/02/20 10:38 AM

welcome you will not keep a k9 off a k9 set you can set the pan at 4 pounds or higher that may help
Posted By: YOTEBOY

Re: New to footholding - 06/02/20 01:05 PM

Join the Manitoba Trappers Association and when you do , find out from them who in your area foothold traps. Get ahold of them and take a lesson or two from them. The MTA will let you know the legalities of footholds in your province.

Re: New to footholding - 06/02/20 03:13 PM

Good advice, thanks
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: New to footholding - 06/02/20 03:34 PM

as mentioned, searching out a local mentor will shorten your learning curve by decades.

not just joining your assn., but becoming ACTIVE in it often opens many doors.

It sure did for me! ended up with mentors, land access, and customers.
Posted By: Dennis W

Re: New to footholding - 06/03/20 01:03 AM

If you haven't already looked in the archives send a couple hours in there.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: New to footholding - 06/10/20 12:23 PM

Check your mail box
Posted By: Teacher

Re: New to footholding - 06/14/20 11:56 AM

Tyt.

Please clarify something for me. It’s something I’ve always wondered about but never thought to ask. Okay, I’ve always thought trapping in Canada was restricted to registered trapline. And buying one was extremely difficult. It sounds like you’ve been able to catch coyotes and fox without being on registered land?
Posted By: YOTEBOY

Re: New to footholding - 06/14/20 03:12 PM

It all depends on the province you live in. I’m from Saskatchewan. Here the province is basically divided in half, the northern forested area and the southern farm country. In the southern half once you pass your Trappers Ed. class all you need is landowners permission to trap anywhere you want. The north part is basically broken up into registered lines and then the trapper who owns the lease to that line is the only one that can trap that line.

Re: New to footholding - 06/14/20 05:11 PM

Manitoba is much like Saskatchewan. Southern 1/3 or so of the province is an open trapping area while northern 2/3 is RTL area. In the south we can trap anywhere with permission, on crown land, or leased crown land with permission from the lease holder.

In the open trapping area we are required to use power snares (RAM’s), while in the RTL area common suspended snares are allowed.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: New to footholding - 06/14/20 08:30 PM

Thanks. That clarifies a lot !
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: New to footholding - 06/15/20 11:53 AM

Pan tension is the best way to avoid a lot of non target catches in a canine set. I was setting mb 550's and missed quite a few fox because of its pan tension. I now use mb450's and catch most critters and coyotes seem to hold well except a few toe catches.

Re: New to footholding - 06/15/20 02:09 PM

Good to know, thanks. I picked up half a dozen laminated bridger # 3’s and spent a few hours on them this past weekend. They all trip between 2.5-3 lbs
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: New to footholding - 06/15/20 03:01 PM

What did you find out.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: New to footholding - 06/15/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by TyT
Good to know, thanks. I picked up half a dozen laminated bridger # 3’s and spent a few hours on them this past weekend. They all trip between 2.5-3 lbs

Here a big fox weighs 12 pounds, so I set my pan tension at 3 with the tension screw tested dead center of the pan if I don't want fox.. Any set that will trap a yote will catch fox also.. Your fox might weigh more or less. Take the foxes weight and divide by 4 to get your base weight.

Re: New to footholding - 06/15/20 04:48 PM

Unlimited texting and calling to Canada only...

Re: New to footholding - 06/15/20 04:52 PM

Hmm, maybe I’ll increase the tension a bit then. These # 3’s seem like a lot of trap for a fox.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums