Home

Determining used trap value/worth?

Posted By: BTLowry

Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/04/20 09:17 PM

How do you determine used trap pricing?

Is there any standard? Like 75% of same trap new?

Would be traps in like new or 90%+ condition

From what I have seen, once someone sells something in the classifieds on this site they erase the what and how much, makes it hard to research smile
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/04/20 09:37 PM

Start out on the high side and if they don't sell drop the price. Condition of the trap will be the deciding factor as to pricing.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/04/20 10:50 PM

Condition, popularity, rarity, collectible or user traps, quality of your pictures and descriptions, even trap treatments are all factors that effect what people will pay, oh, and stupidity seems to come into play often as well. crazy

I'm a moderator on the Trap Shed, if you want to PM me what you have, I'll be happy to try and help you find your best sale price.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/05/20 05:25 AM

ADC is right- even the best cared for inexpensive traps will only garner so much interest. Something known to be a tank like a Sterling or a Jake is not only much more rare, but it is also known there are very few ways to screw one up. I have become a fan of traps with ease of use like the Montana traps but you don't see a lot of them offered up used. I suspect I know why...
Posted By: red mt

Re: Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/05/20 06:10 AM

Some traps sell them selves ,,some traps you will have hard time giving them away.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/05/20 01:27 PM

Most traps I wont pay more than 1/2 the cost of new. Of course lots of people will. You can even get more than new price. I have seen that at auctions many times. A lot depends on the fad of the day too. Somebody starts talking about a new set or something, or why this mod is superior to everything else, that kind of thing, it can add value if you have that trap for sale. The opposite can happen too. Get somebody saying a trap has a problem, even if the problem isnt a problem, and value drops.

So anyway start high. If your selling something there is interest in you will get offers by P.M. If you don't get offers, lower the price.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/06/20 08:34 PM

For users, I go with 75% of what a new Duke goes for.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/06/20 11:09 PM

I always think that if someone did mods the price goes down for me. I have seen too many night latch jobs gone wrong, weak springs, additional welding, etc.

If they truly are 90% New you should be able to get 75% of new price. I say that because at a certain point a person might just as well buy new.

Brian
Posted By: Outdoors Guy

Re: Determining used trap value/worth? - 07/07/20 07:30 PM

I second green bay, it may take time to sell some of the less "cool" traps. What I mean is its alot easier to sell dps at 75 percent of new then a #1 coil in my area
© 2024 Trapperman Forums