Home

Waxed Dirt

Posted By: Pike River

Waxed Dirt - 07/01/20 02:59 PM

Anyone taking advantage of this heat to prepare your dirt?

How are you going about it?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/01/20 06:39 PM

Just made 30 gallons this week. Would have made more but ran out of dry sand and now we're finally getting well needed rain, may be a few days until I can resume production. I use solar with good results. 4'x8' piece of plywood with 2x4 frame, all painted flat black. Cover with a 4'x8' glass patio table top. I heat up my sand in it before adding my wax, seems to work better for me. Add wax and work in good after it's melted. Reheat and work it again until it all looks wet. I place in plastic tubs and place lose fitting lid until needed.
Posted By: Outdoors Guy

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/02/20 08:24 PM

I dried out dirt awhile ago and know i have 90 degree weather here and some good clear skies, i go about it the solar method with a big black tarp so it happens when i'm at my job and it does it on its own very effective get a lot done at a time already got about 30 gallons done earlier this season and doing another 30ish now.
Posted By: mushfoot

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/03/20 12:06 AM

have done 45 gallons all on a trap
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/03/20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Outdoors Guy
I dried out dirt awhile ago and know i have 90 degree weather here and some good clear skies, i go about it the solar method with a big black tarp so it happens when i'm at my job and it does it on its own very effective get a lot done at a time already got about 30 gallons done earlier this season and doing another 30ish now.

Do you cover it at night so the dew doesn't spoil it?

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/03/20 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by Outdoors Guy

Do you cover it at night so the dew doesn't spoil it?

Remove your dirt when your done for the day. I don't like to leave it out overnight.

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/03/20 04:41 PM

correct dont leave it out overnight if you can avoid it or else the dew gets on it and you have to deal with that
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/06/20 12:18 AM

I want to try wax dirt this year for first time but have not gotten any wax yet. With this heat I'm afraid I'll just end up with a large clump in the mail.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/06/20 12:30 AM

You probably will
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/06/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by son-of-grizz
I want to try wax dirt this year for first time but have not gotten any wax yet. With this heat I'm afraid I'll just end up with a large clump in the mail.

Got mine from MTP last year when it was hot with no melting issues.

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/06/20 09:53 PM

No problems here when I ordered some last summer. If it get's that hot I would think you would have a lot more issues than your wax melting.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/06/20 11:32 PM

I have a large 20 pound clump that i left in a hot building if you want to borrow it and see what it's like. I need to figure an easy way to chop it up into flakes. I thought about using it for trap wax, but I think it is a different formulation with less bees wax.

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56

I have a large 20 pound clump that i left in a hot building if you want to borrow it and see what it's like. I need to figure an easy way to chop it up into flakes. I thought about using it for trap wax, but I think it is a different formulation with less bees wax.

Electric planner works, just watch your fingers!
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 05:02 AM

Got 40 lbs of wax from FNT last week, all good. Will gather dirt and sand this weekend, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight from hot and dry here. I use the solar method, I set up two table with plastic covers.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 12:49 PM

Sounds like I might as well give it a shot. Getting frustrated with salt rusting my traps after coon shine them up.
Posted By: Birdman382

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 02:43 PM

Can a guy use river sand that was dredged and pilled up and then also add some regular dirt dried. What ratio of river sand to dirt, we have clay in our area. Thanks Guys
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Birdman382
Can a guy use river sand that was dredged and pilled up and then also add some regular dirt dried. What ratio of river sand to dirt, we have clay in our area. Thanks Guys

Yes, you can mix the 2. A 50/50 mix is a good start. You can adjust to your preference later on.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 04:39 PM

I do this. I have a trash can full so far. The glass gets it pretty hot. I cannot touch it for very long.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Arrow B

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 06:05 PM

[Linked Image]
I have two boxes like this they work real well
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
I do this. I have a trash can full so far. The glass gets it pretty hot. I cannot touch it for very long.

[Linked Image]

How often do you mix the dirt with your set up?

Re: Waxed Dirt - 07/07/20 07:32 PM

I believe most trapping companies you buy wax from say they will only shipmit when the weather will not make it into a block. Check f and t I believe that they take it into account and will hold your order until it is safer to ship
© 2024 Trapperman Forums